Chris Judd - Greatest player of the 21st Century (so far)

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam Goodes is the best player of his generation. In the top 5 Swans ever. In any order, Skilton, Pratt, Lockett, Williams, Goodes. And that's leaving some pretty good ones out, including Brownlow medallists.

The Judds of the world come and go. History will rank Ablett Junior higher, in 2011 he received the same number of Brownlow points as Judd, in a Gold Coast team that lost all year.

Can I suggest that Mr Bartel can now make a claim for this honour - a Brownlow, a Norm Smith, 3 premierships as well as playing in prelims the last 5 years and a magnificent win loss record over the last 6 years.

And before the Judd supporters come out remember Judd had Cousins who won a Brownlow and Kerr who came close in his midfield.

It was a different era of football, when the calibre of a footballer was judged not by the number of possessions next to his name, but by the impact he had on the contest. :)

That's just laughable. To say ANY player has had more impact on contests than Ablett since '07 is just imbecilic.

Ablett is easily the better all-round footballer. Chris Judd's contested marking and kicking ability are nothing but average(at best), which has never changed. Ablett excels in both these areas. I wouldn't have thought Judd has Ablett covered in any discipline, Ablett obviously has Judd in several.

Note that I'm likely darker on Ablett Jnr than the average neutral supporter. I really don't like the guy at all tbo.

I'll cop the Selwood over Gibbs argument, but no way is Cotchin a better player than Kruezer, aside from the fact big blokes take longer to develop and he came back from a knee reco.

His game against the Swans this year at Etihad, when he tore Mumford a new one, shows how good Kruezer can and WILL be.
Not saying Cotchin can't play, he's a gun and future Tigers captain, but Kruezer is the type of player we will build our flag hopes around next year and beyond

Hope there is not any actual argument about that one.

To the OP. Judd. But Ablett will probably overtake him. And also Franklin.

Nah, looks like Juddy can't handle fatherhood. On the slide now.

We'll have to wait to see how G. Ablett JNR JNR affects the Baby Jesus' playing career. He's only going to play 99 games for the Suns, so we'll get to see The Third down at the Cattery in ~2030.

How do you judge "greatness" then?

Now I preface my comments with the observation that I am no particular champion of Bartel but I don't understand how people can be dismissive of him.

He is the 6th man to get the NS and Brownlow combo.

Now look at the numbers( taken from the AFL stats site):

Bartel - 205 games, average 5.6 marks per game, 23.1 disposals, 0.7 goals, 0.4 behinds, 0.5 hitouts, 4.3 tackles, 1,2 frees for, 1.1 frees against, 96 Brownlow Medal votes (0.5 average), 3 premierships, 1 Brownlow, 1 Norm Smith.

Judd - 222 games, ave 2.5 marks per game, 23 disposals, 0.9 goals, 0.7 behinds, 0.0 hitouts, 4.1 tackles, 1.2 frees for, 0.9 frees against, 185 Brownlow votes, 1 premiership, 2 Brownlows, 1 Norm Smith.

In finals

Bartel - 20 games (14 wins-6 losses), 5.5 marks per final, 25 disposals per final , 16 goals 3 behinds(in total), 16 hitouts(in total), 5.0 average tackles per final, 1.1 frees for and against average per final.

Judd - 15 games (6-9), 2 marks per final, 24 disposals per final, 10 goals 9 behinds (in total), 0 hitouts, 3.6 average tackles per finals, 1.1 average frees for and 0.5 average frees against in finals.

So greatness obviously appears not to be based on stats nor necessarily achievements.

So maybe greatness is judged on the importance of position then. If so, Scarlett would have to be right up as well as Goodes.

By the way, I'm not arguing Bartel is the greatest player so far but merely pointing out that Judd is not the greatest by a long way.

I'm sure Hawks fans can also bring up Hodge's numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OP states that players must be drafted after the turn of century I thought, thus ruling out scarlett no?

Pretty poor criteria. Played the majority of his football this century so deserves to be in contention for it. Got to feel for those drafted in 99 who aren't in contention for either century. :eek:

Yeah probably. But let's be honest, he is LOVED by the umps and definatley gets some votes that he doesn't deserve. But still he probably has been the best player so far in the 21st century, although I think Ablett would take first soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Judd - Greatest player of the 21st Century (so far)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back