Chris Scott Wants A Mid-Season Shutdown Implemented ............. What Bloody Next ???

Remove this Banner Ad

2003 had a mid season break. From memory, the talk at the time was that it gave a ‘free kick’ to the NRL. And it hasn’t been seen since.
The AFL did get away with it because that bye weekend was a State of Origin-affected club round (Although conveniently the Broncos had a bye that weekend while they supplied half the Queensland team)

The AFL did get away with it because that bye weekend was a State of Origin-affected club round (Although conveniently the Broncos had a bye that weekend while they supplied half the Queensland team)

It's actually pathetic how threatened the AFL are of the NRL.

I think he’s got a point.

Give the whole competition a week off.

But it’s one those suggestions you happily toss out safe in the knowledge it’ll never happen. The broadcasters would never support it.

Split it over 2 weeks with a split round. It means in week 2 all the teams playing each other are coming off the bye. Now in the week after the split round make sure all the teams that had the week off play each other.

The issue really is about teams who haven't had a bye forced to play a team coming off a bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they did it to take advantage of the NRL starting in America and more space for n free to air.

I think the NRL are locked into doing it for a few years
Conversely, think the AFL wouldn't want a league bye, because they wouldn't want the NRL to get a free go. It's not like NRL supporters were going to tune in to AFL because was all that was on, and I don't think AFL supporters would tune into a NRL game because nobody's playing.

I think he’s got a point.

Give the whole competition a week off.

But it’s one those suggestions you happily toss out safe in the knowledge it’ll never happen. The broadcasters would never support it.
shows where the game is at when the game itself isn't in control of the product

sad really

A mid season shut down is far to simple for the AFL to implement.

Imagine having state of origin footy at state level if the AFL (clubs) are to shit scared of bringing it back.

VFL players get to show there wares, have the mid season draft, the U18 championships, a slew of high level games for the masses to attend and give back to the feeders of the AFL.

Will never happen but if a man could dream

Remove this Banner Ad

Back