Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

My belief is Boots isn't experienced enough to be the mid field coach. Especially when we don't have ruck dominance, great player however hasn't had real coaching experience.
He's not the midfield coach, he's the stoppage coach.

We currently don't have a midfield coach because that was Schofield's line.

I think today was just another reminder that the next coach is on a hiding to nothing. A lot more pain to come. Who knows we might win 6 next year. Days like today make it hard to keep up the optimism.

I dunno about that - I don't expect us to rocket up the ladder but they can bring a more accountable and contested style of football, throw down some non-negotiables and actually drop underperforming players. We've appeared to have got the fitness side of our game at least heading in the right direction, now we just need a better gameplan as well as some improvements on our list - which will come through the draft and recruitment and the return of some injured players like Long, Hewett and the hopefully improvements of players like Bazzo, Chesser, Dewar, Johnston and JWilliams. We were doing the same shit as last year in trying to move down the boundary and force a contest or pinpoint passes in congestion when we lack the skill - hopefully a new coach gets rid of that.

Last edited:
You mean like how he dropped Darling for the first time in his AFL career?

Which lasted a week before he boomerangs straight back into the side, played one decent game and then outside a spoil last week has done nothing again .

It’s also a bit rich for schoey to say we don’t gift blokes games when today was exactly that for gaff. ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I thought Shuey took over the midfield, they mentioned it in the Brisbane game.
Quite possibly, I don't recall that.

Either way, he's not an experienced coach and is only doing it out of necessity.

He wouldn't be midfield coach next year, I imagine.

It truly is quite incredible that Sam Mitchell was able to single handedly win us a flag as an assistant when it's also the most useless role in football.

We had Shuey driving the midfield and who won the Normie , Yeo and Kelly are very flaky and are pretty shit kicks as the main drivers ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

After the Blues flogging i am convinced we need to flush out the coaches box and bring in new eyes and brains. Carlton are a well drilled team that were extremely effective even with the disruption of so many ins. Our ability to combat superior tactics is non-existent and we continually try the same thing and expect different results (or dont care).

No Schoey for me, he is too influenced by the rot that has plagued our team the past few years. Players need a reboot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People calling for wide-scale change need to remember that we've already been through some pretty significant changes recent, including a new CEO and a new High Performance Manager, and a new list manager that hasn't had a chance to prove himself with a full trade/draft period. We are also going to get a new Senior Coach and at least one new Assistant, given the departure of Knights.

That's quite a lot in a short space of time.

I suspect that most of the assistants are on contract and can't be sacked without hurting our soft cap. So any new Senior Coach, Schofield or otherwise, will turn over the coaching staff as/when they can.

Two wins papered over the cracks a little but keeping in mind GC are woeful away from home and for a half of footy we were played off the park by North.

I like Schofield but I don't have faith that he is the answer moving forward.

Two wins papered over the cracks a little but keeping in mind GC are woeful away from home and for a half of footy we were played off the park by North.

The couple of wins didn't paper over the cracks, the cracks are canyons and that is what Simpson and Nisbett left the club with. An absolute disaster.
Whether it's a fresh set of eyes or Schofield the list will still have way to many Simpson players that continue to prove their days of turning up weekly to do their job are long behind them.
How do we get rid of all of them?
Tough gig to take on. Someone has to do it. Do we go with a hard edge guy like Schofield or a friendly give them a hug type of coach.
Huge decision for the club

And we will, if he was at another club with his resume we would be yelling to appoint him.
The list is a disgrace thanks to previous coach and club decisions and now we need to face up to reality how far back we are coming from.
His success at Subiaco is hugely over rated. It was then and still is now a Level 4 comp after the AFL, VFL ,SANFL.
Even Scott Watters coached Subiaco to a couple of premierships before Schofield, you could say Scott set it up for him.

Brett Montgomery isn't a nobody, he played in Ports premiership team that was coached by Choco Williams.
Other coaches and assistants from that team are Adam Kingsley, Damian Hardwick, Brendan Lade and Schofield.

The couple of wins didn't paper over the cracks, the cracks are canyons and that is what Simpson and Nisbett left the club with. An absolute disaster.
Whether it's a fresh set of eyes or Schofield the list will still have way to many Simpson players that continue to prove their days of turning up weekly to do their job are long behind them.
How do we get rid of all of them?
Tough gig to take on. Someone has to do it. Do we go with a hard edge guy like Schofield or a friendly give them a hug type of coach.
Huge decision for the club

I think those wins gave a false sense of suitability for Schofield to be made the permanent head coach across the fan base and media.

Hopefully all those externals noises were ignored and the club goes through a very thorough process on the next coach.
Agree it's probably the toughest gig in football to take on because the club isn't used to being down for long periods but we're set up to still be two years away from being competitive more often.

The upcoming draft can be huge for the club if we can get at least 5 top 30 picks and use them smartly.

I think those wins gave a false sense of suitability for Schofield to be made the permanent head coach across the fan base and media.

Hopefully all those externals noises were ignored and the club goes through a very thorough process on the next coach.
Agree it's probably the toughest gig in football to take on because the club isn't used to being down for long periods but we're set up to still be two years away from being competitive more often.

The upcoming draft can be huge for the club if we can get at least 5 top 30 picks and use them smartly.

I have no doubt the noise will be ignored and all candidates will go through the process. Except a head hunted candidate if their is one.

His success at Subiaco is hugely over rated. It was then and still is now a Level 4 comp after the AFL, VFL ,SANFL.
Even Scott Watters coached Subiaco to a couple of premierships before Schofield, you could say Scott set it up for him.

Brett Montgomery isn't a nobody, he played in Ports premiership team that was coached by Choco Williams.
Other coaches and assistants from that team are Adam Kingsley, Damian Hardwick, Brendan Lade and Schofield.

One of the funniest things i have read on here in years. No idea mate.

Look, we all accept we got a bit of a new coach bounce when Schoey stepped up.

We’ve got to be prepared to try some out of the box thinking to sort this out. They’re already experimenting with this stuff overseas.

New coach bounce every week, who says no?

yeah the North win was more North shitting the bed than us winning. if we had played Carlton and were 9 goals to 3 down mid third quarter, it would have got ugly.

in fact it did get ugly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back