List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Until the details of what, if any, changes are going to be made to the bidding system this year are known it’s impossible to predict which clubs will be looking to trade down or up in this draft

Sheed is contracted for another year.

Any chance we will pay him out and delist him at the end of the year?

From memory we did this with ash hansen.

I don’t need to do a poll on here to know the vast majority would delist Sheed and pay him out

But I suspect the MC and Simpson rate Sheed much higher. (Personally I don’t think he’s as bad as he gets criticised for being but I also question whether he’s best 22 when we have full availability)

So I doubt he gets moved on with one qualifier

It’s been reported, and mentioned by Sheed himself, that the foot fracture he’s been trying to overcome and delayed his start to the season hasn’t, or ever will, fully heal. Just how much that’s impacting his current form we may not ever know but if it’s significant and he’s playing through pain then it may be that he retires as it won’t get better

I think it’s an issue that’s made an already slowish player even slower and with the way the games evolved he hasn’t enough other attributes to compensate his lack of leg speed

I’d rather keep someone like Culley than persist with Sheed

There’s enough players out of contract this year that should move on/retire without having to cut into those with a contract beyond 2024. That’s break glass in emergency stuff and generally not (with a couple of exceptions) the culture of the club. Would sooner trade Petch and BWilliams if by some miracle we entice enough players to come here that we need to displace more.

Dom’s foot injury is most certainly impacting his fitness, running and output and he deserves some leeway for that but the constant finger pointing and displacing someone from standing the mark and standing there himself is not a good look.

Sheed, Darling, Cripps, Jamieson, Bazzo and possibly Cole are the players OOC at the end of next year whose futures are likely to be discussed then but can’t see any of them being asked to leave this year.

Who's our principal recruiter in Vic now, with ROB gone? (Or has Massey relocated there from SA?)

WCE_phil BOND 007 could probably answer..?
In Victoria, most likely Simon McPhee. He's also director of Football at Brighton grammar with Ashcroft, Trainor and Oliver the big names at the school this year.

But could imagine Duane Massey is based in SA, but would be travelling everywhere.

Would we not take pick 3 into the draft and try to offload our F1 into 2 picks. (Oh but the WA talent!)

We go to the draft with for eg
3, 7, 12

Trade F2nd for busslinger.
Trade 3rd rounder and Petch for Baker.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Couldn't offload this years first, last year for pick 8. So I wouldn't imagine we could this year either.

So according to splinters :

Being extended
  • Duggan
  • J Williams

Should be extended
  • Witherden
  • Rotham
  • H Edwards
  • Burgiel
  • Rawlinson (R)
  • Culley (R)
  • Dewar (Cat B)

In doubt/ Gone
  • Gaff
  • L Edwards
  • Jones
  • Baker (R)
  • Trew (R)

That gets us from 37 main list, 6 rookie list and 2 Cat B rookies to 34, 4 and 2 giving us the ability to add just 4 new players

Now whilst I can see his reasoning behind the players he talks about retaining, it doesn’t scream aggressive list management to me

Think we need to open up at least 2 more list spots, maybe more depending on how many players we bring in via trade/FA. If dajesmac is correct that we’ve offered Steely Green a contract then it appears we’re casting a rather wide net

Means that splinters isn’t being ruthless enough with this crop of out of contract players or we will be trading out some in contract players and/or retiring an in contract player early.

I don’t think both of Rotham and Harry Edwards survives. Perhaps neither if we do land Busslinger as many here hope

Culley being retained may hinge on whether he can be kept on the rookie list or needs to be upgraded to the main list. Either way I still hope we keep him
I think if we get Baker, two of HEdwards, Rotham and Witherden may have to go. Witherden had a good patch but was pretty poor again on the weekend, if Baker takes a spot in the half back line, shuffle the magnets a bit, and maybe there's not room for him or Rotham. HEdwards stays as KPD depth.

Of course, the other option is to trade and I would be aggressive in trying to move Petrucelle and Cole on if they were open to a move, and potentially BWilliams.

Who would we prefer to keep on the list as KPD depth, HEdwards or Jamieson?

Assuming we get Buss, we draft a KPD, and we dont keep Rotham, we still need one of Jamieson or HEdwards in case TB goes down. I know HEdwards is OOC, but if we dont think either are or ever will be best 22 players would we be better off ending jamo a year early and keeping Harry for an extra year?
We still have Bazzo who could be good too, but remains to be seen how he goes once over his injuries

I think id be more comfortable going into a game with HEdwards and Buss vs Jamo and Buss, but obviously a bit to go for the year

There have been glowing reports of Trainors performance in this game from other outlets, but the tale of the tape is a little more mixed. He had a couple of outstanding defensive moments, including a contested mark early and a tough ground ball win late, but also some other less impressive defensive efforts. A high proportion of his 26 disposals came from kick ins, and a number of his longer rebound 50s resulted in turnovers, although some of those can be at least partially blamed on poor aerial contests by the tall targets he kicked to.

Who would we prefer to keep on the list as KPD depth, HEdwards or Jamieson?

Assuming we get Buss, we draft a KPD, and we dont keep Rotham, we still need one of Jamieson or HEdwards in case TB goes down. I know HEdwards is OOC, but if we dont think either are or ever will be best 22 players would we be better off ending jamo a year early and keeping Harry for an extra year?
We still have Bazzo who could be good too, but remains to be seen how he goes once over his injuries

I think id be more comfortable going into a game with HEdwards and Buss vs Jamo and Buss, but obviously a bit to go for the year
Ideal KPD result IMO would be to delist HEdwards, trade for Buss with F2, take Mraz with our 2R, rookie Dennis (huge tank, good mark and impacts contests but ideally needs to grow another couple of cms). I think Jamo and Bazzo provide enough depth.

We could invite HEdwards to train with the club over summer and leave a list spot open for him and assess where we think Buss is at should he need to step into a KPD role (rather than the third tall if TB or Gov went down).

Last edited:
And just like that we have a new pick 1 contender. Sam Lalor playing his first game back in the Talent League since returning from a long injury layoff to start the season demonstrates that every part of his game is in tip top condition as he turns in possibly the best performance of the season. Powerful, brutal, attacking and clean, he was strong overhead, hit up targets over all distances by foot and absorbed contact to release teammates with long creative handballs. The most impressive thing of all might have been his bruising tackles.

He's a gun. With Smillie, Finn, Sid and Lalor in the WC range, it'd be hard to go wrong really.

Last year was stressful as a WC supporter with Reid on the line, but this year is a welcome relief.

In Victoria, most likely Simon McPhee. He's also director of Football at Brighton grammar with Ashcroft, Trainor and Oliver the big names at the school this year.

But could imagine Duane Massey is based in SA, but would be travelling everywhere.
Is Simon working for the club now? Missed that.

Ideal KPD result IMO would be to delist HEdwards, draft Buss with F2, take Mraz with our 2R, rookie Dennis (huge tank, good mark and impacts contests but ideally needs to grow another couple of cms). I think Jamo and Bazzo provide enough depth.

We could invite HEdwards to train with the club over summer and leave a list spot open for him and assess where we think Buss is at should he need to step into a KPD role (rather than the third tall if Buss or Gov went down).
Thats probably closer to what actually happens.

I do think Harry is too good to just delist, I reckon another club would prefer to grab Harry as a DFA over Jamo as depth.
But ye the contract thing makes it awkward

And just like that we have a new pick 1 contender. Sam Lalor playing his first game back in the Talent League since returning from a long injury layoff to start the season demonstrates that every part of his game is in tip top condition as he turns in possibly the best performance of the season. Powerful, brutal, attacking and clean, he was strong overhead, hit up targets over all distances by foot and absorbed contact to release teammates with long creative handballs. The most impressive thing of all might have been his bruising tackles.

He's impressive. Physical, clean and good positioning in the stoppages. When he kicks, I am loving the resulting thud of the footy. Does seem like a man child, but thats not really hurting Harley at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ideal KPD result IMO would be to delist HEdwards, trade for Buss with F2, take Mraz with our 2R, rookie Dennis (huge tank, good mark and impacts contests but ideally needs to grow another couple of cms). I think Jamo and Bazzo provide enough depth.

We could invite HEdwards to train with the club over summer and leave a list spot open for him and assess where we think Buss is at should he need to step into a KPD role (rather than the third tall if TB or Gov went down).

The ideal KP defense result would be Harry Edwards goes to the Dogs for Garcia and we pay a F2nd for Busslinger.

Pick up Ben Miller as a UFA to help with depth down back and the ruck.

Rotham moves elsewhere and Hough, Busslinger, Bazzo, Miller and Jaimeson cover our tall defenders until Gov and Barrass retire.

In fact a TB trade to land us more on ballers and another project KP defender could happen with that depth.

J Jones also gone with L Edwards and Gaff. Thats 5 main list spots plus Trew.

Think we need to open up at least 2 more list spots, maybe more depending on how many players we bring in via trade/FA. If dajesmac is correct that we’ve offered Steely Green a contract then it appears we’re casting a rather wide net

Means that splinters isn’t being ruthless enough with this crop of out of contract players or we will be trading out some in contract players and/or retiring an in contract player early.

I don’t think both of Rotham and Harry Edwards survives. Perhaps neither if we do land Busslinger as many here hope

Culley being retained may hinge on whether he can be kept on the rookie list or needs to be upgraded to the main list. Either way I still hope we keep him

Maybe Rawlinson gets let go if where after Green, I get the feel Culley will be let go too. I’d rather Harry Edwards over Rotham, Rotham is 27 at the start of next year and has never really cemented himself in the team, Jamieson is another one that might get paid with one year to go on his contract.

The ideal KP defense result would be Harry Edwards goes to the Dogs for Garcia and we pay a F2nd for Busslinger.

Rotham moves elsewhere and Hough, Busslinger, Bazzo, Miller and Jaimeson cover our tall defenders until Gov and Barrass retire.

In fact a TB trade to land us more on ballers and another project KP defender could happen with that depth.

Would be very happy with the HEdwards/Garcia trade but don’t see it happening.

Miller re-signed with Richmond for another 2 years a couple of weeks ago so not an option.

Have been big on the TB trade for a while and has had a better year this year than pre injury last year. Wouldn’t accept less than 2 x top 15 picks and if he got traded HEdwards would have to stay.

How long will it take to rebuild if we don't split picks or trade for older players who can impact sooner?

Free agency as a free hit is fine obviously.

Just need to nail the decisions either way.

Busslinger for a 2nd is a no brainer.

Trading a pick 2 or 3 for a Warner also a no brainer.
Agree with all but the older players bit.
At this early stage of the rebuild any older players we get will either be gone or on the end of career downhill spiral by the time we are even close to contending. That means that any price paid has been wasted (picks, players) and the opportunity to get games into younger players will have been missed.

Please, no more ben miller talk

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we didnt retain Culley, would he be worth much in a trade? a 3rd rounder maybe?

I dont think hes a required player at this stage, and we would need to make a main list spot for him to keep him woudlnt we?

If we didnt retain Culley, would he be worth much in a trade? a 3rd rounder maybe?

I dont think hes a required player at this stage, and we would need to make a main list spot for him to keep him woudlnt we?
He’d be PSD or DFA, can’t see anyone paying for him. He needs to be upgraded to the main list unless we apply for an exemption.

Don’t really see the Dusty comparison, more Bartel? Like that he’s good overhead and seemed to read the play well and drop back into defence at the right times.

He’d be PSD or DFA, can’t see anyone paying for him. He needs to be upgraded to the main list unless we apply for an exemption.
He's worth persisting with for depth and future trade value. I don't think he makes it with us but there is a capable third tall forward in the making there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back