Chris Mayne - alot of man love for his defensive pressure but what else does he contribute?

Remove this Banner Ad

Selggad

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
South of the River
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SUUUUUUbbiiiiiiiii
I missed the first quarter tonight so I missed the part where Mayne was apparently the only one doing much. The rest of his game was pretty ordinary. He ran around chasing blokes like he always does but didn't do much else. I was astonished to see peole giving him votes in the best player thread

I've had a look at his stats for the season. His averages are:

Disposals 11.5 (about 50/50 kicks and handballs)
Marks 5.2
Goals 1.5
Behinds 1.5
Tackles 4.5
Goals Assists o.2

Don't get me wrong, I like Mayne, too, but he simply isn't producing that much. We play him predominantly inside 50 - more as key forward than a high forward so he needs to be converting his opportunities and setting up other players. Deboer and Crowls are out defensive forward types. He is not in that role. All the forwards are expected to run, chase, tackle and harass and while Mayne is really good at this, he is no better than Balla, or Deboer when he is down there.

Mayne seemed to drop his bundle last year after he had that appalling miss when he didn't pass over the top to a free player. He wouldn't take a shot for goal for weeks after; even if he was in the goal square he was trying to hand it off. I don;t think he has got over it yet. I don't think he is doing what he is in the team to do, which is kick goals.

Taking the enthusiasm for his enthusiasm out of the question, do others really thing his returns are good enough at the moment?

I missed the first quarter tonight so I missed the part where Mayne was apparently the only one doing much. The rest of his game was pretty ordinary. He ran around chasing blokes like he always does but didn't do much else. I was astonished to see peole giving him votes in the best player thread

Marks 5.2
Goals 1.5
Behinds 1.5
Tackles 4.5
Goals Assists o.2

Don't get me wrong, I like Mayne, too, but he simply isn't producing that much. We play him predominantly inside 50 - more as key forward than a high forward so he needs to be converting his opportunities and setting up other players. Deboer and Crowls are out defensive forward types. He is not in that role. All the forwards are expected to run, chase, tackle and harass and while Mayne is really good at this, he is no better than Balla, or Deboer when he is down there.

Mayne seemed to drop his bundle last year after he had that appalling miss when he didn't pass over the top to a free player. He wouldn't take a shot for goal for weeks after; even if he was in the goal square he was trying to hand it off. I don;t think he has got over it yet. I don't think he is doing what he is in the team to do, which is kick goals.

Taking the enthusiasm for his enthusiasm out of the question, do others really thing his returns are good enough at the moment?

threads like this just give me another poster to ignore.

I think the main problem is that he shouldn't be the key forward. In an ideal team he'd be the pocket or flank to assist a CHF and FF.

Aside from that, he sets a tone and really put the pressure on a lot of plays coming out from our forward line. I think some of his goal kicking yips could be due to fatigue, but yeah, he really needs a goal kicking coach.

Dare I say make him our new Tarrant? Perhaps not quite yet but if we had half a dozen players with his chase and effort we would not be struggling nearly as much.

Does anybody at Freo actually know the basics of kicking a ball straight. Even Lowers goal in the last was shithouse technique. It's not ****ing rocket science. Drop the ball with precision and consistency and kick straight through the middle of it.

They either have technical coaches at freo who have completely no idea or the players aren't doing what they are told.:mad:

Marks 5.2
Goals 1.5
Behinds 1.5
Tackles 4.5
Goals Assists o.2

Yes it is. That bit in bold is the only thing he needs to get on top of, and then he's right and perfect for us - but even if he doesn't, when he's doing everything else well (like tonight) he's a vital cog in our fwd half structure. It's modern day footy, it's not just about individuals and their stats, it's about structure, organisation, pressure, versatility etc. etc. he plays his role perfectly.

What else does he offer? How about the 'Mayne minutes'!!!

Mayne's defensive pressure is enough to justify his place in the team. Lord help us if he ever learns how to kick.

he kept us in it till half time when the rest of the side decided to wake up.

Every Player has their function... He was great today.. didn't expect the goal.. If we are relying on him , then we are beaten..................maf

I think the main problem is that he shouldn't be the key forward. In an ideal team he'd be the pocket or flank to assist a CHF and FF.

Aside from that, he sets a tone and really put the pressure on a lot of plays coming out from our forward line. I think some of his goal kicking yips could be due to fatigue, but yeah, he really needs a goal kicking coach.

His goal kicking coach I heard him say is Murray Couper. if Coups can't help him know one can - Couper was simply the best kick of a football that I have ever seen. He was also the goal kicking coach at WC in there better days and has always been sought after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you rate Chris Dawes? Because he's averaging the same amount of scoring shots as him without the frequent Collingwood delivery/junk time stats. Considering Mayne isn't our #1 forward target, is that good enough for you? Yes he has trouble kicking straight, but it's not like our other forwards are being blisteringly accurate so far. At least you know he's working on it in training with Pav (who thankfully appears to be rediscovering his mojo lately) amongst others.

There is nothing further that needs to be said about his forward pressure, just look at his tackle count. Both he and Ballas are CRITICAL to our forward structure in this regard, and we're not going to win too many games with both of them out. de Boer (and Mellington as emerged tonight) can't do it themselves!

Another thing about Mayne is his on-field leadership. He frequently directs where players should be in the forward line, and leads by example better than anyone else in the team - especially when the chips are down. Such a quality should not be so easily overlooked.

He definitely deserved 1 vote tonight.

Suits me. I have no need to deal with fools and sycophants. If you can't handle a question that challenges the status quo, there is another board you can enjoy.

Yes it is. That bit in bold is the only thing he needs to get on top of, and then he's right and perfect for us - but even if he doesn't, when he's doing everything else well (like tonight) he's a vital cog in our fwd half structure. It's modern day footy, it's not just about individuals and their stats, it's about structure, organisation, pressure, versatility etc. etc. he plays his role perfectly.

Do you rate Chris Dawes? Because he's averaging the same amount of scoring shots as him without the frequent Collingwood delivery/junk time stats. Considering Mayne isn't our #1 forward target, is that good enough for you? Yes he has trouble kicking straight, but it's not like our other forwards are being blisteringly accurate so far. At least you know he's working on it in training with Pav (who thankfully appears to be rediscovering his mojo lately) amongst others.

There is nothing further that needs to be said about his forward pressure, just look at his tackle count. Both he and Ballas are CRITICAL to our forward structure in this regard, and we're not going to win too many games with both of them out. de Boer (and Mellington as emerged tonight) can't do it themselves!

Another thing about Mayne is his on-field leadership. He frequently directs where players should be in the forward line, and leads by example better than anyone else in the team - especially when the chips are down. Such a quality should not be so easily overlooked.

He definitely deserved 1 vote tonight.

Interesting that a few people have mentioned structure as this has been a continuing moan on the board this year - without Pav in the forward line we have no structure down there. Keplar and Mayne have been down there as the two main targets, but that doesn't seem to be sufficient to provide the direction we need.

The Dawes comparison is also interesting. There stats are almost identical except Dawes convert at 60% (Mayne at 50%) and tackles a little less.Hhis kick to handball ratio is a bit higher. Given he has a bit of an edge in height and weight, it makes Mayne's efforts look more impressive.

A few people have mentioned his tank - is he not fit enough? He runs around like a lunatic and is in his 4th seaqson.i would have though he would be pretty good on fitness.

I would also prefer to see him more in a flanker type role. Kep and Pav as the talls and Mayne of the flank would be my option.

he kept us in it till half time when the rest of the side decided to wake up.

Hits nail on head.

I'm going off on a tangent here. Pav does pretty much B ALL for the first half, takes some grabs in the second half, kicks goals and is lauded as BOG. Silvani comes in, plays a solid first half, then in the second half he dominates the backline with many high pressure marks. The media rate Pav's game highly, Silvani just solid.

The point I'm making is that Mayne gave everything when Freo were offering nothing. With the media, forward marks >>>>>>>>>> defensive marks.

There's no doubting that he's only doing 3/4's of his job, but that's enough to get a game in this current side.

If we had a full list to pick from then it should be another story.

The glossing over of his (and others) poor kicking at goal is wrong IMO, it accepts mediocrity. If it was JVB or Hinkley missing targets in the midfield this board would be all over it like a rash calling for them to be delisted!

Sel, it was a purple patch in that first quarter that woke the team up. Basically, our "efforts" in the forward 50 were fruitless, time and again Brisbane just went to counter attack and scored and did it with ease. Until Chopper turned into lunatic started tackling anything that moves. His tackling basically created Pav's first goal.

The glossing over of his (and others) poor kicking at goal is wrong IMO, it accepts mediocrity. If it was JVB or Hinkley missing targets in the midfield this board would be all over it like a rash calling for them to be delisted!

Agree. Mayne does generally provide good forward pressure, but I find the BF Freo board man love for him puzzling. We have a bunch of guys who get criticised frequently and regularly on this board who are no worse/better than Chris. Is it the Mayne Minutes? the Sideshow Bob hairdo?

Just my opinion, but I think he's had a mediocre season. Yet he generally avoids the predictable derision that flows on this board whenever Johnson, Pearce, Hinkley, Pitt, Crichton (to name just five) play a sub-par game.

Cant deny though that he was pretty good early last night.

I find it hard to criticise a guy who attacks the contest with as much desire as him, when we have so many players in the first 22 who cruise around looking for the easy ball.

He's not having his best season, but he isn't alone there. What has happened to Paul Duffield? I reckon if Palmer wasn't in the gun many would be suspecting he was off to GWS, because he has the intensity of a blancmange.

Mayne is great, the other things he offers is he often shuts down an opposition movement before it starts by his tackles or jumping into a pack.

I just think he is not good as a focal point. We need Pav or someone else to straighten the forward line up. Mayne is a flanker, a mopper, a good leading forward not a KPP or a key target, he doesn't have the skills or body to fill that role

Maybe, leads up to the ball and create space behind. Also, his spacing is very good and just needs to kick straight for set shots. 1.5 goals a game is quite good actually, thats 30 goals a season.

I really hate this continued attack on players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Mayne - alot of man love for his defensive pressure but what else does he contribute?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back