News Clarkson news, media etc - he’s off into the Sunset!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like we all knew this would happen at some stage. But we all wanted the fairy tale fifth flag then hand over. It didn't pan out that way.
What we now get is Clarko taking the heat for next season as the list develops and then a fresh look from some one we all know is going to be as good at coaching as he was on the field. Lets get excited. The only thing to get upset about will be when/if Clarko goes elsewhere. Will feel a little cheated then.
I think Clarko has always been the biggest exponent of data driven analysis. Losing a lot of people around him last year due to covid and now the soft cap have made him slightly less effective. Let's move on to a new era.

Or the fact he said he and the board decided not to extend Clarksons contract during the press conference. Maybe watch it.
Correct the BOARD..re read every post in here and if you happened to miss it, that’s not what is coming through

Jeff’s a turd and needs to go. But I thought people could deal with the decision a little more objectively

Nope, but I don’t believe he needed to do that because I believe fully Clarko was behind all of this. It’s a very Clarko move - do what’s best for the club and for Sam. This has been on the cards since 2016.

Not gonna keep going back forth here; I was probably with you earlier today but Chief’s appearance was really eye opening to me.

1. Looked noticeably displeased
2. Said he a spoke to Clarko, he still has the passion to coach
3. Said ‘it was not a decision I would have made’. Ask yourself - when he says ‘I’, is he putting himself in Clarko or the clubs position? There is a big clue in the answer.

Clarkson was behind Mitchell getting a different coaching experience back in 2016 with his move to West Coast.

Clarkson was involved with Mitchell coming back to the club when Mitchell ditched West Coast a year early.

Clarkson stated earlier this year that the reason Mitchell was given Box Hill was it would better prepare him to be a head coach.

Clarkson said that he told the club a few weeks back they needed to consider the coaching transition in light of Collingwood’s movements. He said he knew this would put him in the firing line.

If you think today’s decision doesn’t have Clarko’s fingerprints all over it then you’re blinded by your dislike of others.
Dislike of others? Lol
You’re writing drivel mate and someone needed to give you some truth.
Ever think Clarkson was looking for an extension and if he knew of the “plan” with Mitchell he wouldn’t be approaching the club in the first place?

Last edited:
Just watched the presser in full and I don't understand what everyone is carrying on about? It seems pretty straight forward to me. Looking at Clarko, he looked relieved about the decision. It sounds like he was really spent after last year and put things into perspective. Constantly mentioned how it's taken it's toll on 4 of the 5 "F's , in particular family & friends. I actually finished that thinking that we've done the right thing and it's time to give someone else a go. After listening to the great man, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't coach again.

All I'm reading on here now is Dunstall's perceived annoyance at decision is now justifying and affirming some posters discontent of the decision.
Just because Dunstall may not be happy with it doesn't mean it's wrong.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Having sat on it for a bit, I'd say the transition is likely to happen before the end of the year.

I think it's pretty telling that Kennett said Clarko would see out next year because Hawthorn honour contracts. Not because Clarkson is the best person for the job and we really want him in the position.

Clarko said that he turned down huge offers from other clubs because of his committments to guys like Wingard and O'Meara that they were in it together to build something special. He can't get those guys a flag next year and he can't dictate the direction of the club.

Clarko will get huge offers again and the only thing that will stop him walking away is if he's really committed to a personal break from coaching (before inevitably diving back in). We won't stop him.

Not gonna keep going back forth here; I was probably with you earlier today but Chief’s appearance was really eye opening to me.

1. Looked noticeably displeased
2. Said he a spoke to Clarko, he still has the passion to coach
3. Said ‘it was not a decision I would have made’. Ask yourself - when he says ‘I’, is he putting himself in Clarko or the clubs position? There is a big clue in the answer.

Clarkson also said in his presser today that he has a passion to coach at Hawthorn because of the relationships he has at the club. He mentioned future plans and wasn’t nearly as eager and discussed the impact being a coach has had on his personal relationships with family and friends.

Again, apologies if you watched it, but I implore everyone to watch today’s presser - even just the first 15 minutes. It was Clarko being very raw, direct and human. I have no doubt about everything he said today was his words and intentions, not club spin.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the presser in full and I don't understand what everyone is carrying on about? It seems pretty straight forward to me. Looking at Clarko, he looked relieved about the decision. It sounds like he was really spent after last year and put things into perspective. Constantly mentioned how it's taken it's toll on 4 of the 5 "F's , in particular family & friends. I actually finished that thinking that we've done the right thing and it's time to give someone else a go. After listening to the great man, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't coach again.
And what a truly classy exit it would be.

The bloke is monumentally employable.

Objectively. Was a proper process followed? No.

Why does it have to be a process? Sydney had Longmire take over from Roos in an organised manner - it paid off. You don’t have to interview every assistant coach out there - that kind of process has worked out so well for Carlton multiple times hasn’t it?

Nope, but I don’t believe he needed to do that because I believe fully Clarko was behind all of this. It’s a very Clarko move - do what’s best for the club and for Sam. This has been on the cards since 2016.

This is not a Clarko move at all, it is a Kennett move and credit to the club they didn’t bs the presser, they were very clear it was a board call.

Clarko said himself that he is fully invested and that he doesn’t know when to walk away - good or bad.
Pretending like this was a Clarko decision is just ignoring the facts.

On a small side note can I give you an insight into how driven Sammy is.

Many years ago in Hobart I went to a Hawk function and Johnny Barker,Sammy,Nathan Lonie,Steven Greene and Daniel Harford were the guest speakers, it was before the pre season that year and lots of fun and beers were had.

The next day Greene,Barker,Lonie and Sammy were doing a clinic for the kids, all were there half an hour before the clinic started and fair to say Greene,Barker and Lonie were very hung over.

No sign of Sammy who I am pretty sure was in his first or 2nd year on the list.

Next minute Sammy is running into the oval having run I would say about 12 klm to join his teammates at the clinic and I remember as I had more pics taken with the lads saying to my Missus “This kid is so driven and so focused that he will succeed at any cost”

As we all know Clarko is very very driven but make no mistake so is Sammy.

The bloke will leave no stone unturned in trying to become the coach we all hope he will be.

Again for the record I love AC and I think when we move to Dingley we should commission a statue of the great man to stand alongside JK Snr.

Last edited:
Why does it have to be a process? Sydney had Longmire take over from Roos in an organised manner - it paid off. You don’t have to interview every assistant coach out there - that kind of process has worked out so well for Carlton multiple times hasn’t it?
If Mitchell had access to COLA and Academies I guess I’d support the Sydney model.
You conduct proper processes because that’s how good businesses are run not dictatorships.

This is not a Clarko move at all, it is a Kennett move and credit to the club they didn’t bs the presser, they were very clear it was a board call.

Clarko said himself that he is fully invested and that he doesn’t know when to walk away - good or bad.
Pretending like this was a Clarko decision is just ignoring the facts.

Clarko said today he went to the club hierarchy and said they needed to consider the coaching transition in light of Collingwood’s moves and that he knew it would be putting himself in the firing line as a result. What facts am I ignoring - I’m just going by what Clarko himself said today.

The fact he sat there and talked about Clarkos tenure being too long is the height of hipocrosy.
Finally someone gets it. The whole thing stunk of agism and complete hypocrisy. How old is Jeff again? Who is he to talk about ten years time? For those fact checking Jeff is 73 Clarko 53. So in ten years time Clarko would still be ten years younger than our current President....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back