Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Which assistants did Simmo keep from the Woosha years when he became coach?

Three of the four line coaches were replaced. The three positions were filled by one internal promotion, one club sourced appointment and one assistant Simpson brought with him

Phil Walsh (strategy and innovation) left to join Port Adelaide

David Teague (backline) left to join St Kilda

Scott Burns (midfield), who was also an applicant for the position, left to join Collingwood

Justin Longmuir was retained as forwards coach

Adrian Hickmott was promoted from development to backline coach

Brady Rawlings was brought in by Simpson to coach the midfield

Don Pyke was brought in by the club as stoppages and strategy coach

There were also a few changes to the development coaches aside from the promotion of Hickmott

Daniel Pratt came with Simpson in a development coaching role

Jaymie Graham was brought in from St Kilda also as a development coach

Adam Selwood who retired in 2013 was also added as a development coach

Simon Eastaugh departed as a development coach to join Fremantle

Gavin Bell was retained in development

There was actually more changes than I thought

Three of the four line coaches were replaced. The three positions were filled by one internal promotion, one club sourced appointment and one assistant Simpson brought with him

Phil Walsh (strategy and innovation) left to join Port Adelaide

David Teague (backline) left to join St Kilda

Scott Burns (midfield), who was also an applicant for the position, left to join Collingwood

Justin Longmuir was retained as forwards coach

Adrian Hickmott was promoted from development to backline coach

Brady Rawlings was brought in by Simpson to coach the midfield

Don Pyke was brought in by the club as stoppages and strategy coach

There were also a few changes to the development coaches aside from the promotion of Hickmott

Daniel Pratt came with Simpson in a development coaching role

Jaymie Graham was brought in from St Kilda also as a development coach

Adam Selwood who retired in 2013 was also added as a development coach

Simon Eastaugh departed as a development coach to join Fremantle

Gavin Bell was retained in development

There was actually more changes than I thought
Looks like development coaching may have been a higher priority in those days. Perhaps that was before the soft cap on football department spend.

Might get an insight into how interested Buckley is Monday night.
Pretty sure the boys on the couch will run it by him.
His response could be interesting.

Should see if Scott Selwood would be interested in coming back as an assistant - I don’t think he’s ready for a senior gig but by all reports is a pretty good coach.

Also, there's a chance the new coach and/or club will want new assistants and development coaches too.

If the club is genuine about being aggressive with changes, and Schofield doesn't get the head role, he and nights are gonski. We will need a new coaching panel and need to be in the market for senior assistants as well.

I think it is soon all the assistants learn their fate as to whether they have a contract for 2025 (Anyone with better insight chime in).

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I have a feeling Schofield will be kept on - all will depend upon how the remainder of the season pans out. Webster needs to go though as he’s been at the club for years so his time would have to be up.

Strong endorsement for Brett Montgomery as a potential coach from Adam Kingsley

He’d be one (of several) I hope we at least talk to as part of putting together a short list of 4-5

It seems Cox is the clear-cut favorite, but I am very interested to see what impact Schofield, in his own right, has on this group. He has a proven record at Subi. I believe he has an astute head on him. Looking forward to the next 7 weeks. His hat could be well and truly in the ring.
Schofield never wanted to be a senior coaching role and I wonder if that's changed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love to get Buckley in if not just to see the Vic media reaction, but also recon he'd put a bomb under lots of players backsides, probably also make a few previously un-getable players getable...but probably buckley's chance!
Seems that you and I are in the minority on this one Farang. Buckley right now would be perfect. We need a coach who we aren’t all going to grow too attached to.

Fox boys pushing Nathan Buckley for an answer about West Coast. Successfully dodges the question before finishing his answer by saying coaching is something he is looking at. Cue the headlines.

Fox boys pushing Nathan Buckley for an answer about West Coast. Successfully dodges the question before finishing his answer by saying coaching is something he is looking at. Cue the headlines.
Yeah, grilling Buckley around he'd take a call from West Coast.

He wasn't committing to anything but did say he would "take a call from anyone" because he doesn't have caller ID.

I took that as a yes. ;)

Bit obsessive by you over Vic media but they would be fine with it. Why not?

Break down and crying because an ex Collingwood player is coaching eagles? Find it hard to believe.

Buckleys kids are that awkward age, that would be my thing on why he may not consider it.

Realistically, if Bucks did want to coach again and stay in Vic, the only team that might sack their coach in the near future is the Bulldogs. All the other Vic clubs are either happy with their coaches or have recently appointed them.

Who would he rather coach, the Bulldogs or us?

giphy.gif

For our 3 premiership coaches, all served for around 10 years. All displayed better performance on the first 5 years with GF and premiership. The next 5 years were unsatisfactory. How we are going to manage this pattern is vital for our future success. (Have we allowed our players and coaches get into a comfort zone after winning a premiership without appropriate action?)

For our 3 premiership coaches, all served for around 10 years. All displayed better performance on the first 5 years with GF and premiership. The next 5 years were unsatisfactory. How we are going to manage this pattern is vital for our future success. (Have we allowed our players and coaches get into a comfort zone after winning a premiership without appropriate action?)
Winning a premiership every 10 years is a trend I wish to continue.

At the moment, it is more like 12 years. 94, 06, 18.
We have 18 teams. Should we treat 18 years as average? Or 9 years as average? Should we aim at "above average"? Or we are happy as being average?
Every decade would be nice although the 2020s looks like passing us by without one.

Buckley???

Natural born loser. Unless we are planning to turf him out when we finally content for finals he is a natural born loser who has failed to win one as a player and as a coach.

He's may be a fine developmental coach but he's not someone who will win is the big one

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back