Clubs' 'second states'

Remove this Banner Ad

We used to have a lot of Western Australian's on the list. Currently only the 7 but a few years ago we had:

Gumbleton, Jetta, Pears, Myers, Hooker, Ryder, Colyer, Hardingham, Kommer, Howlett all on the list from WA.
Haha, don't they treat Kyle Reimers as total garbage?
Not surprised.

I didn't really hear of Richmond having a strong connection with another state much. The one I did hear of was Tasmania as the likes of Riewoldt and Matthew Richardson are from there.

Nowadays maybe SA if anything perhaps?

Would like to know if Richmond do have a strong connection or a paticularly big following in another state though, so an interesting thread
I see plenty of Richmond plates in WA and there is a WA Tigers group over here, but Richmond and Tasmania have had a strong link from as far back as I can remember.

Definite historical link between WA and Essendon. Starts from the fact that at least 1000 Essendon members are in WA itself.

Historic links include Albert Thurgood, Alec Epis and Graham Moss.

Duckworth and Leon Baker too

There's loads and loads and loads of Hawk and Dons fans in Perth.

Loads.

There's loads and loads and loads of Hawk and Dons fans in Perth.

Loads.
I've barely noticed the Hawthorn thing, even growing up right when they hit their premiership in 2008 – and with Buddy. I believe it's an older thing.

Carlton are well represented, but for me, Essendon and North are the two big interstate clubs here. The Bombers were sometimes more repped than Freo at footy jumper school days, but North are the ones where you just bump into heaps of random fans. Especially on nights out. Mouthy pricks they usually are.

I've barely noticed the Hawthorn thing, even growing up right when they hit their premiership in 2008 – and with Buddy. I believe it's an older thing.

Carlton are well represented, but for me, Essendon and North are the two big interstate clubs here. The Bombers were sometimes more repped than Freo at footy jumper school days, but North are the ones where you just bump into heaps of random fans. Especially on nights out. Mouthy pricks they usually are.

I'm in the Peel area...heaps of hawk fans down here..for some reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't draft anyone from WA anymore after Yeo left not that that state has been very successful for a while at under 18s

We also now seem destined to stay away from SA after losing 2 top 10 picks in Aish and Polec

So that basically leaves Victoria Tasmania and Northern Territory for the Lions to pick from

Edit; Sorry that should have been Northern Territory

your recruiter moved to GC ;-) PS i'm being serious on that

You had 5 chances to draft Wingard.

Oh, and thanks for Hombsch.
Who told them that he'd request a trade back home straight away. It was the right call.

Richmond have a strong Tassie connection and following.

Royce Hart, Ian Stewart, Michael Roach, Matthew Richardson, Jack Riewoldt.

They've had a Tassie born key forward since pretty much 1967, one after the other:

Royce 1967-77
Roach 1977-89
Richo 1993-09
Riewoldt 2007-pres
That's really interesting to see the stats like that.

The Giants meanwhile seem to exclusively pick Victorians with their high selections – I think Coniglio is just about the only big one who's been from elsewhere. These high profile trades always revolve around Melburnians too.
That used to be the case; but it's changing. This year the Giants drafted exclusively from their academy.

I agree with Essendon and North.

Geelong's has tended to be a bit all over the place with somewhat of a bias towards SA, and at least half of our best 22 are non-Victorian. We also have 7 from the Geelong area (helps when you've just recruited Dangerfield and Henderson though), plus stars that recently retired/left like Scarlett, Ling and Ablett.

As far as I can tell atm we have:

19 Vic
9 SA
6 WA
2 Tas
2 Qld
2 NT
1 Ireland

Outside the obvious Brisbane and Sydney, I'd say that there are a lot of West Coast supporters in Melbourne. The most out of the other interstate teams. Adelaide also well represented, though they do have more travelling fans so it might seem a bit inflated at games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs' 'second states'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back