News Club to launch external review of football department!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wanted to expand on this, mod move/delete whatever if off-topic. But the drafting from that period has been easily the worst in the AFL. Terrible, and with the amount of players not going on to play again shows it wasn't only terrible drafting but terrible development.

2009 -
Pick 12 - Kane Lucas (2010-14 42 games) - Played 0 games for West Coast, delisted after one year.
Pick 43 - Marcus Davies (2010-13 17 games)
Pick 59 - Rohan Kerr (2012-12 0 games)
Pick 72 - Rook Sam Jacobs (2007-10 17 games) Went home and played really good footy for 100+ games for Adelaide.
Pick 83 - Rook Aaron Joseph (2009-13 73 games)

2010 -
Pick 18 - Matthew Watson (2011-15 23 games)
Pick 34 - Pat McCarthy (2011-13 1 game)
Pick 42 - Luke Mitchell (2011-13 1 game)
Pick 67 - Andrew McInnes (2011-14 17 games)
Pick 70 - Nick Duigan (2011-13 43 games)
Pick 85 - Rook Jeff Garlett (2009-14 107 games) Traded to Melbourne apparent behavioural issues, serviceable to them.
Pick 99 - Rook David Ellard (2008-15 63 games)
Pick 108 - Rook Simon White (2010-17 87 games)

2011 -
Pick 22 - Josh Bootsma (2012-14 14 games) Eww.
Pick 44 - Sam Rowe (2012-18 99 games) delisted, one season with Saints to get to 100.
Pick 62 F/S - Dylan Buckley (2012-17 39 games) delisted, played two games for the Giants.

2012 -
Pick 11 - Troy Menzel (2013-15 40 games) Traded to Adelaide, played 4 games.
Pick 35 - Tom Temay (2013-14 0 games)
Pick 54 - Nicholas Graham (2013-18 48 games)
Pick 89 - Rook Levi Casboult (2010-2021? 146games*)
Pick 102 - Rook Zach Tuohy (2010-16 120 games) Traded to Geelong and has played 89games since.

2013 -
Pick 13 - Patrick Cripps (2014 onwards 130 games*) A grader, captain of the club
Pick 39 - Cameron Giles (2014-15 Chronic injuries meant he played 0 games.)
Pick 51 - Nick Holman (2014-15 9 games) Delisted, few years later popped up at Gold Coast and has since played 54 games for them.
Pick 89 - Rook Ed Curnow (2011- Onwards 193 games*) Respectable career to date.
Pick 94 - Rook Tom Bell (2012-15 51 games) Traded to Brisbane to care for his sick father, played 21 games before being delisted.

2014 -
Pick 19 - Blaine Boekhurst (2015-17 25 games)
Pick 28 - Dillon Viojo-Rainbow (2015-16 0 games) Cool last name though.
Pick 60 - Clem Smith (2015-16 7 games)
Pick 63 - Jayden Foster (2015-16 0 games)

Rookie Drafts

2009 -

Pick 15 - Jaryd Cachia (2009-13 14 games) Was delisted twice by the club in that time period.
Pick 31 - Joe Dare (2009-2011 0 games)
Pick 44 - Levi Casboult (see 2012 national draft)
Pick 56 - Simon White (see 2010 national draft)
Pick 66 - Joshua Donaldson (2009-10 0 games)
Pick 73 - Zach Tuohy (see 2012 national draft)

2010 -
Pick 18 - Ed Curnow (see 2013 national draft)

Pick 35 - Rhys O'Keeffe (2011-12 3 games)
Pick 51 - Wayde Twomey (2011 2 games)
Pick 66 - Mitchell Carter (2011-12 0 games)
Pick 78 - Blake Bray (2011-12 0 games)

2011 -
Pick 14 - Tom Bell (see 2013 national draft)
Pick 32 - Nicholas Heyne (2012 0 games)
Pick 50 - Frazer Dale (2012 2 games)
Pick 67 - Matthew Lodge (2012 0 games) Would become Carlton / Northern Blues newsman.

2012 -
Pick 9 - Jaryd Cachia (see 2009 rookie draft)
Pick 23 - Andrew Collins (2011-13 11 games) Delisted twice, was traded from Richmond to Carlton for Shaun Grigg.

2013 -
Pick 12 - Luke Reynolds (2014 0 games)
Pick 28 - Cameron Wood (2014-16 24 games)
Pick 43 - Blaine Johnson (2014-15 7 games)
Pick 60 - Ciaran Sheehan (2014-17 6 games)
Pick 64 - Ciaran Bryne (2014-18 22 games)

2014 -
Pick 6 - Billy Gowers (2015-15 0 games) Drafted by Bulldogs in 2018, played 33 games before being delisted.
Pick 24 - Brad Walsh (2015 3 games)
Pick 41 - Tom Fields (2015 2 games) Big kick
Pick 58 - Fraser Russell (2015 0 games)

Thanks for posting. That is an absolute horror show!

Review will likely find that more experience is required in the coaches box, development of youth requires more investment, fitness department need to ensure players can run out a quarter, players need a more rigorous accountability process (360° feedback, not Leading Teams style), leadership style or selection of leaders, game plan needs to focus on defender, pressure and skill improvement.
Tick will be the 2015 draft and Walsh.

Review will likely find that more experience is required in the coaches box, development of youth requires more investment, fitness department need to ensure players can run out a quarter, players need a more rigorous accountability process (360° feedback, not Leading Teams style), leadership style or selection of leaders, game plan needs to focus on defender, pressure and skill improvement.

Thing that baffles me, is why wasn't this obvious earlier? Surely Teague wouldn't have been afraid to ask for help? Why does it even have to get to this point ffs.

imo Teague's assistants all get thrown to curb and we start afresh, ala that asks new questions though who to replace them as from what I've been babbling/reading all the good campaigners been picked up.

Hopefully I'm a misinformed babbler and there are astute/experienced highly rated campaigners available but from what I read they all got snatched up early this year. :$

Keep seeing Choco mentioned on here too and its like lol he's just going to give up on his commitment to Melbourne for us....

With the greatest respect, no club in their right mind would/should leak comments like that to the media ‘on behalf of ‘players’. That would be a horrendous PR decision, and if our club was doing that then we may as well pack up shop (this coming from someone who works in PR). That is just toxic and does nobody any good - particularly the coach, players or the wider organisation.

Those comments have come directly from the players themselves - which is also very concerning in itself.
We are both guessing but my guess is the board have done it for the reasons I mentioned.

With the greatest respect, no club in their right mind would/should leak comments like that to the media ‘on behalf of ‘players’. That would be a horrendous PR decision, and if our club was doing that then we may as well pack up shop (this coming from someone who works in PR). That is just toxic and does nobody any good - particularly the coach, players or the wider organisation.

Those comments have come directly from the players themselves - which is also very concerning in itself.

Serious question, what would be your opinion to get on top of all this in a PR sense? A Charlie Curnow coming back injury story? Haha

Naturally you'd go damage control etc right? But what context?

Curious to your thoughts as personally think the club has bungled the messaging to the T. :thumbsu:

it absolutely should not be a given or an assumption that Teague stays and assistants get turned over because Richmond did it in 2016, Collingwood in 2017 or Geelong in 2006. They are such lazy comparisons.

each of those coaches had got their teams into finals before the review - ie they got something right but then it derailed. Teague got a dead cat bounce following Bolton being sacked and in now in two seasons has effectively taken what should be an ascending list backwards.

he should have no currency in this review beyond his own performance as a senior coach.

it absolutely should not be a given or an assumption that Teague stays and assistants get turned over because Richmond did it in 2016, Collingwood in 2017 or Geelong in 2006. They are such lazy comparisons.

each of those coaches had got their teams into finals before the review - ie they got something right but then it derailed. Teague got a dead cat bounce following Bolton being sacked and in now in two seasons has effectively taken what should be an ascending list backwards.

he should have no currency in this review beyond his own performance as a senior coach.

He hasn’t taken this list backwards, we are very competitive, he just hasn’t got the team to the next step of taking big scalps and pushing into finals. Stagnant at this stage of our development.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The question is which assistant coach is going to want to come to Carlton and work under Teague? I don’t think many will be queuing up.
This is something worth considering. Makes me rethink my take that David should stay another season. I want us to attract the very best.

CEO on training wheels. Hasnt developed further from his GM Memberships role at Richmond.

He has done a good job on that front with his clever ideas of free memberships, 2 for1, free member upgrades.

But on Football, he meddles and has failed.
He has appointed mates to key roles, Lloyd in particular and they are failing

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
So put him in charge of membership and lets get a CEO of outstanding character.

Just because Sayers has been on the board for 9 years doesn't mean he is culpable. He may have been the lone voice or outnumbered or was ignored year after year. He could also have let people He thought to be competent make decisions and control things and now sees they weren't. Either way he now has the position and power to have a greater influence and will be individually accountable for what's to come.

From what I understand:

Liddle and Lloyd have very much tied themselves to Teague, and it appears that is happening internally as well as externally.

Sayers is completely open, and probably even wants, an experienced coach to take the reigns.

So an external review provides an opportunity to break that nexus without sticking your neck out and making an unpopular or divisive decision.

Disagree completely with those dismissing the fact that this will lead to a coach sacking, I suspect it very well will.

Smart man is Sayers and he's going to find a way of getting what he wants in the way hes learned how at the big firms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting.
The club has had a stink for near on 2 decades, a positive in Sayers undertaking this review is that he'd be as well connected as anyone when it comes to evaluating corporate culture.

As much as it's cool to allocate blame to a few individuals, the rot has well & truly been in place since before their tenure at the club.
It may be determined that minor tinkering is required or we may require major changes but ultimately, it'd be great to come away with a clear strategy that will carry our club forward.

He hasn’t taken this list backwards, we are very competitive, he just hasn’t got the team to the next step of taking big scalps and pushing into finals. Stagnant at this stage of our development.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes we havent gone backwards thats clear but very debatable that the being very competitive is coach/s driven .
Personally i wouldnt be giving Teague and the MC any credit whatsoever for competitive results .
All down to external inclusions Betts Fogarty Williams Saad Martin Newman and others .
And improvement of players Weitering Walsh Mckay to almost super star levels .
This coaching group is actually holding us back not the reason for competitive results imo .

From what I understand:

Liddle and Lloyd have very much tied themselves to Teague, and it appears that is happening internally as well as externally.

Sayers is completely open, and probably even wants, an experienced coach to take the reigns.

So an external review provides an opportunity to break that nexus without sticking your neck out and making an unpopular or divisive decision.

Disagree completely with those dismissing the fact that this will lead to a coach sacking, I suspect it very well will.

Smart man is Sayers and he's going to find a way of getting what he wants in the way hes learned how at the big firms.

I thought you had no confidence in the board being able to make the right decisions, including Sayers. You also stated Liddle was the professional we needed

What's changed?

A bit concerned that the "best" candidates will be ones gunning for a senior job. Hypothetically - bring in Voss as an assistant, is he motivated to help get things running well, or is it in his best interests to see the team falter so that a caretaker position miraculously opens up for him.

We need a skills coach who can not only drive a continued focus on ball use and tackling technique, but is able to coach the how rather than run textbook drills. Reckon this coach should be someone a bit old school, been around the block and reckons modern players lack the ability to execute the fundamentals.

Don't know who in the industry fits the bill, but I reckon it's probably the most important appointment. Gameplans won't get you far if your ability to execute is poor.

And we need someone who really understands how to balance offensive running and positioning with the ability to react defensively.

I'm hoping that Sam Mitchell is open to "diversifying his experience" at another club. Hawthorn will want him back at some point, but hopefully we could get a few years out of him. Have a feeling he'd get our ball movement and transition play motoring along.
Lindsey Gilbee would be a good one for a skills coach

I thought you had no confidence in the board being able to make the right decisions, including Sayers. You also stated Liddle was the professional we needed

What's changed?
You also post attacked me 24 hours ago for demanding a review be undertaken. 9 pages in this thread says it's a pretty popular decision.

Time for you to stop talking I think

You also post attacked me 24 hours ago for demanding a review be undertaken. 9 pages in this thread says it's a pretty popular decision.

Time for you to stop talking I think

Show me where I attacked you?

But you did call for a spill of the board as a no confidence vote, including Sayers

And now you throw Liddle under the bus after claiming he was the professional we needed

You flip hard on your allegiances when it suits you.

Time for you to try and stay consistent, if that's possible, or just continue to contradict yourself

I tend to agree. Comparing Teague to Hardwick, Bomba and even Buckley is dangerous. At this point nothing gives me much confidence that he's in their class. Perhaps with a better group of Assistants things may change, but with the soft cap restrictions these days, much of the onus is now on the senior coach...and I'm just not sure Teague is up to it. I hope I'm wrong, but suspect I'm right.

And if Barker ain't trawling seek.com after news of this external review, he surely must have photos!

Remove this Banner Ad

News Club to launch external review of football department!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back