Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked Schofield's presser. Clearly disappointed and frustrated, pointed toward players not fulfilling their match day role - without naming names or hanging players out to dry. I get the feeling he'd be a coach that drives high standards.

I also, heard today that he hates Freo with a passion.

I feel that Schofield is pretty cluey and has the right demeanor....However the list is soooo bad.... Especially the senior half backs and mids....

It seems that they aren't able to either execute or listen to game plan.

I feel that if he can drop either Kelly(or push him to half forward) or Duggan(wafl)... He sees what the majority of us see

And he gets my vote... Otherwise seeya

Schofield gave me the shudders the moment he subbed out Williams over Darling.

Reeked of a Simmo credits move. And for a rebuilding side this was unacceptable.

This was the final nail.
I thought it should have been Allen. He’s got to find a way to get himself into the game when things aren’t going his way.

He is getting on with everyone now but see how it pans out there he up someone’s or has the guts to cut an underperforming player .
You mean like how he dropped Darling for the first time in his AFL career?

So Schofield couldn't prove anything by winning games but gets written off after a terrible loss.

Hope I never work for most of you blokes.

I also hope you give the new coach more than a month to prove his mettle in the the hot seat but I guess we'll see.

FTR I'm as dirty as anyone after today but it doesn't change anything for me - if he's the best guy we interview I'm happy for him to get the job.

So Schofield couldn't prove anything by winning games but gets written off after a terrible loss.

Hope I never work for most of you blokes.

I also hope you give the new coach more than a month to prove his mettle in the the hot seat but I guess we'll see.

FTR I'm as dirty as anyone after today but it doesn't change anything for me - if he's the best guy we interview I'm happy for him to get the job.

Agree, he has taken on a poor lot to get through seasons end. Yes today they clearly didn’t show up to play and I am sure Schofield would be very confused about what he saw today.
But reality is it’s not his list and he is just dealing with a bad hand right now.
If he is the best man then that’s great, if it’s someone else that’s fine also. But it must be their list, not the last coaches mess.

Reeked of a Simmo credits move. And for a rebuilding side this was unacceptable.

This was the final nail.

It was very poor but this game was about more than Gaffy getting a send off, it was also about all his best mates at the club playing one final game with him. JD and Yeo were pre-planned to chair him off, pretty sure Witherden played these last 2 weeks because he's close to Gaff [was kissing him on the neck in the farewell video package] so after already dropping Maric and Hall from the side and obviously needing to put out a tall it was only ever going to be Jack Williams given it happened quite early in the game. Oscar playing terribly bit captain, Darling doing it for Gaffy tm and Bailey is first ruck/has the match fitness to solo ruck the rest of the game. Can't put that on Schofield I don't think but I'd love to know who makes these calls. Gavin Bell? Pyke? The head of sales and marketing? Todd Nesbitt?

I get the feeling we already hired someone. Pykes comments about people taking their name out of the hat when they werent in contention in a snarky way makes me think the interview pile is likely very very small in size and its more or less a formality as to who we get

Feel like it will be Montgomery who gets the job
Where were these comments? Haven’t heard this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, he has taken on a poor lot to get through seasons end. Yes today they clearly didn’t show up to play and I am sure Schofield would be very confused about what he saw today.
But reality is it’s not his list and he is just dealing with a bad hand right now.
If he is the best man then that’s great, if it’s someone else that’s fine also. But it must be their list, not the last coaches mess.
What's Langer's mate the sports Psychologist from Cricket Australia doing to wake these guys up so they come out to play every time they pull on the jumper.

This was the final nail.
I think you may find that JWilliams came off second best when Darling cleaned up the pack earlier and JWilliams was playing sore after that as I was at the game and saw it happen right in front of me.

It doesn’t guarantee it but it’s more likely than someone who’s never played at the highest level and therefore doesn’t understand what it takes to be successful at that level.
99% of coaches have played AFL so that not a particular differentiator. Many of the better ones were not top level players and had to learn and understand t he game - better preparing them to direct and explain roles/tasks in simple terms.

It was at the River Room before the game. He gave a bit of a snarky response to the conversation of coaches withdrawing their names from the role
Ok. What was the word or comment to make you feel like we already have someone lined up?

The Monty push seems real. With nothing to base it on, I like it.

I honestly think any prospective coach would be asking how on earth did we get to this point?
It’s a huge hike up the hill coming!
I'm coming round to what you mentioned before; has to be an outsider

I was blinded by loyalty to Simmo thinking he'd tuen things around.

I hope a book comes out one day, because this shamble deserves it: 101 Business - How to bring a Company down - Standards & Accountability- WCE Case Study

I'd rather Charles Montgomery burns our list to the ground.
I'd rather this guy

Mr Burns GIF

I feel that Schofield is pretty cluey and has the right demeanor....However the list is soooo bad.... Especially the senior half backs and mids....

It seems that they aren't able to either execute or listen to game plan.

I feel that if he can drop either Kelly(or push him to half forward) or Duggan(wafl)... He sees what the majority of us see

And he gets my vote... Otherwise seeya
My belief is Boots isn't experienced enough to be the mid field coach. Especially when we don't have ruck dominance, great player however hasn't had real coaching experience.

The midfield has been terrible under him for a while. Would have been better to retain simpson than appoint Schofield.
Oh my god did you just say that - Simmo’s time was definitely up and you do realise that assistant coaches carry out the head coaches instructions - they don’t get free rein to run the show how they would like lol !

I'm leaning toward a fresh broom.
I don’t think Jesus Christ could do much with the list we have at the moment as there’s a big hole in our list through bad list management - and it happens time and time again after a couple of reasonable games we then forget to turn up for the following match. Bad habits have been allowed to creep in over the last few years.

It was very poor but this game was about more than Gaffy getting a send off, it was also about all his best mates at the club playing one final game with him. JD and Yeo were pre-planned to chair him off, pretty sure Witherden played these last 2 weeks because he's close to Gaff [was kissing him on the neck in the farewell video package] so after already dropping Maric and Hall from the side and obviously needing to put out a tall it was only ever going to be Jack Williams given it happened quite early in the game. Oscar playing terribly bit captain, Darling doing it for Gaffy tm and Bailey is first ruck/has the match fitness to solo ruck the rest of the game. Can't put that on Schofield I don't think but I'd love to know who makes these calls. Gavin Bell? Pyke? The head of sales and marketing? Todd Nesbitt?
Gepp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back