Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

One for the true believers… Peter Sumich has said he will go back into the club in a coaching role if dean cox gets the job and is asked as they are good mates who chat each week. ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You trying to sabotage the Cox resume ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What do we need to see from the side for Schofield to win the job?

Personally:
  • I want to see a consistent game plan;
  • ability to get players to play with energy;
  • the ability to make tough decisions when selecting a side; and
  • reinvent at least a couple of players in new roles to show that he can identify player strengths and not just accept the pidgeonholes Simpson stuck players into.

If Schofield selects a safe 22, reverts to a safe system and gets some safe results, I hope he isn't rewarded with the job.
I don't understand the fascination with Schofield, so he won 3 premierships with Subiaco.

What did he achieve at Port as an assistant ?

Scott Waters won 2 in a row at Subi, maybe we should give him or Peter German a go.

The midfield has been one of our our biggest problems this year and who is the coach of the mids.

Simmo had no problems in letting Mitchell coach the mids.

All the assistants bar Shuey should be shown the door as well as the whole Football Deveolpment crew.

The we "own it" buzzword hasn't rated a mention this week.

Won't take an assistant job, and too be fair shouldn't have to consider one when he has an arguably better coaching resume the the "leading" candidate in Dean Cox having coached his own team to a premiership in a quality league, and been involved in premierships, Grand Finals and finals at West Coast, Swans and Freo throughout his career

That's fair enough. The guy always builds elite stoppage units wherever he goes.

I don't understand the fascination with Schofield, so he won 3 premierships with Subiaco.

What did he achieve at Port as an assistant ?

Scott Waters won 2 in a row at Subi, maybe we should give him or Peter German a go.

The midfield has been one of our our biggest problems this year and who is the coach of the mids.

Simmo had no problems in letting Mitchell coach the mids.

All the assistants bar Shuey should be shown the door as well as the whole Football Deveolpment crew.

The we "own it" buzzword hasn't rated a mention this week.

Yeahhhh, Subi were stacked with players getting paid in brown paper bags. Wasn't a fair comp at all.

Hope Petrie stays at the club.

Good point, I hadn’t thought of that.
He is pretty close with Simmo.

Don’t want to lose Petrie he is a real asset.

Love to get Buckley in if not just to see the Vic media reaction, but also recon he'd put a bomb under lots of players backsides, probably also make a few previously un-getable players getable...but probably buckley's chance!

Bit obsessive by you over Vic media but they would be fine with it. Why not?

Break down and crying because an ex Collingwood player is coaching eagles? Find it hard to believe.

Buckleys kids are that awkward age, that would be my thing on why he may not consider it.

Love to get Buckley in if not just to see the Vic media reaction, but also recon he'd put a bomb under lots of players backsides, probably also make a few previously un-getable players getable...but probably buckley's chance!

Not sure why the VIC media would care, he is a south Australian boy.

I hate to bring it up.

Pending successful interm but Jarrod Schofield has by far the best CV of the lot. He's a winner and everywhere he goes ends up being winners as well

3x wafl flag winner
1x Afl Flag winner (at a loser club port)
3x wafl flag winner as coach
Remarkable assistant coach record at other clubs.

If we want the best CV then it's Schofield by far. This new voice crap is akin to let's pick favourite son.

In saying that it does make sense to get a new voice but CV speaks for itself
The elephant in the room with Schofield has to be the question marks over Subiaco and their cheating of the salary cap when he coached them to 3 WAFL flags. Well known around the traps that some players were getting $20 to $30K above the stated salary with sponsors products and cashies each week. The Subi bar takings certainly were "contributors" for their list build.

Schofield was the premiership coach in 2014, 2015 and 2018 while 2018 was the first year at Optus.

Not saying he can't coach, only saying that around my mates at Claremont, Swans and Sharks, they have been wary of Subiaco playing within the rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do people keep mentioning Josh Carr as an option? He has an agreement with Port to start taking over from Hinkley from next year and to take over in his own right in 2026. And that timeline is likely to be accelerated and Hinkley better than a 50% chance of getting sacked at the end of this year. And Port would be a more attractive club to take over as coach than us. Carr is not an option.
Attractive team, maybe.
Attractive club. GTFO.

Sorry to intrude, but do you think Sumich would be an option?
Laugh Lol GIF

Sorry to intrude, but do you think Sumich would be an option?
Don't answer this one anybody.

When he was looking at the Freo gig a few years back I asked on their board 'why all the hate for Sumich?'
I pointed out that while he did play for WC he was a Freo boy and played for us before Freo existed, so why the hate.

I got abused and banned just for asking a genuine question in a very polite manner.

Edit - but to answer the question, Suma comes across as 1980's shouty, bully type of coach. A dinosaur if you like. Not for me.

Last edited:
As long as the new coach gets rid of the deadwood in the senior players such as Sheed , gaff, darling, Rotham etc, develops the kids in the wafl and plays them in the AFL when they play well in the lower grade, then that’s what we should be looking to do.
We obviously need to start bringing in some better talent as well, but we need to properly evaluate what we’ve got by giving them games in the AFL in their correct positions.
It’s embarrassing that Rotham is considered a senior player. Under most circumstances he would have been cut years ago and bar his first couple of years he hasn’t looked AFL level

I don't think the next coach up matters to be perfectly honest because they'll be the next to get sacked. Not because they'll be horrible or anything, but our list is so absolutely atrocious that I agree with what Hamish Brayshaw said on the Back Chat show with Schofield a couple days ago, it's gonna take like 4/5 years for this list to even be competitive again, so good f*cking luck.

Could be the Ken Judge poison chalice situation all over again.
Yep. We had a great +30 years of a good a run but for the first time I feel like this club is going to face a really long build back to the top. Don’t want to sound overly negative but feel like the next flag will me a massive drought breaker for the club

I do however as a general rule, rate higher those candidates, who have a more diverse coaching background, more highly than those who don’t, meaning those who have been a Senior Coach at a lower level and or, those who have had exposure to multiple AFL Clubs as assistants.
I could not agree more.

Thats why I like King/Hansen. And being we are at the very bottom, it needs a well experience coach who has seen it all, good and bad.

Yep. We had a great +30 years of a good a run but for the first time I feel like this club is going to face a really long build back to the top. Don’t want to sound overly negative but feel like the next flag will me a massive drought breaker for the club
Nah, rebuilds aren't that tough if you just knuckle down and select young guys. We've already got quite a few promising players on the list and probably the best player in this generation in the form of Reid. All we have to do now is get them to be able to perform regularly, which will come with another season or two.

Sure, not every first round pick is a winner but they never are. Look at Freo as an example, they didn't do a great job of nailing picks (and blew a lot on the trade table) but with bulk selections they got it right with Brayshaw, Serong and Amiss. They filled out the role players with trades and then went back up the ladder.

We're sorted for tall forwards with Allen, Waterman and J Williams. Barass can hold down defence for a few more years (need to find some help) and Harley will be the best player in the comp in a few seasons. We can easily be at Freo's level by 2026/2027 when we add in another young mid at pick 2/3 this year and do some good trades to fill in gaps (rebound at HB, sort the ruck, KPD depth).

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back