Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Two wins papered over the cracks a little but keeping in mind GC are woeful away from home and for a half of footy we were played off the park by North.

I like Schofield but I don't have faith that he is the answer moving forward.
But who is with our list as it stands as what’s required is a good coach and good cattle as neither works without the other! What people need to realise is that Schofield has taken on Simmo’s list so a bit difficult to judge, as an outside coach more than likely won’t do any better until such time the list as a whole is addressed. I just want the best candidate who applies and should that end up being Schofield well I’m okay with that and should it end up being somebody from outside the club then happy about that as well. Just get the best candidate however the problem is with our list as it stands would put some off from applying which as we know has been the case.

It’s also a bit rich for schoey to say we don’t gift blokes games when today was exactly that for gaff. ..
I think its very clear the directive to play Gaff came from much higher than Schofield.

Brad Hardie didn’t exactly endorse Montgomery in any shape or form so make of that what you will.
Has Brad Hardie ever said anything positive about us?

During the 2018 GF he carried on like someone had shot his first born.

Was

Absolutely this…regarding the coaching search, all he does is poo poo every option and continue to talk negative crap.

Grumble grumble, nobody wants the job…the club is rotten! Grumble grumble, Schofield is too connected to the previous regime. Grumble grumble, Montgomery is no good!

Don’t think I’ve heard him provide any decent analysis on who should or could get the job at this stage.

Was

Absolutely this…regarding the coaching search, all he does is poo poo every option and continue to talk negative crap.

Grumble grumble, nobody wants the job…the club is rotten! Grumble grumble, Schofield is too connected to the previous regime. Grumble grumble, Montgomery is no good!

Don’t think I’ve heard him provide any decent analysis on who should or could get the job at this stage.
I feel the same about David King and Garry Lying - they’re very happy to critique everyone and every thing, but don’t have the guts to take on a head coach role themselves.

Hardie believes it’s down to four Schofield , Montgomery, macqualter and one other that he doesn’t know as yet …

Don’t worry he was pot shotting freo plenty today also re their coach , players and rumours of blokes wanting out

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

But who is with our list as it stands as what’s required is a good coach and good cattle as neither works without the other! What people need to realise is that Schofield has taken on Simmo’s list so a bit difficult to judge, as an outside coach more than likely won’t do any better until such time the list as a whole is addressed. I just want the best candidate who applies and should that end up being Schofield well I’m okay with that and should it end up being somebody from outside the club then happy about that as well. Just get the best candidate however the problem is with our list as it stands would put some off from applying which as we know has been the case.

If the club goes through a thorough process and settles on Schofield so be it, can only imagine in that case he has outlined his ideas and plans excellently and they are on board.

Maybe I'm hopeless optimistic, but I feel like we can bounce back quicker than people realise. Not saying we will bounce back quickly... just that it's possible. There's talent in the list, it's just not working cohesively. And obviously, we are relying on a few guys like Yeo and McGovern who are pretty injury prone. But there's some talent to work with, like Jack Williams, Ryan Maric, Brady Hough, Noah Long, etc... and of course, Reid.

IMHO, the new list manager has got his work cut out for him. We have excess talent in the forward line, rival clubs circling Barrass (and possibly Edwards), a desperate need for better ruck options... this is where some good trading could transform the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i've liked a lot of what i have heard from schoey but honestly wasn't a fan of him saying they prepared the best they could but the players didn't execute. i'm sorry but you don't get beat by 11 goals at home to a woefully out of form side with half its list injured if you have prepared the best you could. if the players can't execute the plan it's on you to give them something they can execute. want a bit more ownership from the bloke at the top for mine.

People love to catastrophise and yesterdays result has certainly put a spring in a lot of steps. With what they had on the line and the media cheering them on Carlton needed to deliver and good on them for doing so. Whatever happens happens but after 11 years of nauseating Simpson spin Jarrad Schofield handled himself to pitch perfection yesterday in the press conference. We waved a red flag at a bull with the we're going to send off our "legacy" players in a home game and kick two of our best young prospects in the guts on the way through (Maric, Williams) and we got what we thoroughly deserved. Whoever takes over in 2025 I hope to never hear the words "legacy player" ever again nor see another selection like the Gaff selection. It was utterly embarrassing seeing those 2 guys chaired off after a performance like that, and for me it'll be one of THE enduring memories of this era of utter softness and mediocrity that's been allowed to define the culture of a once great organisation.

What was said post match is what I want to see said when losses like this happen. Didn't call any players out by name, but certainly individual players would be under no illusions that accountability is coming if Schofield is there next season. Highlight of the day really, green shoot. If Montgomery speaks like this I will have no issues with him being appointed either, as a player I think I'd have the upmost respect for a coach talking like this. It's a pretty rare individual who can I think.

JS: We’ve shown all year, and I’ve said it before, that our best is good enough, and then when you’re off, and you’re not committed to it, through choices that you make, whether its through work rate, being clean around the contest, if you collectively don’t have the numbers to get it done, you get exposed.

Press: How do you ensure that this disappointment does’t carry over into next week, considering it is the end of your season, you know, you don’t get complacent I suppose?

JS: Well there’s no complacency, I can tell you that right now.

Press: Cripps went into beast mode today, how hard did you try and stop him?

JS: Yeah.. well he wasn’t alone Hewitt was pretty good in there too..

We gave tasks to individuals and they didn’t follow, and when you give a task to someone and they don’t execute their role then you’re searching for other players to step up in that space that, really, shouldn’t of had to. So that’s the accountability for that individual to make sure they get it done but yeah he was enormous by half time with 21 possession you know, he was on his way, lucky we sort of curtailed his influence a little bit, but then the dam walls break and… when you’ve got too many numbers around the football and its left to too few, again, its hard work

Press: Did you have a tag on him?

JS: Not so much a tag, its more of just accountability, even though they’re in the modern game, there is still some tasks, football methods I suppose you go to and that’s just being accountable to a player, no different to a backman playing on a forward, and so at the end of the day certain individuals need to take account of messaging and performances from that game."

In 11 years of his tenure if Simpson had even once given answers like that I would have a completely different view of him, but instead he always squirmed, deflected, sooked. Under him standards all but evaporated and we saw no evidence of accountability of any kind for many players. I don't think that will be the case under Schofield, yet at the same time he didn't bash the players or go in for the embarrassing histrionics of a Dimma and his "players need to grow the **** up."

He seems like a bloke who knows where the balance is between carrot and stick. After watching him operate over the last 6 weeks I'm pretty sure at least one of the next 3 senior jobs will be his, and he seems pretty relaxed about the prospect of being passed over if we go another way and that's a good thing for all involved because he should be. Fixing this club is a big job, I'm sure he wants the job and is up for the task but if the club says "no thanks'' it's probably not going to devastate him. I don't think he'd regret taking in on in the slightest regardless of the outcome for the West Coast job.

Hardie believes it’s down to four Schofield , Montgomery, macqualter and one other that he doesn’t know as yet …

That's some solid intel from Brad; "It's down to these 3 and some other guy."

i've liked a lot of what i have heard from schoey but honestly wasn't a fan of him saying they prepared the best they could but the players didn't execute. i'm sorry but you don't get beat by 11 goals at home to a woefully out of form side with half its list injured if you have prepared the best you could. if the players can't execute the plan it's on you to give them something they can execute. want a bit more ownership from the bloke at the top for mine.

Disagree with this a little, yes you want ownership at the top, that comes with being an AFL coach but I thought it was a breath of fresh air hearing a coach put it to his players who never showed up for work. Instead of the throwaway line of we need to improve collectively.
They could have prepared well? Why did half the team not want to play yesterday?

Just out of interest has Brad Hardie ever had a nice word to say about anybody?

He does love his mirror, does Brad ............. probably uses up all his nice words allocation there, before he leaves the house.

He does love his mirror, does Brad ............. probably uses up all his nice words allocation there, before he leaves the house.

Brad looking in the mirror before he leaves the house each day perfectly explains why he’s such a bitter campaigner all the time

Just out of interest has Brad Hardie ever had a nice word to say about anybody?
Wasn't there something about being offered the WC captaincy then either not being released or WC changing their mind or some such thing that made him all salty forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back