Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

We can easily be at Freo's level by 2026/2027

Every time I find another nugget that demonstrates just how far this club has fallen, I find another.

Over It Abandon Thread GIF

What I don’t understand is that earlier in the season we seemed to be on the right track and showed promise - and even had a couple of unexpected wins - and then just like that we went south again - as all most supporters want to see is some system in play and some effort being made by the players. I do believe many of the players just stopped playing for the coach for whatever reason.
Reid, Kelly and yeo were in amazing form. Now they are not. Honestly it’s nearly as simple as that.

One thing everyone should remember is that, at the time of the Woosha transition, Simmo stormed out of the gates at interview to become the surprise leading candidate. There were a few critics of it on here (though I think consensus was mostly positive) but it ended up being inspired.

This recruitment must take a similar approach - nothing is settled until the process is conducted. And no-one should get too attached to the idea of any specific candidates before the coach is announced.

One thing everyone should remember is that, at the time of the Woosha transition, Simmo stormed out of the gates at interview to become the surprise leading candidate. There were a few critics of it on here (though I think consensus was mostly positive) but it ended up being inspired.

This recruitment must take a similar approach - nothing is settled until the process is conducted. And no-one should get too attached to the idea of any specific candidates before the coach is announced.

100%. I'm not really invested until the field narrows right down.

The current leading contenders probably won't be interviewed until after the Grand Final.

Love to get Buckley in if not just to see the Vic media reaction, but also recon he'd put a bomb under lots of players backsides, probably also make a few previously un-getable players getable...but probably buckley's chance!
Haha! Yes! Then we'd have both Nathan Buckley and Daisy Pearce, the darlings of the Vic media.

Might get shot down, but honestly wouldn't be against Buckley...
Yep Bucks would be interesting indeed.

Wouldn't hate it.

Think we'll play safe and go for Dean Cox.

The other thought is if we show good signs these last 7 weeks I reckon the club will be willing to give J.Schofield the reigns for a year or 2

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Further incontrovertible unimpeachable proof that there’s definitely a succession plan in place at Port. Absolutely.

If Josh Carr ever wanted the Port job, this is the time he calls Kochie and tells him to move on Emperor Ken or he moves on himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is J.Schofield like as a person when under pressure?

Is he a cool, calm guy like Simmo or a ranting frustrated type.

He looks like he could get very angry... which I like.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile

It seems Cox is the clear-cut favorite, but I am very interested to see what impact Schofield, in his own right, has on this group. He has a proven record at Subi. I believe he has an astute head on him. Looking forward to the next 7 weeks. His hat could be well and truly in the ring.

100%. I'm not really invested until the field narrows right down.

The current leading contenders probably won't be interviewed until after the Grand Final.
Thats probably too late, trade week starts not long after the grand final.
Id imagine interviews or meetings happen in the week off before finals.

Simmo was appointed less than a week after being at the Hawks when they won the grand final in 2013

Thats probably too late, trade week starts not long after the grand final.
Id imagine interviews or meetings happen in the week off before finals.

Simmo was appointed less than a week after being at the Hawks when they won the grand final in 2013
Also, there's a chance the new coach and/or club will want new assistants and development coaches too.

If the club is genuine about being aggressive with changes, and Schofield doesn't get the head role, he and nights are gonski. We will need a new coaching panel and need to be in the market for senior assistants as well.

I think it is soon all the assistants learn their fate as to whether they have a contract for 2025 (Anyone with better insight chime in).

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

No to Buckley for mine - the guy's a mess. I used to work at the Holden centre (their training base) back when he was coaching and knew a few people in and around their club and whilst I don't think his coaching itself was a problem the things like sleeping with partners of players, letting behaviours slide based on how good a player was, just isn't the vibe I want for our club. Know we often bemoaned the whole 'soft family man Simmo' thing in these later years but don't think those values are worth going opposite on.

Besides, I reckon the whole 'ex senior coach who's been out of the game for a while' isn't our need. It'd be a sugar hit vs someone in their first gig as #1 as he'd likely find his feet earlier, be more accustomed to the role and push results in the short-term. But that's a priority for clubs like GC and North who need to keep fans through the gate to survive, or clubs like Essendon with board turmoil and management unrest. We I think have the stability and type of organisation where we can ride out teething issues with one of the highly credentialed assistants like Cox, Hansen, Carr etc. Let them find their feet and grow into the team they're building like Simmo did.

Coxy in particular I could see having that fire in his belly to win, the footy brain, the campaigner in him to give the players a spray but the sense of humour to keep things lighthearted when needed. Get him in (or if after the process runs its due course and we reckon Hansen or Carr is a better fit, then also fine) and have Pyke come out and say we back them in for years, they have the clubs full support etc, and let them build.

No to Buckley for mine - the guy's a mess. I used to work at the Holden centre (their training base) back when he was coaching and knew a few people in and around their club and whilst I don't think his coaching itself was a problem the things like sleeping with partners of players, letting behaviours slide based on how good a player was, just isn't the vibe I want for our club. Know we often bemoaned the whole 'soft family man Simmo' thing in these later years but don't think those values are worth going opposite on.

Besides, I reckon the whole 'ex senior coach who's been out of the game for a while' isn't our need. It'd be a sugar hit vs someone in their first gig as #1 as he'd likely find his feet earlier, be more accustomed to the role and push results in the short-term. But that's a priority for clubs like GC and North who need to keep fans through the gate to survive, or clubs like Essendon with board turmoil and management unrest. We I think have the stability and type of organisation where we can ride out teething issues with one of the highly credentialed assistants like Cox, Hansen, Carr etc. Let them find their feet and grow into the team they're building like Simmo did.

Coxy in particular I could see having that fire in his belly to win, the footy brain, the campaigner in him to give the players a spray but the sense of humour to keep things lighthearted when needed. Get him in (or if after the process runs its due course and we reckon Hansen or Carr is a better fit, then also fine) and have Pyke come out and say we back them in for years, they have the clubs full support etc, and let them build.

If Buckley showed interest, personally I would get him in for a chat, at the very least you get another outsiders perspective of our list, where he thinks the game is trending and just generally pick his brains for as much of his football knowledge that he will share.

Would do so with all the candidates, no Coach or Club has a monopoly on all the good ideas.

I have done this many times in business and I have always gleaned information of both the market and the completion that’s been useful.

Some might call that predatory, but I prefer to call it in-depth research and analysis, always maximise the situation to get as much information as you can.

Also, there's a chance the new coach and/or club will want new assistants and development coaches too.

If the club is genuine about being aggressive with changes, and Schofield doesn't get the head role, he and nights are gonski. We will need a new coaching panel and need to be in the market for senior assistants as well.

I think it is soon all the assistants learn their fate as to whether they have a contract for 2025 (Anyone with better insight chime in).

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
The assistant coaches wont know where they stand until a new coach is appointed. More than likely they clear most of them out

Hello all,

I reckon your club should at least get Leigh Adams number. Impressive as an interim coach, and anyone who can lead their resume with "snotted Jason Horne Francis for not taking an ice bath" must be doing something right!

Good luck.

If Buckley showed interest, personally I would get him in for a chat, at the very least you get another outsiders perspective of our list, where he thinks the game is trending and just generally pick his brains for as much of his football knowledge that he will share.

Would do so with all the candidates, no Coach or Club has a monopoly on all the good ideas.

I have done this many times in business and I have always gleaned information of both the market and the completion that’s been useful.

Some might call that predatory, but I prefer to call it in-depth research and analysis, always maximise the situation to get as much information as you can.

That's fair and I totally agree. I suppose I was sort of talking in a 'bigfooty hypothetical where I'm making all the decisions for the club and making them on the spot right now' sense. If I had to pick today I'd be picking a current assistant coach from another club as the vibe I'm keen on.

In a real-world sense I do hope we interview as many well credentialed and interested applicants as possible as well as reach out to some left-field options for precisely the reasons you mentioned. And to do our due diligence in making the process as deep and competitive as we can.

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back