News Clarkson news, media etc - he’s off into the Sunset!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its pretty obvious to me.

Two alpha personalities like Clarko and Mitch.....a transition doesn't work.

I mean how would it even work next year?

Who do the players listen to Clarko or Mitch?

Who is making decisions about the long term game plan, list management, assistant coach ling appointments, etc?

And if Clarko and Mitch have issues with each other (seems to be the case) how would this affect the playing group?

Big talking point about the 1.2 mill payout and more to all this than parties are saying.
What about if a breach of contract or club protocol has been committed and can be sacked which has no payout if occurred.
Should clarko be sacked or would everyone be happy if just bury it??
Don't think this is best for club at all and just a waste of 22 if clarko stays.
Just my opinion and as for Mitch, he will be given the support and resources to be successful just like clarko had. Soft cap so not as much.
Just my opinion we need a fresh start and allow Mitch full rein that doesn't need a babysitter.
What if it’s more than 1.2m? Which I believe it is....the Carlton interest is real.

The thing I don't get here. Clarko talked to Sammy about going to WC to explore his opportunities. Clarko then went and got Sam back from WC. They worked together for two full years. And now there's suddenly bad blood between Clarkson and Sam?

Clarko may well end up leaving but I struggle to believe these articles.

Carlton from day 1 I believe is the perfect fit.

Massive supporter base that has been in hibernation for 20 years.

Some quality high end young guys to build around. (Walsh Weitering Curnow Mckay Cripps etc)
A club that has gone out and recruited Saad and Williams shows they are pushing to compete.
Some high end talented youngsters that have not performed up to standard that need a rocket.

Carlton if they can lift with some real energy will have 90k members within 2-3 years

For me, Clarkton has a ring to it!!!!

I love how all the old jaded coaches are coming out of the woodwork to give some form opinion that is just their past relationship as a coach being presented as opinion/fact.
Of course these pieces are only ever someone's opinion, they are not factual.

But I think everyone on this forum kmows what kind of personality traits both Alistair and Sam possess.

Neither of them will want to play second fiddle.

Knowing this does anyone here honestly think that the transition plan being put forward by the club is feasabile?

I believe a much better option would be for Clarko to get a gig elsewhere ASAP then install Mitch as the senior coach for 2022 with an experienced assistant coach to assist (ie Mark Williams)

key part of the quote “To me, Hawthorn don’t want him there”.

That’s great rocket, but you’re just another member of the boys club with an opinion.

Fair dinkum. Clarko brings him back from WCE as part of a succession plan and suddenly they do not get along? Multiple years and flags in a player/coach relationship and suddenly they are mortal enemies and cant make the handover work for a season and a bit. Give me a break.

and wtf would Eade know about their relationship?

The thing I don't get here. Clarko talked to Sammy about going to WC to explore his opportunities. Clarko then went and got Sam back from WC. They worked together for two full years. And now there's suddenly bad blood between Clarkson and Sam?

Clarko may well end up leaving but I struggle to believe these articles.

If you listen to the Rob McCartney interview on SEN from last week you will get a “feel”that I think a lot of people are currently running with.

“I wouldn’t say they are friends”
“Two competitive driven people working together to get a result”

I think Al and the club both need some fresh air from each other.

The problem is nobody is going to walk away from 1.2? A golden handshake/ negotiation perhaps if he wanted a year away from footy?

key part of the quote “To me, Hawthorn don’t want him there”.

That’s great rocket, but you’re just another member of the boys club with an opinion.
I’m tipping rocket has not stepped foot in HFC since Clarko was appointed coach
What would he know about HFC nowadays ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you listen to the Rob McCartney interview on SEN from last week you will get a “feel”that I think a lot of people are currently running with.

“I wouldn’t say they are friends”
“Two competitive driven people working together to get a result”

I think Al and the club both need some fresh air from each other.

The problem is nobody is going to walk away from 1.2? A golden handshake/ negotiation perhaps if he wanted a year away from footy?
Surely you know how footy clubs work ?
Back when I played footy you would go to the social rooms for a few beers & a feed.
There would be some players that never spoke to each other off the field.
Easy to say “they are not friends” but they worked together when they needed to.
Just like any work place
Clarko & Sam may not be friends but that does not mean they cannot work together to achieve the best results they possibly can

Of course these pieces are only ever someone's opinion, they are not factual.

But I think everyone on this forum kmows what kind of personality traits both Alistair and Sam possess.

Neither of them will want to play second fiddle.

Knowing this does anyone here honestly think that the transition plan being put forward by the club is feasabile?

I believe a much better option would be for Clarko to get a gig elsewhere ASAP then install Mitch as the senior coach for 2022 with an experienced assistant coach to assist (ie Mark Williams)

I think both are well capable of putting the club first, before their own egos. It’s a hallmark of how they both operate. Their respective views on what putting the clubs first looks like are another matter.

Surely you know how footy clubs work ?
Back when I played footy you would go to the social rooms for a few beers & a feed.
There would be some players that never spoke to each other off the field.
Easy to say “they are not friends” but they worked together when they needed to.
Just like any work place
Clarko & Sam may not be friends but that does not mean they cannot work together to achieve the best results they possibly can

Of course they can work together. They are both being paid extremely well to work together.

I think both are well capable of putting the club first, before their own egos. It’s a hallmark of how they both operate. Their respective views on what putting the clubs first looks like are another matter.
This is the big difference between the Hawthorn succession plan and the Collingwood one.

Malthouse has the biggest ego in the game.
He had coached Collingwood for 9 years without a flag.
Eddie has an enormous ego. Eddie couldn't handle bringing in Malthouse for almost a decade with no success and negotiated a solution to the problem with Nathan Buckley, who, despite the surname, has the smallest ego of the three.
So the big difference here is that the succession plan was done TO Malthouse.

Compared to the hawthorn situation where 1) Clarko sent Mitchell to WC and 2) brought him back as part of a career plan for Mitchell.
The timing may not have been Clarko's ideal - but when you're a determined, headstrong guy like Clarko you won't jump off when you think there's work to be done. And there's a lot of work to be done!

I mean geez some of the comments.

Of course they can work together. They are both being paid extremely well to work together.

Clarkson mentioned during the pre-Freo press meet (or one of them last week - they all kind of blurr) that he has been at Mitch's house discussion the transition on the weekend before the announcement. He didn't dwell on the point. Just an offhand comment. I'm pretty sure this transition is still well in the honeymoon period.

We've got a lot of press speculation and a bit of ITK speculation that there are issues but nothing that comes close to the same solid feeling the first Linda CRS news here. I think they'll run out the year fine, experimenting with whatever players are able to play (given the team is the walking wounded) and we'll have some pretty shocking results. I don't think there will be much conflict this season.

I also don't think there will be much conflict during the trade and draft period. Clarkson will respect Mitch's authority and Mitch will respect Clarkson's advice. That should work.

Next year there could be some week to week issues as Sam may be more inclined to try experimentation while Clarkson may be more inclined to a game plan, but even then there doesn't need to be a knock down, drag out fight. The only real point of conflict will be around the selection table each week and given how well the BHH players have cycled into the senior games it seems that the working relationship there is fine.

I think the odds of this working well are much better than the odds of it crashing and burning.

Clarkson has lost the players indirectlyy not from his actions but directly by the boards decision not to renew his contract.

Hence, a playing list not capable of making /playing finals and knowing your with a coach early exit plan what driven team goals and motivation have they got.

There is no more long term commitment and it impacts team output and success.

Time now for Sam to come take over end of year and let Clarkson go and coach elsewhere.

Only positive we stick to this successions plan this year will be we will lose every game and with some beltings because not only nothing to play for.

Bur "who cares what the coach says" mentality has creeped onto the mindset of the players now knowing he want be around for the long term

Which means we get pick 1=Horne👍👌😁

Yes. They just need clear boundaries to make it work. Clarko is the senior coach so the players will listen to him primarily. While Mitchell still has a role with the AFL side, his key role for the next 18 months will remain Box Hill. As Clarko pointed out in the presser, it makes sense for Mitchell to have more input on list management decisions than Clarko over the next 18 months, but that isn't a 'who do the players listen to' issue. The tricky bit is probably game plan, and I'm not sure how they are going to manage that. If Mitchell wants a completely different gameplan to what Clarko is drilling then I definitely see that as something that will be difficult to work around, as there isn't really much point in Clarko continuing to drill soemthing that Mitchell is going to throw out, and I see that as the main issue they'll need to work through in the next 18 months.

Yeah, that's not a bad option. I'd talk to Buckley as someone that can give him the benefit of his recent experience as senior coach over someone like Williams though who has been out of a senior role for many years. I still think Clarko will not allow any ego issues to get in the way of what is best for the club in terms of how he handles the transition, so I'm optimistic that Clarko and Sam can make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back