Chris Judd - Greatest player of the 21st Century (so far)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bump.

My Top 5 players drafted since 2000.

1. GAJ
2. Franklin
3. Judd
4. Selwood
5. Pendlebury

Good top 5. I'd have the same top 3 as you (in the same order probably) and would round out my top 5 with 4. Dustin Martin, 5. Sam Mitchell.

The next 5 would indeed feature Scott Pendlebury and Joel Selwood with the other 3 probably being Patrick Dangerfield, Nat Fyfe and Nick Riewoldt.

Hard to do with so many unlucky.

1. Ablett
2. Buddy
3. Judd
4. Fyfe
5. Martin
6. Nick Riewoldt
7. Pendlebury
8. Dangerfield
9. Mitchell
10. Selwood

Good top 5. I'd have the same top 3 as you (in the same order probably) and would round out my top 5 with 4. Dustin Martin, 5. Sam Mitchell.

The next 5 would indeed feature Scott Pendlebury and Joel Selwood with the other 3 probably being Patrick Dangerfield, Nat Fyfe and Nick Riewoldt.

Hard to do with so many unlucky.
Yep, reckon that's a great Top 10.

The only other one I'd consider in the Top 10 is Luke Hodge (Leadership, big game performances).

But does he get in ahead of one of the others?

The only other one I'd consider in the Top 10 is Luke Hodge (Leadership, big game performances).

Yes, a good call and probably near the top of my list of unluckies.

Riewoldt vs Hodge is an impossible comparison as they played such different roles.

The only one in my top 10 who I am pretty unsure of is Nat Fyfe. Top 10 on peak no doubt and I reckon his 2014-2015 peak is above Hodge at his peak.

However, Fyfe has only played 209 games and his last 2 seasons have been below average (due to injury), meaning his elite period was 'only' up to around game 180.

Whereas Hodge was elite (or very near it) until well after game 300. Finals performances probably shade Fyfe too (who has had some big finals himself).

Depends what you go on though - longevity vs peak, etc.

1. Buddy
2. GAJ
3. Martin
4. Judd
5. N Reiwoldt
6. Fyfe
7. Dangerfield
8. J Reiwoldt
9. T Hawkins
10 Pendles
Decent list but you had Stewart in your lifetime best 22 so now I’m confused

Why are people putting up top 5's & top 10's? The OP (a Carlton supporter) was telling us it was Judd at the time the thread was started, but now.....

It's simple guys, Dustin Martin and we all know it, so there really is no need to muddy the waters by putting up names of your favourites to try start some silly and unnecessary debates.

So that's Dustin Martin!

I think it would be good if an unbiased Geelong supporter started a "Dustin Martin - Greatest player of the 21st Century (so far)" thread, where we could all share some of our favourite stories of the great man. I'll kick it off.

My favourite moment was that goal against Geelong in the 2020 GF, the one where he was carrying Dangerfield around like backpack!

It's simple guys, Dustin Martin and we all know it, so there really is no need to muddy the waters by putting up names of your favourites to try start some silly and unnecessary debates.

So that's Dustin Martin!

I think it would be good if an unbiased Geelong supporter started a "Dustin Martin - Greatest player of the 21st Century (so far)" thread, where we could all share some of our favourite stories of the great man. I'll kick it off.

My favourite moment was that goal against Geelong in the 2020 GF, the one where he was carrying Dangerfield around like backpack!
This goal is better

So why did you have Pendlebury ahead of Hodge, it can't be because of "Leadership, big game performance"?

Decent list but you had Stewart in your lifetime best 22 so now I’m confused
As I said at that time it was based on his career continuing the way it is now, doesnt have the runs on the board yet. Also much easier to get into best lifetimes 22 on a HBF compared to best all up of last 20+ years. He isnt close to this list.

As I said at that time it was based on his career continuing the way it is now, doesnt have the runs on the board yet. Also much easier to get into best lifetimes 22 on a HBF compared to best all up of last 20+ years. He isnt close to this list.
Don’t think he should be near this list personally but figured he might’ve made yours if any

This goal is better

It's a good goal, but many players have scored similar goals like that now, and for his to be better than Dustin's the backpack he would need to be carrying around would have to be Dustin himself.

Dustin was pickin' pockets, carrying backpacks, Gary assessed the situation well and then just had to execute a good kick, so because Dustin had a lot more to do that increases the degree of difficulty in my opinion.

It's a good goal, but many players have scored similar goals like that now, and for his to be better than Dustin's the backpack he would need to be carrying around would have to be Dustin himself.

Dustin was pickin' pockets, carrying backpacks, Gary assessed the situation well and then just had to execute a good kick, so because Dustin had a lot more to do that increases the degree of difficulty in my opinion.
Love Dusty, special player, buy he aint GAJ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So why did you have Pendlebury ahead of Hodge, it can't be because of "Leadership, big game performance"?
Because there were numerous criteria, and they were Hodge's strengths.

Pendles leadership record not bad either - record number of games as Collingwood captain. Big games performances? Did you see his Norm Smith Medal winning game in the 2010 Grand Final?

But Pendles is ahead of Hodge simply because he has been a better footballer for longer. 14 x Top 3 Club Best and Fairest finishes, 84 more Brownlow votes than Hodge, etc.

Judd was a beautiful player, the running at speed, the agility, clean skills, cutting his way through traffic. Sadly, he chose Carlton. Imagine if he went to a top 6 side, that would have been good to watch for his 2nd half.

GAJ has all the skills and smarts, plus, incredible consistency. That is the astonishing thing about him. Brilliant for many YEARS. Imagine if he went to RFC, or Collingwood, instead of Suns, in the spotlight, playing brilliantly every week front and centre of the sports pages, geewizz.

Pendles leadership record not bad either - record number of games as Collingwood captain.
No where near as good a leader as Hodge. Scott couldn't lead Collingwood to a win over an interstate team in a GF at the 'G, and the following year couldn't lead you to a win over GWS 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 and that's in what you called "the weakest era in the history of the game," with a "better list" than Richmond's, that's why I believe you making up a list to include him in is surely a pisstake?

Big games performances? Did you see his Norm Smith Medal winning game in the 2010 Grand Final?
He got his in the replay. If Richmond coulda had 3 replays Dustin would have 6 Norm Smiths, because Dustin isn't known for not collecting Norm Smith medals on GF day.
But Pendles is ahead of Hodge simply because he has been a better footballer for longer. 14 x Top 3 Club Best and Fairest finishes, 84 more Brownlow votes than Hodge, etc.
None of that there puts him ahead of Hodge.

No where near as good a leader as Hodge. Scott couldn't lead Collingwood to a win over an interstate team in a GF at the 'G, and the following year couldn't lead you to a win over GWS 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 and that's in what you called "the weakest era in the history of the game," with a "better list" than Richmond's, that's why I believe you making up a list to include him in is surely a pisstake?

He got his in the replay. If Richmond coulda had 3 replays Dustin would have 6 Norm Smiths, because Dustin isn't known for not collecting Norm Smith medals on GF day.

None of that there puts him ahead of Hodge.
Compelling as always, Falcon.

GAJ has all the skills and smarts, plus, incredible consistency. That is the astonishing thing about him. Brilliant for many YEARS. Imagine if he went to RFC, or Collingwood, instead of Suns, in the spotlight, playing brilliantly every week front and centre of the sports pages, geewizz.
He didn't though, he went to Gold Coast for the "challenge." He won a brownlow by getting force fed possessions and ultimately didn't help Gold Coast make the 8, which would've been the goal.

He didn't though, he went to Gold Coast for the "challenge." He won a brownlow by getting force fed possessions and ultimately didn't help Gold Coast make the 8, which would've been the goal.
I don't think you watched any suns games.
ROAR!

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Judd - Greatest player of the 21st Century (so far)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back