List Mgmt. Christmas comes early (Nov 28 - 19 sleeps) - Draftee discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Predicting one of GWS, Essendon, Hawks or Gold Coast will come for pick two.

We still end up with a top 6 pick and get who we want plus we land a low 2nd minimum.

I look at the players from 15 to 20 and really dont see too much difference to playersranked around 21 to 26. Would be nice to land 3 picks in that 21 to 26 range.

Hawks 6, 24 and Brockman for pick 2.

Essendon 4, 22 and future 3rd for 2 and our future 4th.

GWS 3, 19, 21 for 2 and our future 2nd. Or just 3 and 21 for 2. Would love to have first 3 picks in the 2nd round.

Suns 5, 25, 31, 34 for 2 and either our or Ports future 2nd or our 38.

Just need to get these four clubs wanting to jump ahead of eqch other to land their target. Bingo!
Actually can see that happening, especially if North keep pick 1. But not sure GWS would do that as they have the next pick. Can see Hawks being the biggest chance especially if they know their player will be gone!

If we insist on taking Casboult 2.0 I hope we split the pick and take a mid with other one.
He seems like the kind of player who is going to be incredibly frustrating to watch
Think calling Cadman Casboult 2.0 is a bit harsh on him. He’s been likened to Jeremy Cameron in the way he gets around the ground. I’ve watched him 3-4 times now and he looks a player.
His set shots do seem to be an issue but I reckon some clubs would feel they have the staff to improve it.
Rather than calling him Casboult 2.0 maybe N.Riewoldt might be a better comparison. Moves well as a key forward gets up the ground but set shots aren’t his strength ….it’s always hard comparing them of course as these guys are talent where as the ones we compare them to are champions.

Last edited:

Would it be worthwhile trading our 2023 1st Rd pick for 2 1st rounders in order his draft?
Give us 3 in the 1st round, 3 in the 2nd.
Instant midfield.

I mean hypothetically if we got a top 8 pick and another 1st in return, you’d have to consider it, but other than that, I wouldn’t entertain it. We do not need to rush this rebuild

Also, next years draft class is a lot better, I know that’s a common sentiment every year but I really believe next years crop is special and it’ll be an excellent year to have a top 3 pick in.

East Perth defender Reuben Ginbey, Swan Districts pocket rocket Darcy Jones, Perth’s Baxter Phillip and Claremont midfielders Mitch Barron and Lewis Crump were among the best performers in Sunday’s WAFL colts testing day at Gold Netball Centre.

Ginbey, who is shaping up as one of WA’s biggest draft bolters this year after a breakout season at PSA level with Wesley College, blitzed the 20m sprint with a time of 2.855 seconds.

The 17-year-old Dunsborough product has already started training with the Royals’ seniors alongside fellow draft prospect Jedd Busslinger and is one to watch for the upcoming season.

Fremantle captain Nat Fyfe is no certainty to play for the Dockers this weekend.

CAUTIOUS APPROACHFyfe far from firm for pre-season return

Mitchell Woodcock and Mark Duffield
Swans colts premiership midfielder Jones won the vertical jump with 84cm and posted another top-five finish in the running vertical jump (left) with 99cm.

Barron, who came back from a long-term ankle issue late last season, easily topped the agility testing with 7.875 seconds while he Tigers teammate Crump was among the best in the running vertical jump (left) with 100cm and 20m sprint with 2.901 seconds.

Phillip came third in the vertical jump (80cm) and agility (8.14 seconds), while East Fremantle’s Jayke Scott (21.7) was second behind Perth’s Kalib Dempster-Park (21.8) in the yo-yo test and third in the 20m sprint (2.896 seconds).

Highly rated 2023 Swans draft prospect Riley Hardeman, who played in last year’s colts grand final as a 15-year-old, finished fifth in two different vertical jump categories.

Claremont utility and son of a gun Ed Allan (back), East Fremantle speedster Koen Sanchez (groin) and East Perth/West Coast Next Generation Academy talent Jordyn Baker (knee), all part of the State Talent Academy, didn’t test because of injury but shouldn’t be sidelined for too much longer.

About 270 players tested from the nine WAFL colts teams.

WA Football Commission State talent manager Adam Jones is bullish about this year’s draft crop and believes there will be plenty of top-end talent, led by powerful Swan Districts midfielder Elijah Hewett and Royals key defender Busslinger.

Top-five results​

Vertical jump

84cm: Darcy Jones (Swan Districts)

81cm: Riley Wills (Subiaco)

80cm: Baxter Phillip (Perth), Elijah Hewett (Swan Districts)

79cm: Riley Hardeman (Swan Districts)

Running vertical jump (right)

100cm: Tristen Burgess (Swan Districts)

98cm: Coen Hay (Swan Districts)

97cm: Harrison Creighton (Swan Districts)

93cm: Kody Katauskas (Claremont)

92cm: Riley Hardeman (Swan Districts)

Running vertical jump (left)

105cm: Baxter Phillip (Perth)

103cm: Colin Skeen (Swan Districts)

100cm: Lewis Crump (Claremont), Darcy Miller (East Perth)

99cm: Darcy Jones (Swan Districts)

20m sprint

2.855 seconds: Reuben Ginbey (East Perth)

2.895: Aiden Carroll (South Fremantle)

2.896: Jayke Scott (East Fremantle)

2.9: Aiden Nelson (West Perth)

2.901: Lewis Crump (Claremont)

Agility

7.875 seconds: Mitch Barron (Claremont)

8.013: Patrick Weldon (East Perth)

8.14: Baxter Phillip (Perth)

8.142: Cooper Moore (Perth)

8.156: Jessie Hollins (South West)

Yo-yo

21.8: Kalib Dempster-Park (Perth)

21.7: Jayke Scott (East Fremantle), Taj Wyburd (Peel Thunder), Jessie Hollins (South West), Ethan Donaghy (Peel Thunder)
Wow! Big boy has some serious wheels. I'm liking it!
I'm liking Jones even more now too.

You think we his kicking can be fixed up a bit? (R.G)

If we insist on taking Casboult 2.0 I hope we split the pick and take a mid with other one.

Think calling Cadman Casboult 2.0 is a bit harsh on him. He’s been likened to Jeremy Cameron in the way he gets around the ground. I’ve watched him 3-4 times now and he looks a player.
His set shots do seem to be an issue but I reckon some clubs would feel they have the staff to improve it.
Rather than calling him Casboult 2.0 maybe N.Riewoldt might be a better comparison. Moves well as a key forward gets up the ground but set shots aren’t his strength ….it’s always hard comparing them of course as these guys are talent where as the ones we compare them to are champions.
Cadman compared Jezza Cameron and N Riewoldt. He should be number 1 by a mile then….

Nah, don't see it. He's a massive reach at 2 imo

First 25 are good solid draftees, after that will still be some great picks but not as strong.

Last year you'll recall Hough and Bazzo we're still there between 25 to 35 and we're plenty of great picks around them. It's just not as strong as that draft.
If you had to put your balls on the line - How do you think the following players will turn out mate?

Darcy Jones
Lewis Hayes
Sam Gilbey
Taj Campell-Farrell
Kobe Ryan
Harry Lemmey
Phoenix Foster
Elijah Hewitt
Lachlan Cowan

Have we all gone cold on Hewett? I was a bit critical of his output at League level but WAFL is arguably the best state league in the country and on second look his stats weren’t that bad for an 18yo.

Avg 13.6 disposals this year and went back for one ressies game after the National Championships and stuffed the stats sheet with 19k, 12h, 2m, 6t and a snag.

His game against Vic Metro, who are stacked with top end talent, was his best performance of an otherwise underwhelming Championships. I’d still be happy to have him on our list, reckon there’s a bit to work with. Some knocks on his disposal but he looks quite neat on either left or right foot (I’m amazed by the number of kids even at the elite level that still go the checkside when caught on their non-preferred foot).

If we can manufacture that second first rounder (Brisbane’s perhaps?) then I reckon he’s our man.

Cadman compared Jezza Cameron and N Riewoldt. He should be number 1 by a mile then….
I’m not saying we should take Cadman id rather we take a mid.

The reason he’s not ranked number one probably is because of his kicking but I’d be surprised if he doesn’t go in the top 5.

Every young player is compared this way, Wardlaw isn’t Clayton Oliver and Sheezel isn’t Steve Johnson either…..

Put it this way Cadman has ave 17 disposal’s 3 tackles and kicked 34.24 this season at just under 3 goals a game ave. He’s 196cm it’s not bad numbers.

All I was saying that comparing him as Casboult 2.0 is harsh

Happy to take Cadman, issue is with us is that we have no next coming mids. If we had a 18-21 year old rising on baller would be happy to take Cadman. But we seriously lack any gun young onballers.

I miss Thicc Angus :( :ox:

Last years draft discussion was so much funner. This year, i'm not attached to any of these plebs.

Roll some dice on whoever we select. Naturally the 1 year we've actually got a top 3 selection there's no clear candidate for our pick 🤷‍♂️
You’ve still got a couple of months to settle on a favourite, use the force young jedi, let it guide you.

Keys with the butterscotches

670809.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have we all gone cold on Hewett? I was a bit critical of his output at League level but WAFL is arguably the best state league in the country and on second look his stats weren’t that bad for an 18yo.

Avg 13.6 disposals this year and went back for one ressies game after the National Championships and stuffed the stats sheet with 19k, 12h, 2m, 6t and a snag.

His game against Vic Metro, who are stacked with top end talent, was his best performance of an otherwise underwhelming Championships. I’d still be happy to have him on our list, reckon there’s a bit to work with. Some knocks on his disposal but he looks quite neat on either left or right foot (I’m amazed by the number of kids even at the elite level that still go the checkside when caught on their non-preferred foot).

If we can manufacture that second first rounder (Brisbane’s perhaps?) then I reckon he’s our man.

If we could split pick 2 into Jackson and Hewitt, I’d be stoked.

If the crows didn’t want to drop out of the top of the draft and wanted phillipou thinking he could slide to pick 7, we could see something like this.

Crows get pick 7 and Rankine.

Suns get pick 5 and crows future 1st.

Live trade on draft night

Suns trade pick 5 and crows future 1st to Eagles

Eagles send pick 2 and ports future 2nd and our future 3rd to the suns

Suns take Sheezel at 2 we take Phillipou at 5 and crows are left salty 🤣

Even if it wasn’t Phillipou could be McKenzie or Clarke or a slider in the top 5.

Last edited:
West Coast need to completely build up their midfield so Wardlaw may be the target, though word is that Mackenzie is their focus and can get him with pick 2 (3).

Post on the North draft thread implying Mackenzie interest. Have I missed something? Wouldn’t be unhappy after his game a couple of days ago

Word is we have 4 picks in the top 40, which could become 5 after we trade Rioli to Port, so we are likely to be casting a very wide net and with there being little consensus on who the top picks will be there’d likely plenty of players we’re focusing on

The draft is also 2 months away and all clubs would still have a huge amount of work in front of them sorting out their rankings

So anyone saying West Coast are targeting or focusing on someone likely has no idea

Not to mention our almost obsessive habit of playing our cards close to our chest

Word is we have 4 picks in the top 40, which could become 5 after we trade Rioli to Port, so we are likely to be casting a very wide net and with there being little consensus on who the top picks will be there’d likely plenty of players we’re focusing on

The draft is also 2 months away and all clubs would still have a huge amount of work in front of them sorting out their rankings

So anyone saying West Coast are targeting or focusing on someone likely has no idea

Not to mention our almost obsessive habit of playing our cards close to our chest
Oh shut up...Sandy pants! Let us speculate, have a little fun. Nothing wrong with a naughty little dream.

Oh shut up...Sandy pants! Let us speculate, have a little fun. Nothing wrong with a naughty little dream.
Speculation is fine, it’s about the one bit of enjoyment we can have after such a shit year

I just get amused when anybody tries to say with any authority what the club is thinking

If he ends up the best player in the draft its not reaching.

He is a pick about 8 currently but his end of season was so damn good he could go higher.

Been watching colts footy for a long time and his rate of improvement has been significant since the championships

Have you watched his games since the championships ?

I’ve watched every game he has played, including his league games where he was a lot worse than Hewett was yet this board shits on Hewett for his inconsistency in WAFL league footy

I like Ginbey, but in no way is he a top 5 prospect in this draft, he had a great end to the season for sure though.

Even if you did want to take Ginbey, you may as well trade down, because no team is taking him before pick 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back