Chris Mayne - alot of man love for his defensive pressure but what else does he contribute?

Remove this Banner Ad

We seem to love sticking it to our players (a la Palmer)...

We are a better team with Mayne in it. Fullstop.

Certainly agree with the above but I don't feel he has played consistently at capacity in 2011...he is not alone however and with better players on the park, he too can become a better player, contribute more on the scoreboard and in general.

I would like to point out that I haven't "stuck it" to Mayne or attacked him at all. I've put a topic up for discussion. I haven't insulted or slagged off the player. Mayne predominantly is meant to be a goal kicking forward, and his goal kicking is patchy. He does get a lot of man love because of his ferocity, and that is a good thing, but I don't think it means we shouldn't scrutinize the other aspects of his game.

I would like to point out that I haven't "stuck it" to Mayne or attacked him at all. I've put a topic up for discussion. I haven't insulted or slagged off the player. Mayne predominantly is meant to be a goal kicking forward, and his goal kicking is patchy. He does get a lot of man love because of his ferocity, and that is a good thing, but I don't think it means we shouldn't scrutinize the other aspects of his game.
It's a fair comment, and I agree. But Mayne's not on his own in regards to goal scoring. There are few I'd back in to kick a goal in the team.

Ultimately it looks to me that the forwardline has no confidence in the way it works. It's been problem number one since the start of the season. When Pavlich is up there it looks so much more fluent - each other player knows his role, has confidence, and backs themselves to play their part.

I reckon the coaching staff put itself behind the eight ball when it decided Pavlich in the middle was the solution to the injury woes in that position. We haven't looked fluent in any area of the ground all year, aside from the key defensive posts with McPharlin and Grover.

It's a fair comment, and I agree. But Mayne's not on his own in regards to goal scoring. There are few I'd back in to kick a goal in the team.

Ultimately it looks to me that the forwardline has no confidence in the way it works. It's been problem number one since the start of the season. When Pavlich is up there it looks so much more fluent - each other player knows his role, has confidence, and backs themselves to play their part.

I reckon the coaching staff put itself behind the eight ball when it decided Pavlich in the middle was the solution to the injury woes in that position. We haven't looked fluent in any area of the ground all year, aside from the key defensive posts with McPharlin and Grover.

It seems strange that this entire board seems to think we are better with Pav up forward and the odd cameo in the middle. While there is some truth that using Pav as the big body helps us get the ball going and protects the young developing mids, that sort of protection doesn't yield many benefits in the long run. Palmer and Lower aren't exactly under done in terms of strength and physicality and Mundy is a mature body and those three were available until recently.

I think Harvey is smart and he has an eye on the longer term a lot of the time, but it is difficult to fathom his reasoning.

That's the biggest thing that struck me last night, for the first half anyway. We were playing with absolutely zero confidence, not just in our forward entries but across the entire ground. Dropping easy marks, not shepherding, poor foot skills, and terrible decision making. While obviously not our best, the 22 out there are better footballers then they showed for the first 2 quarters.

Pav goes forward and takes a few nice contested marks and all of a sudden the intensity picks up and we started looking a lot better. He's such a barometer for our team that having him at CHF or FF seems to everyone a massive confidence boost after which they start playing some pretty good footy.

Pav goes forward and takes a few nice contested marks and all of a sudden the intensity picks up and we started looking a lot better. He's such a barometer for our team that having him at CHF or FF seems to everyone a massive confidence boost after which they start playing some pretty good footy.

If you remember correctly, it actually went like this; Pav goes forward and takes a few nice contested marks, we hit the lead, then Brisbane get the next 3 goals in quick succession and Pav is moved back into the guts to stop the rot.

I'm sorry but there was no intensity lift because Pav went forward.

I see this as similar to the 'drop hill' thread. The player in question is contributing nicely but to become a truly great the player needs address a certain aspect of their game. In Mayne's case i too think much of it is a confidence issue. If he could take that next step, gee what a difference that would make (although he is by no means an orphan).

If you remember correctly, it actually went like this; Pav goes forward and takes a few nice contested marks, we hit the lead, then Brisbane get the next 3 goals in quick succession and Pav is moved back into the guts to stop the rot.

I'm sorry but there was no intensity lift because Pav went forward.

There wasn't, but that's the worry. Everything relies on Pav. Harvey's been at the helm for four years. The same game plan exists that he had in early 2008.

Anyone thinking we're going anywhere towards a premiership is fooling themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mayne, too, but he simply isn't producing that much. We play him predominantly inside 50 - more as key forward than a high forward so he needs to be converting his opportunities and setting up other players.

Not his fault. For some reason Harvey persists with playing guys out of position. Pav in the midfield. Mayne as a key forward when he should be a small forward/crumber. Zac Clarke as a midfielder. Palmer as a half forward.

Too often both Kepler and Mayne go up for a pack mark when the ball is bombed in long, instead of Kepler going up and Mayne staying on the ground to crumb or pressure whoever picks it up first. Simple things that would make it easier to lock the ball into our forward line, especially when we have Balla and DeBoer outside of the forward line (or injured obviously).

I think Harvs coached under Sheedy for too long. A left-field idea every now and then isn't a bad thing, but building our game plan around a number of left-field position selections just doesn't make sense.

I think the main problem is that he shouldn't be the key forward. In an ideal team he'd be the pocket or flank to assist a CHF and FF.

Aside from that, he sets a tone and really put the pressure on a lot of plays coming out from our forward line. I think some of his goal kicking yips could be due to fatigue, but yeah, he really needs a goal kicking coach.

Spot on. We haven't actually been very good with this for a few weeks. Teams have been bringing the ball out of our forward 50 pretty easily. Mayne is one of the few guys that've been applying the defensive pressure consistently. Especially with Balla out, and DeBoer in the midfield. And the example he sets is important.

One thing I've noticed (on this board and others) about this forum is the lack of perspective posters that don't atend games have!!

From the OP I assume you weren't at the game?! Is that the norm?

One thing I'll say about Mayne is he works his ASS off, he covers a lot of ground.....repeatedly presents, chases, follows up, etc. What I've noticed is that often when gets hold of the ball for a set shot he is absolutely heaving and is really sucking air in. I think maybe he (and the forward coaches) need to work on the structures etc and his movement patterns etc... becasue I think he is often spent when taking shots on goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I've noticed (on this board and others) about this forum is the lack of perspective posters that don't atend games have!!

One thing I'll say about Mayne is he works his ASS off, he covers a lot of ground.....repeatedly presents, chases, follows up, etc. What I've noticed is that often when gets hold of the ball for a set shot he is absolutely heaving and is really sucking air in. I think maybe he (and the forward coaches) need to work on the structures etc and his movement patterns etc... becasue I think he is often spent when taking shots on goal.

underrated post :thumbsu:

Sounds like we need to get a biathlon coach in from Europe somewhere to teach these guys how to get their heart rate down quickly.

We need a dead eye, stay at home full forward to sort out our structure, and our inaccuracy. Kep stays in as forward/ relief ruck. Therefore out Johnson, in Anthony.
If the talk of Johnson being part of the o'meara trade is correct, that might explain johnson's golden pass early this year when he was beyond dismal.

We need a dead eye, stay at home full forward to sort out our structure, and our inaccuracy. Kep stays in as forward/ relief ruck. Therefore out Johnson, in Anthony.
If the talk of Johnson being part of the o'meara trade is correct, that might explain johnson's golden pass early this year when he was beyond dismal.

Mitch Brown taught Anthony a football lesson on Saturday.....

Anthony was comprehensively beaten despite playing in the winning team. He looked lost at times and was woeful defensively.

I missed the first quarter tonight so I missed the part where Mayne was apparently the only one doing much. The rest of his game was pretty ordinary. He ran around chasing blokes like he always does but didn't do much else. I was astonished to see peole giving him votes in the best player thread

I've had a look at his stats for the season. His averages are:

Disposals 11.5 (about 50/50 kicks and handballs)
Marks 5.2
Goals 1.5
Behinds 1.5
Tackles 4.5
Goals Assists o.2

Don't get me wrong, I like Mayne, too, but he simply isn't producing that much. We play him predominantly inside 50 - more as key forward than a high forward so he needs to be converting his opportunities and setting up other players. Deboer and Crowls are out defensive forward types. He is not in that role. All the forwards are expected to run, chase, tackle and harass and while Mayne is really good at this, he is no better than Balla, or Deboer when he is down there.

Mayne seemed to drop his bundle last year after he had that appalling miss when he didn't pass over the top to a free player. He wouldn't take a shot for goal for weeks after; even if he was in the goal square he was trying to hand it off. I don;t think he has got over it yet. I don't think he is doing what he is in the team to do, which is kick goals.

Taking the enthusiasm for his enthusiasm out of the question, do others really thing his returns are good enough at the moment?

Take your point about those stats but as far as Saturday night goes I saw those 'mayne minutes' and they took my breath away. Up until then Fremantle looked like marshmellows. He pulled it back.

Mayne was outstanding. I was in block 120 and had center stage for the Mayne show. His second efforts and defensive pressure up forward were phenomenal. I couldn't see any of this on the TV after the game (taped it) but super, super underrated guy. I want more of him. His attitude is great. Also, people heralding Jonno's return need to also attend games. The guy has the ball coming into him and he's missing and dropping it in order to continually give out instructions to his team mates, who ignore him. The guy is an utter spud. Even his effort of putting his body on the line, he hesitated before going in - you could almost see his brain ticking over "shit I have to go hard to win this" "don't really want to" "i'll get sacked if I don't" "bah". His goal was a good one however. Still, soft as butter and really don't want him anywhere near the best 22.

Back on topic, Mayne = awesome. He's de Boer Mark II. de Boer was also largely unsung, the guy sets up so many goals for us it's ridiculous.

Anthony has shown no evidence in the last year that he's a near certain set shot on goal.
He's not the great white hope, not this year.

There was a moment during the game that I said to the room, both empty couches and the footstool that "Chris Mayne is putting his hand up to captain the club" after his effort, after effort, after effort. None of them argued with me.

I'll bastardise Valentino Rossi for a second; "You can teach a fast rider not to crash, but you can't teach a rider to be fast" He was talking about Casey Stoner the year before he won the world championships.

Chris Mayne has the heart and the desire to apply himself. If it's a matter of fitness and cooling his chest a bit before a set shot then I think we're in for big times ahead, wasn't this his first full preseason? He'll be even fitter next year.

Just for the record, yes, I missed this game, but no, it's not the norm. I am a season ticket holder and go to most of the home games but not all. I have other responsibilities that intrude occasionally.

Look, I'm not apologising for this thread, either. Most of it has been reasonable discussion and isn't that what we want? As another poster pointed out, on BF some players get bagged unreasonably and some players are protected species. Mayne is probably leaning towards the latter group, and it doesn't hurt to have a bit of a spotlight on him occasionally, for things other than his pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Mayne - alot of man love for his defensive pressure but what else does he contribute?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back