Chris Judd - Greatest player of the 21st Century (so far)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are people putting up top 5's & top 10's? The OP (a Carlton supporter) was telling us it was Judd at the time the thread was started, but now.....

It's simple guys, Dustin Martin and we all know it, so there really is no need to muddy the waters by putting up names of your favourites to try start some silly and unnecessary debates.

So that's Dustin Martin!

I think it would be good if an unbiased Geelong supporter started a "Dustin Martin - Greatest player of the 21st Century (so far)" thread, where we could all share some of our favourite stories of the great man. I'll kick it off.

My favourite moment was that goal against Geelong in the 2020 GF, the one where he was carrying Dangerfield around like backpack!

My profile pic is one of my personal fav moments. Wasn’t in his prime and don’t argued GAJ in his prime.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

According to Champion data BigFooty thread stats, Chris Judd is clearly the greatest footballer of recent memory with over 32% more posts about him than the second most talked about player in the league.

apologies, I completely made this up-sounds correct though
#wearechampiondatasgrandfinal
Dusty the Messi of AFL!

If you go by my criteria of any player drafted on or after the year 2000, so players like Scarlett, Pav, Buckley, Hird Voss etc are ineligible.

Judd's record stands by itself, and this year first player i believe to poll more then 20 brownlow votes in 5 seasons.

For sheer consistency the only player that comes to Judd for mantle of best 21st century player is Gary Ablett Jnr, but his first season didn't set the world on fire.

Yes I know this century is only 11 years old, but clearly Judd will be remembered as this century's first AFL immortal, will be named as a legend in the AFL Hall of Fame when he retires, and rightfully so.

Hall of fame don’t use your ‘drafted since 2000’ criteria by the way?

Good top 5. I'd have the same top 3 as you (in the same order probably) and would round out my top 5 with 4. Dustin Martin, 5. Sam Mitchell.

The next 5 would indeed feature Scott Pendlebury and Joel Selwood with the other 3 probably being Patrick Dangerfield, Nat Fyfe and Nick Riewoldt.

Hard to do with so many unlucky.

Thought I'd have a go at a 'next 10' (i.e. 11-20) which was even harder than the top 10.

My next 10 (in approximate but not specific order) would be:

Luke Hodge, Dean Cox, Tom Hawkins, Max Gawn, Alex Rance, Dane Swan, Jack Riewoldt, Marcus Bontempelli, Steve Johnson and Eddie Betts.

After a mid-dominant top 10 (8 of the 10), good to see the next 10 features a better variety of positions. Plenty of unluckies again (Josh Kennedy, Jimmy Bartel, Lachie Neale, Jarryd Roughead, the list goes on...).

Interesting that the 99 draft if included would have a couple of definates and few in contention including Matthew Pavlich, Corey Enright, Jonathon Brown, Darren Glass and even guys like Luke McPharlin and Daniel Kerr knocking on the door.

I'll cop the Selwood over Gibbs argument, but no way is Cotchin a better player than Kruezer, aside from the fact big blokes take longer to develop and he came back from a knee reco.

His game against the Swans this year at Etihad, when he tore Mumford a new one, shows how good Kruezer can and WILL be.
Not saying Cotchin can't play, he's a gun and future Tigers captain, but Kruezer is the type of player we will build our flag hopes around next year and beyond
This didn't age well

Not sure of the order, but Ablett Jnr, Martin, Franklin, Selwood, Mitchell and Pendlebury have all had better careers than Judd.

He doesn't deserve to be named alongside Gaz snr, Lethal, Duck as one of the best ever either.

On what basis is Ablett ahead of Judd?

Sure, Ablett's 5 years has been phenomenal and clearly the best player over that period...however Judd's been second best.

Judd was arguably the best player in the league between 2003-2006, Ablett nowhere near it.

On Brownlow votes:
20+: Judd 5, Ablett 5 in a row
15+: Judd 8 in a row, Ablett 5 in a row
10+: Judd 9 in a row, Ablett 5 in a row

I'm sure Ron The Bear will tell me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware, nobody's ever managed 15+ Brownlow votes bar Gary Dempsey (who did it 12 times). Nobody has done it 8 years in a row.

In the period 2000-2011, I'm not sure how you can question that Judd's been the best player. 9 years amongst the game's elite is better than Ablett's 5.

I'd go as far to say that Judd's been close to, if not the most consistently brilliant player to ever play the game.
Still have that same opinion in 2022?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn't though, he went to Gold Coast for the "challenge." He won a brownlow by getting force fed possessions and ultimately didn't help Gold Coast make the 8, which would've been the goal.

lol, was single handedly carrying Gold Coast to the finals in 2014 until he busted his shoulder against Collingwood.

9-6 and sitting 8th pre-shoulder injury
1-6 and finished 10th post shoulder injury

Came 3rd in the Brownlow, 4 votes behind Priddis and 3 behind Fyfe who finished 2nd. After Ablett was injured, Priddis polled 12 votes and Fyfe 11, he played 3 games less than Fyfe and 7 less than Priddis.

He was leading the club b&f, going for 4 straight, he finished 4th behind Swallow, Lynch and Prestia.

Not sure of the order, but Ablett Jnr, Martin, Franklin, Selwood, Mitchell and Pendlebury have all had better careers than Judd.

He doesn't deserve to be named alongside Gaz snr, Lethal, Duck as one of the best ever either.
I'd take Judd over Ablett.

Only other with a legitimate case is Buddy, but you are correct
Yep, I reckon the top 3 pick themselves, and in an objectively correct order:
1. GAJ
2. Buddy
3. Judd

The next batch is where subjectivity enters the analysis, and could reasonably be any one of 8 players, in any order, rounding out the top 10 - (on alphabetical order) Dangerfield, Fyfe, Hodge, D. Martin, S. Mitchell, Pendlebury, N. Riewoldt, J. Selwood.

Yep, I reckon the top 3 pick themselves, and in an objectively correct order:
1. GAJ
2. Buddy
3. Judd

The next batch is where subjectivity enters the analysis, and could reasonably be any one of 8 players, in any order, rounding out the top 10 - (on alphabetical order) Dangerfield, Fyfe, Hodge, D. Martin, S. Mitchell, Pendlebury, N. Riewoldt, J. Selwood.

and the thing is Ablett is only a little better than Judd, and a little better than the likes of Fyfe, Martin, Pendlebury etc. Buddy is so far ahead of the number 2 key forward of this era it isn't even a contest.

The only position where there is simply no debate about who was the best of this era is Buddy as key forward.

and the thing is Ablett is only a little better than Judd, and a little better than the likes of Fyfe, Martin, Pendlebury etc. Buddy is so far ahead of the number 2 key forward of this era it isn't even a contest.

The only position where there is simply no debate about who was the best of this era is Buddy as key forward.

If Buddy managed to win a flag with the Swans, he definitely would get my choice as Number 1.

Probably have to go with GAJ as it stands now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Judd - Greatest player of the 21st Century (so far)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back