Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Stone for me.

He’s an intriguing option

• West Coast : Opposition and stoppage analyst/Midfield assistant 2002-07
• Sydney : Stoppage coach 2007-11
• Fremantle : Midfield coach 2011-15, Forwards coach 2016, Stoppage and structures coach/training program coordinator 2011-17
• Glenelg : Senior coach 2017-20 (Premiers 2019)
• Brisbane : Strategy coach 2020-23

Currently head of football at Christchurch

He’s in his late 50’s so would be around the same age as Fagan was when he started coaching Brisbane

It’s an impressive resume - coaching at 4 clubs during successful periods for each plus a stint as head coach at SANFL level where he won a flag

Sort of strikes me as someone who’d be a good assistant but not necessarily a good senior coach. I’d love him as a senior assistant but Convocation has indicated he has no interest in an assistant role

Certainly someone we could/should sound out particularly as we transition the list.

A director of coaching role would also be something he might suit/be interested in

List management
VFL coach
Head of academy -so can develop the kids.
Current senior assistant at successful program
Leadership

Hayden Skipworth (Collingwood)

Craig McRae's senior assistant has ticked every box in a deliberate build towards becoming a senior coach, taking charge of the Magpies' midfield this season after re-shaping the team's ball-movement in 2022 and stoppages in the 2023 premiership year. Skipworth, who takes charge of the Magpies' program when McRae is away and has some involvement in list management, spent close to a decade with Essendon and built the club's standalone VFL team, which he coached for four years. He moved to Collingwood in 2020 and started as the head of academy before taking up assistant roles. The 41-year-old's efforts to ready himself for senior opportunities have seen him complete leadership courses at Harvard and Columbia Universities, and development opportunities with NBA and English Premier League clubs. Is seen as ready now and would cross from a successful program under McRae

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tom Morris did a nothing report on FC of Sydney are confident that Cox stays and takes over from Horse. Did say the old ‘things can change’’

Lloyd said he thinks Cox is coaching the Swans in 2 years.

Kornes nailed it and said well the Eagles have to make contact with Longmire to come across. 100%, imagine getting getting the arse with that list and put that much time into a club.

One game is nowhere near enough of a sample size to draw conclusions but if Schofield could get that level of effort and intensity replicated another 6 times this year, regardless of the win/loss tally in the end, i would be happy with him as coach. He looks impressive. Looks like he is a man who knows who he is, what he is trying to do, has confidence in himself and his skill set.

He also looks, by the lack of grey hair, to be a man with a fair bit of youth and energy left in which will be important to a coach a young list. You will have to babysit and micromanage them to a degree. That would be time and energy intensive. Unlike if you have an experienced list who know their role and how to prepare themselves and all you have to worry about is match day coaching. That is the main reason why i think Simpson failed in the last few years - he doesn't have the energy and intensity needed to nurse a young list anymore.

I don't know why everybody fixates on Cox. Sure he was a bigger name as a player than some of the other candidates but what does that count for or why would that indicate a higher chance of success? And sure he is assistant coaching at a club that is minor premier. But they also have a wayyy better list with lots of help from academies. So i don't think that that should seperate him from other candidates from clubs lower down the ladder.

If he wants to apply he can apply and go through the process and if he is the best man for the jo then so be it. But i am not assuming he is or should be the front runner based on his playing record or the fact that he is assistant coaching at a club higher up the ladder at the moment.
Love your analysis!!! Agree with all you write.

• Fremantle : Midfield coach 2011-15, Forwards coach 2016, Stoppage and structures coach/training program coordinator 2011-17

He’s in his late 50’s so would be around the same age as Fagan was when he started coaching Brisbane

It’s an impressive resume - coaching at 4 clubs during successful periods for each plus a stint as head coach at SANFL level where he won a flag

Sort of strikes me as someone who’d be a good assistant but not necessarily a good senior coach. I’d love him as a senior assistant but Convocation has indicated he has no interest in an assistant role

Certainly someone we could/should sound out particularly as we transition the list.

A director of coaching role would also be something he might suit/be interested in
Without a doubt the best resume out there if he wanted to interview for the job.
You may be right and he wouldn't be a good head coach but you never know. I like the idea as director or coaching as he has a brilliant football mind

Jade Rawlings was a mere 31yo caretaker in 2009. But generally you do want that little bit more experience for an official head coach gig. I think 2004 draftee McQualter (another Tiger caretaker) is the current youngest active to have coached a chunk of games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My guess is, despite the speculation, Cox wont apply and we end up with Jaymie Graham.

My guess is, despite the speculation, Cox wont apply and we end up with Jaymie Graham.
Very possible. The other line of thought is that Cox tells Swans to guarantee he coaches them in 2026 despite Longmire wanting to go on. Swans either agree and Longmire gets pissed off and leaves end of this year to coach Eagles in 2025, or Swans disagree and Cox takes the Eagles job next year.

I’d be very happy with either.

West Coast should be scouting every State League for young, hungry, and up and coming coaches to populate the assistant ranks. To complement that, they'll also need to bring in some older, wiser heads to help develop them.

People seem to forget, coaches don't have all the answers. Like the players, they're learning and developing on the job.

Very possible. The other line of thought is that Cox tells Swans to guarantee he coaches them in 2026 despite Longmire wanting to go on. Swans either agree and Longmire gets pissed off and leaves end of this year to coach Eagles in 2025, or Swans disagree and Cox takes the Eagles job next year.

I’d be very happy with either.
And Pyke would likely have intimate knowledge of any succession plan.

The best outcome would be the swans win the flag this year and Longmire feels now is the right time for a change.

West Coast should be scouting every State League for young, hungry, and up and coming coaches to populate the assistant ranks. To complement that, they'll also need to bring in some older, wiser heads to help develop them.

People seem to forget, coaches don't have all the answers. Like the players, they're learning and developing on the job.
We should've gone hard for Barlow last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back