Chris Scotts coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Well... Interesting thoughts on here.

I will admit that Chris Scott was fortunate to win the 2011 Flag after Mark Bomber Thompson built that team up for the last 10 years as Collingwood was the standout dominant team that year. Mooney and Ling both retired after the 2011 GF, but I thought Ling had another year or 2 left. Then you had the shock exit in 2012 when they lost to Freo.

2013 was.... I wouldn't of said a golden chance But they did lose to the Hawks in the Prelim by under a goal. They would of had freo in the Grand final that year. Cats probably would of won because of their finals experienced. I am a bit Biased, I reckon Freo might of puled off a miracle with a difference mindet and more confidence as they have beaten Geelong at the MCG in the finals 1 year previously.

2014 was the year Swans, Hawks and cats were all equal top on 17 wins. Swans had a % of 142.9, Hawks were 140.8. Geelong were 113.8. I didn't see Geelong making the GF that year as of those 17 wins, 8 of them were by 13 points or less.

Then in 2015 they just missed out on Finals. That 2015 off season as the important one. Also in that 2012-15, they ad premiership players leaving too. You could the stars aligned to a degree too. Geelong could of went on one of 2 options. Go for a full on rebuild and spent the next 3-4 years out of the 8 or plug up some weaknesses and get some quality experienced players through trades and free agency. They went for the 2nd option.

In 2016 they were Beaten by the swans easily in that prelim. I still live by my view that had the cats mad the Grand final vs the dogs, Geelong would of beaten the dogs by 5-10 goals.

In 2017, another prelim exit this time to the crows but the that had injuries to key players during the season.

Our issue has been our lack of depth with all our injury prone players.
Recruiting them, keeping them. Our injury list has been consistently at the dozen mark since 2011.
Players like Cowan, Vardy, Smedts, Varcoe, Christensen, McCarthy, Gregson, Cockatoo, Scooter or even Stanley etc.
Menzel is a great story and all yet another one, or even ....Hamish McIntosh and Dawson Simpson and how could I forget Mitch Clark.
Thurlow did a knee but he was only out 1 year, it’s not him I have an issue with or anyone in particular, (actually getting Cameron Delaney from north peeved me off, he wasn’t even that good, was injured, we already had all these other injury prone players and he stayed injured and took another spot for 2 years) we just keep injured players for years and years. We don’t know our limits.
We want to be king of the injury feel good story. I don’t mind keeping a player or 2 who have ongoing issues but we keep them on our list and go and get more.

Yes Ablett is another but in isolation I’m glad we have him and he is a star but can we afford to continue to do this?

I admire Scott for getting a group of 30 rather than 40 deep into finals every year. He is always on the back foot, he could be a 3 time premiership coach if our list management team would stop recruiting injury prone players.

Last edited:
Chris Scott coaches for Chris Scott

I liken Geelong to a stock market crash. Looks good on the surface but fundamentally a disaster waiting to happen. Both with serious problems and cracks underneath, usually plastered over and propped up too long causing a disaster.
Geelongs future is happening right now at North Melbourne, but will be worse.
Chris, just like his brother , sold their clubs future by giving away good draft picks for ready-made players to prop up their teams.

Purely and simply for their own ego

Chris Scott inherited his team from Bomber, and year after year has topped up to stay relevant.
The result is Geelongs underbelly/depth and lack of quality young players is damning, and I believe the reason for horrible finals record from last few years.
Too much reliance on too few players .
Time has shown this is not how you build a team for a premiership.
Most Geelong supporters are waiting for the 2011 team to turn up, those teams are gone.
They have been bloody good for a long time but you can't beat the system

Their best players are 30+. Without Dangerfield and Selwood they would not even make finals.
There slide will come and come quick.

I liken Geelong to a stock market crash. Looks good on the surface but fundamentally a disaster waiting to happen. Both with serious problems and cracks underneath, usually plastered over and propped up too long causing a disaster.
Chris, just like his brother , sold their clubs future by giving away good draft picks for ready-made players to prop up their teams.

Chris Scott inherited his team from Bomber, and year after year has topped up to stay relevant.
The result is Geelongs underbelly/depth and lack of quality young players is damning, and I believe the reason for horrible finals record from last few years.
Too much reliance on too few players .
Time has shown this is not how you build a team for a premiership.
Most Geelong supporters are waiting for the 2011 team to turn up, those teams are gone.
They have been bloody good for a long time but you can't beat the system

Their best players are 30+. Without Dangerfield and Selwood they would not even make finals.
There is so much crap in your little essay i’m Not sure if you’re trolling or seriously believe what you’ve written:

1. What are the good draft picks that Geelong has given away? And in return for who?
2. You say Geelong’s best players are 30+ Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins, Duncan are not 30
3. You say Geelong is trying to build a premiership by topping up. Where did Geelong get the idea from? Hawthorn of course

Chris Scott has a far better win percentage than any other coach in the history of the game, but apparently he is a terrible coach.

Imagine how much better his win loss ratio would be if he was a good coach.

Chris Soctt inherited a very good team and then has repeatedly topped-up in an order to keep the Cats in the top 8.

GAblett, Stanley, Tuohy, Blease, Rivers, Smith, Clark, McIntosh, Danger...

With the amazing drafts they dominated care of Wells, I think Scott and Geelong have under-achieved a bit. Needed one more flag or a three-peat.

Few clubs will ever dominate a single draft, and set them up for a decade of success, as the Cats did getting GABlett, Jimmy Bartel, James Kelly, Stevie J, Andrew Carrazzo...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You say sold the farm well let's compare the last 5 drafts. First round draft selections: Geelong 1 Hawthorn 2. Top 40 picks: Geelong 8 Hawthorn 5
Bullshit. He's bought some mature players I agree.
He's still been able to get 13 top 40 players through the door whilst doing so since arriving.
Nonsense. We have 2 footballers on the list who are 30 or older. TWO.
Without your two best mids most sides wouldn't make finals, 10 don't each year. Wonderfully insightful analysis.

Be great if you could highlight which good draft picks North has given away for ready made players since Brad has been at the club?

3. You say Geelong is trying to build a premiership by topping up. Where did Geelong get the idea from? Hawthorn of course

I think the difference is why Hawthorn were certainly topping up regularly they were also nailing their draft picks at the same time - part excellent recruiting large pat pot luck. In the period where Hawthorn topped up with Burgoyne/Hale/Gunston/Lake/Gibson etc. they also drafted Bruest/Hill/Smith/Stratton/Puopolo/Sheils etc. - not superstars but all professional reliable above average 200 game players.

Geelong have done very well with the topping up bit. They have missed too often with the drafting bit to really finish the squad off.

There is so much crap in your little essay i’m Not sure if you’re trolling or seriously believe what you’ve written:

1. What are the good draft picks that Geelong has given away? And in return for who?
2. You say Geelong’s best players are 30+ Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins, Duncan are not 30
When the topic is Geelong and the poster is either a Hawthorn or a Richmond supporter, I generally skim straight past these days.

Geelong have done very well with the topping up bit. They have missed too often with the drafting bit to really finish the squad off.

Cockatoo, Parfitt, Kelly, Stewart, Bews, Menegola, Zac Guthrie and Parsons will all play big roles in 2018 with only Kelly yet to play a senior game. And all except Kelly had a hand in the side making the prelim final last year and all will only get better. All 8 players have huge upside whether you agree or not. There's also the 2017 crop which all made appearance in the JLT and acquitted themselves quite well.

The notion that Geelong haven't drafted well is off the mark.

Cockatoo, Parfitt, Kelly, Stewart, Bews, Menegola, Zac Guthrie and Parsons will all play big roles in 2018 with only Kelly yet to play a senior game. And all except Kelly had a hand in the side making the prelim final last year and all will only get better. All 8 players have huge upside whether you agree or not. There's also the 2017 crop which all made appearance in the JLT and acquitted themselves quite well.

Maybe - time will tell. Of the players you have listed really only Guthrie has had a meaningful impact so far.

If you look at Richmond as an example, they have players with a lot less experience - Graham, Rioli, Butler, Broad, Castagna who have come in and had a bigger influence. That extra bit of output might be the difference between the two teams currently.

One of those BF myths. Say it often enough and it must be true

Maybe - time will tell. Of the players you have listed really only Guthrie has had a meaningful impact so far.

You're kidding yourself. Menegola, Stewart and Bews have all cemented themselves in our best 22 and both Parfitt and Cockatoo were a stable part before injury.

I've watched quite a bit of our VFL side over the last two years and I think there's going to be quite a few disappointed opposition supporters in a few years when we keep remaining competitive enough to contend for premierships.

Scott's done a fantastic job rebuilding this club without the need to bottom out. I'm fairly sure we had the most debutantes last year too, and you might see two more in round 1 with both Kelly and Ratugloea tipped to play their first games. Constable and Fogarty are big chances as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Scotts coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back