Clarkson calls 4am training session...

Remove this Banner Ad

hmm, that could go either way.

either the players accept it and work harder for him or they get disgruntled and tell him to take a long walk off a short jetty.

i no he is trying to set a standard but he should be careful he doesnt get them completely off side.

just because one player was late to training is pretty harsh IMO. i wonder how late and if he had a reason?

theorangeapple said:

either the players accept it and work harder for him or they get disgruntled and tell him to take a long walk off a short jetty.

i no he is trying to set a standard but he should be careful he doesnt get them completely off side.

just because one player was late to training is pretty harsh IMO. i wonder how late and if he had a reason?

Bit of a sook are ya mate? Thats crap, be soft on a team that has underperformed for 3 years, and performed like headless chooks this year is not the way to go. They deserved to be punished, keep up the good work AC...

Nightwolf_69 said:
Bit of a sook are ya mate? Thats crap, be soft on a team that has underperformed for 3 years, and performed like headless chooks this year is not the way to go. They deserved to be punished, keep up the good work AC...

Cave dweller.

You'd think if he was only a little late or had a very good reason, this wouldn't have happened.

When the focus on everything is 'team' and one person dissents from that, resulting in the entire team being 'punished' then it's not the coach they should be peeved at, it's at the player who caused it. Serves as a good reminder of how what they do as individuals affects others than just themselves.

Danni said:
You'd think if he was only a little late or had a very good reason, this wouldn't have happened.

When the focus on everything is 'team' and one person dissents from that, resulting in the entire team being 'punished' then it's not the coach they should be peeved at, it's at the player who caused it. Serves as a good reminder of how what they do as individuals affects others than just themselves.

And if you allow blokes to get away with it at AFL level, what does it say for disobeying team rules during games? Does it say it's ok to disobey team rules? I reckon it's just what Hawthorn need - a bit of realisation that they're not in they're heydays down in Hawthorn land!

Go Alastair.

Personally I hope the Hawks do well next season.

There's probably also a bit of it that is Clarkson stamping his authority on things. It would be a tough enough job bringing an unsuccessful group back to a cohesive unit when you have a reputation behind you, but doing it as a newbie on the coaching block would be even harder.

When Matthews arrived at Brisbane at the end of 1998, he had a massive reputation preceeding him. Some players have reported they almost were in awe of him and were happy to just go and do what ever he said. He also arrived with the hard-man reputation that Leppitsch only recently reported on in relation for them still waiting for the day when Matthews would blow up at them all, and it had still never arrived. It was almost a case of Matthews arrives, clicks his fingers, and the basics of respect and team unity were there. Clarkson doesn't have that luxury. He's got a tough job ahead of him and maybe being tough on a team instead of just individuals is what is going to work for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Squeak said:
You'd hope the players would appreciate the reasoning behind it and revel in the purpose. Considering the soft line-in-the-sand-drawing Hawthorn list, not sure that's gonna happen.

It's not often you can actually say you see a 'team' lose together, normally it's a group of individuals on the ground losing together.

Doing something like this is almost ensuring a team mentality. They either all start being hard workers together, or they all start resenting the coach together. Either way, much to their surprise if it's the resenting the coach bit, they are actually still doing the team thing all together.

Danni said:
Doing something like this is almost ensuring a team mentality. They either all start being hard workers together, or they all start resenting the coach together. Either way, much to their surprise if it's the resenting the coach bit, they are actually still doing the team thing all together.

It would be extremely noble if Clarkson was willing to sacrifice his career for the betterment of the team! That's what I call commitment.

Squeak the only way IMO that someone would be sacrificing their career by taking a stance like that would mean those they're working with shouldn't be there in the first place.

I wonder if Clarkson's been watching Foxtel this week?

They've been playing that movie where Whoopi Goldberg becomes the coach of the basketball team when they've lost something like 17 games in a row, and the team don't take her seriously, still don't show up on time for training, don't listen to instruction on the court, and they simply can't stand her. Yet she takes the hard line and in doing so brings them all together.

Now I can't recall if she called a 4am training session in that script........but hey I'd be having a good giggle about now if that was in that movie too!

Clarkson's taken on a huge challenge. The fact he's willing to take such a stance on un-team-like behaviour is a sign that he's not there to be their friend, he's there to be their leader and guide them towards the rewards they want.

Danni said:

It's all to do with consequences to your actions. If there is no consequence to not working as a team and abiding by team rules, stating with being on time, then players get the mentality there is no consequence to slacking off during the preseason, not executing the coach's orders etc later down the track.

At the end of the day, what excuse is there for being late? 99% of the time it is due to lack of organisation, laziness, or a couldn't be stuffed attitude; all sterling qualities for an elite athlete.

Good on Clarkson.

Beaumont doesnt start training until next week. Training at the moment is strictly the youngsters at the club. The more senior guys start later.

Makes me laugh as someone mentioned on HHQ this morning. Their three day camp in Sorrento next week means that the players will miss out on Oaks Day :D

By God I think they will rue the day Schwab was sacked hehe.

If they resent Clarkson for introducing discipline, hardness and team ethics, then they dont deserve to earn so much money, or the honour of wearing and AFL guernsey.

theorangeapple said:

In most cases, yes. But if ever there was a team that needed to be whipped into shape it is this Hawthorn side.

I doubt any player would dare complain to Clarkson about it and if they did, they'd be first one out the door.

Absolutely loving it, though you've got to feel a bit for blokes like Crawford you have worked their arse off on the track for ten years.

superstar said:
In most cases, yes. But if ever there was a team that needed to be whipped into shape it is this Hawthorn side.

I doubt any player would dare complain to Clarkson about it and if they did, they'd be first one out the door.

Absolutely loving it, though you've got to feel a bit for blokes like Crawford you have worked their arse off on the track for ten years.

I agree superstar. Especially due to the fact that the delisting period hasn't finished. Not that I'm saying any would be delisted, but the players know that Clarkson wont be taking any crap.
May not convert into actually winning games, but the basis for consistant victories have to start somewhere.
Good on him, and it is about time Hawthorn got some encouraging news for a change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarkson calls 4am training session...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back