Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

So NOW we know why everyone else is pulling out of the coaching race.... Harley wants Schoey. ;)

West Coast Eagles teen sensation Harley Reid up for rebuild pressure cooker, wants Jarrad Schofield by side

Mitchell Woodcock | West Coast Eagles

Thu, 15 August 2024 7:30PM

View attachment 2080458

West Coast teen sensation Harley Reid says he is up for the fight as the club ramps up its long and treacherous rebuild.

And he believes interim coach Jarrad Schofield has given the Eagles a harder edge since taking over from Adam Simpson five weeks ago, in a glowing endorsement that carries plenty of weight.

Reid has enjoyed another glittering patch of form in recent weeks, with West Coast and Schofield a chance to claim a third straight victory when they meet a battle-worn Carlton at Optus Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Speaking exclusively to The West Australian as he swapped the footy boots for boxing gloves on Thursday night at an event with West Aussie UFC star Steve Erceg, Reid opened up on the unprecedented attention around his first season in blue and gold and the club’s road ahead.

“It’s gone so quick. There’s been some big days, some long days, some long flights and some big travels, but at the end of the day, this is our job,” he said at the launch of UFC 305, which is live and exclusive on Main Event through Kayo and Foxtel.

“We really enjoy kicking the footy around and it’s such a great environment to be in.

“It felt like I got drafted yesterday and not long until the break, I’ll reset to hopefully have a big second season.”

Reid is the latest to laud Schofield’s no-excuse method as he surges into favouritism to become the Eagles’ next coach.

The West’s columnist Danielle Laidley dubbed the Eagles under their caretaker boss as “blue-collar”, and other players say they have responded well to his approach.

Schofield has publicly encouraged Reid to play on the edge since taking over the caretaker role last month from Adam Simpson and Reid said he appreciates their relationship.

“Obviously, having a different perspective come in with Schoey, and I was lucky enough to create a relationship with him as soon as I got to the club having him as the midfield coach,” he said.

“He’s tough with the decisions he makes. He wants us to play on the edge and he’s got that grit about him. He’s had some great experience in his past coaching career and obviously his footy life too.

“To have another view, another coach coming in and seeing the way they go about it. No gameplan has changed with Simmo, it was all similar. It’s the difference between the voice and the chat; they’ve got two great perspectives and different views of the footy world.

“Schoey has been huge on us to play on the edge and play to win. I think that’s a mentality we have – to play to win, hard work and play consistent footy for four quarters because I think our best footy can match it against anyone in the league.”

The ex-midfield coach is now the lead contender in the race to replace Adam Simpson on a full-time basis next year, with a string of highly-regarded assistants, including some former Eagles, pulling out of the race.

The endorsement from Reid could mean plenty for Schofield, with the 19-year-old phenom the centrepiece of West Coast’s midfield and their most valuable on-field asset.

A win over Carlton in Sunday’s clash would send Schofield’s stocks through the roof, and Reid says he is up for the challenge.

He is set to take on Brownlow medallist Patrick Cripps and fellow No.1 draftee Sam Walsh.

“It’s a great experience to be out there and play against some great, talented and hard-working midfielders,” he said.

“Carlton have got such a great team and I think they’re going well this year.

“They’re knocking on the door to play finals, so for us, it’s another opportunity to get another win, and hopefully, we can be three-in-a-row, and hopefully, we can take it them at Optus Stadium in front of our home fans.”
Am loving the hard edge, Schofield has brought. Harley has obviously been told to play as he likes, including getting into fights with the opposition. The umpires aren't protecting him at all so mahe the opposition earn it.

Has also shown a willingness to distinguish himself from Simpdson (e.g. switching Ginbey to half-back).

What's needed going forward is a game plan. Can anyone explain what that might have been at Subiaco and what he might bring from that?

mr burns who the devil are you GIF

So who has possibly publicly withdrawn to deal privately behind closed doors??

If candidates are dropping out because of this then it isn't that private.

Am loving the hard edge, Schofield has brought. Harley has obviously been told to play as he likes, including getting into fights with the opposition. The umpires aren't protecting him at all so mahe the opposition earn it.

Has also shown a willingness to distinguish himself from Simpdson (e.g. switching Ginbey to half-back).

What's needed going forward is a game plan. Can anyone explain what that might have been at Subiaco and what he might bring from that?

Don't worry about game plan to much, the entire 18 clubs are all pretty much trying to play the same run and stun game plan. Not many are elite at it which we are one of those. It takes a high skill level, extreme fitness base and a willing to work yourself into the ground to achieve it.
It takes time to sort it out.

But don't think all clubs have way different game plans, they are almost all identical in what they want as an end result, but look a little different because of different personel.

Schofields game plan will be a replica of Hawthorns game plan, it will just take time to get there.

So who has possibly publicly withdrawn to deal privately behind closed doors??

If candidates are dropping out because of this then it isn't that private.
Pyke or Cox are the only ones who he could be talking about. Most likely Pyke and no chance it happens.

Google nearly any coaching job and at this stage a heap of candidates have pulled out. Way too much being made of it. Graham is only surprise for me atm

Last edited:
Pyke or Cox are the only ones who he could be talking about. Most likely Pyke and no chance it happens.

Google nearly any coaching job and at this stage a heap of candidates have pulled out. Way too much being made of it. Graham is only surprise for me atm

Pyke or Buckley fit the boat for me as who old mate Damo might be alluding to.

I read this as Damo knowing Buckley isn't entirely ruled out yet... so putting something out there to look clever if something does happen with it... but not actually putting a name to it. Which says to me it's highly unlikely (and nothing to do with the non-interest of the various assistants).

If say the top job goes to a new person in the head coach position could they be paid slightly unders and then use the extra on some new assistants like the ones being mentioned to lure them over.

Would a head coach take a little salary hit knowing he will be surrounded with good talent and look at team success above back pocket success?

Would still be a great payday but don't be greedy and spread the funds to have an overall awesome coaching line up.

Obviously the new head coach will have some contacts they would want to bring on board but if getting best available assistants is possible now is they time to do it.

If say the top job goes to a new person in the head coach position could they be paid slightly unders and then use the extra on some new assistants like the ones being mentioned to lure them over.

Would a head coach take a little salary hit knowing he will be surrounded with good talent and look at team success above back pocket success?

Would still be a great payday but don't be greedy and spread the funds to have an overall awesome coaching line up.

Obviously the new head coach will have some contacts they would want to bring on board but if getting best available assistants is possible now is they time to do it.
They absolutely could, hence why North has Clarkson, Viney and not much else, because they're paying Clarkson a shit ton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m suggesting that Damo strongly believes that Pyke is still in play as the next coach & he may (but likely not) have some inside information that internally the club is trying to convince him that is the correct move.

If Pyke wants the best for this club, perhaps it’s not the worst idea he puts his role as CEO on hiatus & takes up the role as coach for 2-3 years & then hands over the role to Schofield who will have been continuing his education under Pyke but with greater responsibility over that period. (Roos/Goodwin)

This could also buy time for others to be available. In his current role you don’t really want Pyke influencing the playing style of the team as suggested above. You have to seperate on field & off field operations.

I’m suggesting that Damo strongly believes that Pyke is still in play as the next coach & he may (but likely not) have some inside information that internally the club is trying to convince him that is the correct move.

If Pyke wants the best for this club, perhaps it’s not the worst idea he puts his role as CEO on hiatus & takes up the role as coach for 2-3 years & then hands over the role to Schofield who will have been continuing his education under Pyke but with greater responsibility over that period. (Roos/Goodwin)

This could also buy time for others to be available. In his current role you don’t really want Pyke influencing the playing style of the team as suggested above. You have to seperate on field & off field operations.

And who takes over as CEO then?

I could understand the sausage suggesting this as he's an idiot but genuinely don't get why so many others seem to be

It's so dumb

Just listened to Schofields most resent press conference. I still absolutely think we must go through a rigorous process.

But, we should note his impressive growth and on the vibe alone we should not be concerned about insecure assistants, or those who place family stability before the ultimate challenge, not wanting to contest the position. Schofield is a very strong contender. Only a particularly great coach will knock him off.

Last edited:

Tbh, that just kind of shows that Barrett doesn't know much about Schofield, along with the others who keep harping on about how interim coaches don't work.

Let's look at who the ones have been this century(off the top of my head):

Roos - Successful premiership coach.

Ratten - Knifed for Lyon and would be having a giggle at how bad the Saints are going right now. May not have been the messiah but a more than capable coach/Saints are a complete rabble.

Teague - Got some good results but was he really experienced enough for the role? Didn't look like Carlton went through much of a process before appointing him. Looking at his previous coaching roles, it doesn't ever seem like he was a senior assistant at any of the clubs he coached for. Did coach Northern Bullants to 2 grand finals though as a player-coach. Carlton are also a rabble and their previous appointment of Bolton was just as bad.

Shaw - Similar to Teague, he also never was a senior assistant and was basically thrust into the role, before having a mental breakdown at the end of his first season, as he clearly wasn't prepared for the role.

If you compare all of that to Schofield, he has a far better CV. In fact, if he wasn't the interim coach, he'd probably be far and away the most qualified candidate.

WAFL coaching history:

• Took Subi Colts from spooners to premiers, in one season.
  • 5 grand finals for 3 flags(yes, there were salary cap 'issues' but you still have to be able to get your team there)

AFL coaching history
  • Senior assistant at Port
  • Senior assistant at WCE

Most of the other assistants spoken about don't have anywhere close to the experience he has, either at state level, or as an AFL senior assistant. He's simply getting the bad rap mostly because of Teague and Shaw, which were terrible appointments to begin with.

I'm not saying he should be the next head coach for WCE but his resume stacks up very well to those others in consideration and he should be near the top of the list.

Will love this....☝️

He would genuinely think he is a shot at being CEO and after being knocked back by our Board, would be even more salty and pissed off, can you just imagine the level of bitterness that would spurn.

He would take rejection to a whole new level.

Of course you can, though if the team improves and the coach starts demanding more money, you may then lose some of those assistants as their pay gets squeezed or they also chase bigger bucks. Personally, whether we go Schofield or Montgomery, we should be paying them less than most coaches giving us a ... wait for it... war chest to spend on assistants. I say get a young one for fresh ideas (Selwood, perhaps) and a very highly credentialed one.

If schofield gets the gig could we bring in montgomery as senior assistant?

Word is he's nailed on for an assistant role under Nicks at Adelaide if he's not the WCE head coach.

Maybe not Montgomery as assistant to Schofield given he’s been linked to Adelaide under Nicks but Schofield staying as an assistant under Montgomery has appeal

Bring in a new forwards coach to replace Knights and possibly move Webster on

I’d like us to target Matt Spangher (current backline coach at the Bulldogs) for no other reason than I think he’d be a good presence around the club. Could be a good counter balance to the more intense Montgomery and Schofield

Not sure on a forwards coach but Scott Selwood might like a crack at that to build his resume after looking after the mids at Collingwood

That looks a good coaching panel and we could go after Mark Stone in a director of coaching role - he might be interested in something like that rather than a line coach which he’s been for a couple of decades

And for the cherry on top, Mark Williams or Stewart Dew (who both have relationships with Montgomery and Schofield) to head up development

Soft cap might take a hit in 2025 as we’d have Simpson’s payout to absorb but we have the money and we need to get this right

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back