Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I was warm on Schofield and he has been a fresh voice. He has also handled himself very well. But as an important 3 year line coach, with direct contact and responsibility to players, he is part of the problem and part of the long term narrative. Sorry for him, but we need a full new voice and fresh approach to reset the playing group.

I can’t go through all of that point for point or we’d be here all day, but a couple of things stick out.

Gaff’s handling this year has been damn near perfect. That is to say he was invisible in R1, subbed out at half time, then didn’t return for months until we basically had no more options and he had many 30+ WAFL games under his belt. This “then the credits crew returned” angle is a fallacy.

Schofield has to take some blame for how bad our midfield has been when he’s been the midfield coach. And if he gets credit for changes post Simmo, he also has to eat the multiple games where we turned up and our midfield didn’t get a touch. He cant be coaching with his hands tied behind his back as both assistant and head coach.

The bar hasn’t become magically unfairly high when Schofield took the chair, but that stat up there isn’t exactly an unfair stick with which to beat someone. Eighth team in history to be down by 100 at the half. In history. Absolutely diabolical, and absolutely one of our worst losses ever. “Harsh to frame this as unacceptable” is generous beyond generous.

Nobody is asking for click the fingers everything is fixed - the list is miles away in many positions and incredibly thin at the very least. But he’s meant to be the rah rah, uncompromising hard nut motivator, and three of our four worst losses of the year imo were under him (Hawks at home the other, under Simpson, and definitely the worst to me).

If he was meant to be this genius at unlocking possession football, I’d expect our possession football to improve. But he’s not, he’s the rah rah hard nut, and our team has sleepwalked into 3.5 buzzsaws in his seven games at the helm.

The Freo and Melbourne wins were our best, then GC (Schoey, tick), then raffle the other two. But go and read the North thread at half time and tell me it was just an accuracy issue. We were diabolical, they had seven guys with more possessions than our leading disposal getter at halftime. Game runs thirty seconds longer or shorter and we lose, but we didn’t, we won it which is great. And he gets a tick for that. Just like a huge tick for unlocking HBF Ginbey, and some of the magnet throwing has been a very good platform to build on. Happy to praise him when it’s called for.

Selection apparently isn’t up to him according to you, but now he gets ticks for playing Hall/Dewar/Trew etc? So which is it?

Midfield coach doesn’t bear the responsibility for our midfield performances, but we only had success in 2015/2018 because of our assistant coaches? So which is it?

If he gets the job I’m all in and hope he smashes it. I am throughly unconvinced.

PS. Zane Trew still can’t kick.

All because the guy might yell and be tough on the players….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hutchinson said on 6PR after the game that Schofield gave everyone a rocket at half time (RIGHTFULLY SO) I'm not sure that would've happened under Simmo, and it probably would've been the Swans game all over again.

Good on Schoey for taking up the task for the last couple of months of the season, but I need a fresh set of eyes and a clean slate looking over this team. Someone who'll lay down some standards and clip blokes (behind closed doors) when the standards aren't met.

I’m in the Montgomery camp (like all of us no real idea on who would and wouldn’t make a great coach)

You can’t judge Schofield on this year. Coaches need a full preseason to implement their game plan and standards. He speaks really well and has got a reasoned out of them in the 2nd half. Don’t think he will get the gig but do hope he sticks around next year as lead assistant but probably unlikely if he goes through the process.

Loved the Hutchinson into the guts 2nd half. Shows he can see some stuff and what we lack and where

Just watched the Scoey presser could see he’s pretty resigned in the fact he ain’t getting the job, definitely need a complete change , think we need a full reset , full new coaching lineup that’s including getting rid of shuey which is sad, but just needs to be done

I’m in the Montgomery camp (like all of us no real idea on who would and wouldn’t make a great coach)

You can’t judge Schofield on this year. Coaches need a full preseason to implement their game plan and standards. He speaks really well and has got a reasoned out of them in the 2nd half. Don’t think he will get the gig but do hope he sticks around next year as lead assistant but probably unlikely if he goes through the process.

Loved the Hutchinson into the guts 2nd half. Shows he can see some stuff and what we lack and where
No need to keep him around , need a full reset coaches to development coaches.

Hutchinson said on 6PR after the game that Schofield gave everyone a rocket at half time (RIGHTFULLY SO) I'm not sure that would've happened under Simmo, and it probably would've been the Swans game all over again.

Good on Schoey for taking up the task for the last couple of months of the season, but I need a fresh set of eyes and a clean slate looking over this team. Someone who'll lay down some standards and clip blokes (behind closed doors) when the standards aren't met.

It was a punt he had to take but he probably won’t get a full time gig elsewhere because of it unfortunately. No caretaker coach gets a gig after leaving the club they caretaker for.

Why we start like we do/did?

Same v Adelaide... that was worse imo

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with most. Complete refresh of the coaching group. Not one of them should be there next year, no existing relationships.

Get a new group in, set some basic standards and go from there. There's more to work with than most think but of course alot of work to do on the list. But a basic standard of what is and is not acceptable needs to be set with no excuses

Just watched the Scoey presser could see he’s pretty resigned in the fact he ain’t getting the job, definitely need a complete change , think we need a full reset , full new coaching lineup that’s including getting rid of shuey which is sad, but just needs to be done
I sort of agree but ..
You reckon a new face is going to do any better for next season...
Good Luck , if we're going to clean out everything and start afresh .
Schofield has the players respect you might lose a Harey Reid back to Victoria in the process.

Last edited:
Agree with most. Complete refresh of the coaching group. Not one of them should be there next year, no existing relationships.

Get a new group in, set some basic standards and go from there. There's more to work with than most think but of course alot of work to do on the list. But a basic standard of what is and is not acceptable needs to be set with no excuses
Probably the right way to go.

I can’t go through all of that point for point or we’d be here all day, but a couple of things stick out.

Gaff’s handling this year has been damn near perfect. That is to say he was invisible in R1, subbed out at half time, then didn’t return for months until we basically had no more options and he had many 30+ WAFL games under his belt. This “then the credits crew returned” angle is a fallacy.

Schofield has to take some blame for how bad our midfield has been when he’s been the midfield coach. And if he gets credit for changes post Simmo, he also has to eat the multiple games where we turned up and our midfield didn’t get a touch. He cant be coaching with his hands tied behind his back as both assistant and head coach.

The bar hasn’t become magically unfairly high when Schofield took the chair, but that stat up there isn’t exactly an unfair stick with which to beat someone. Eighth team in history to be down by 100 at the half. In history. Absolutely diabolical, and absolutely one of our worst losses ever. “Harsh to frame this as unacceptable” is generous beyond generous.

Nobody is asking for click the fingers everything is fixed - the list is miles away in many positions and incredibly thin at the very least. But he’s meant to be the rah rah, uncompromising hard nut motivator, and three of our four worst losses of the year imo were under him (Hawks at home the other, under Simpson, and definitely the worst to me).

If he was meant to be this genius at unlocking possession football, I’d expect our possession football to improve. But he’s not, he’s the rah rah hard nut, and our team has sleepwalked into 3.5 buzzsaws in his seven games at the helm.

The Freo and Melbourne wins were our best, then GC (Schoey, tick), then raffle the other two. But go and read the North thread at half time and tell me it was just an accuracy issue. We were diabolical, they had seven guys with more possessions than our leading disposal getter at halftime. Game runs thirty seconds longer or shorter and we lose, but we didn’t, we won it which is great. And he gets a tick for that. Just like a huge tick for unlocking HBF Ginbey, and some of the magnet throwing has been a very good platform to build on. Happy to praise him when it’s called for.

Selection apparently isn’t up to him according to you, but now he gets ticks for playing Hall/Dewar/Trew etc? So which is it?

Midfield coach doesn’t bear the responsibility for our midfield performances, but we only had success in 2015/2018 because of our assistant coaches? So which is it?

If he gets the job I’m all in and hope he smashes it. I am throughly unconvinced.

Happy to cordially reply, I still think you are being overly harsh.

This “then the credits crew returned” angle is a fallacy.

It's not a fallacy its you incorrectly framing what I said. Gaff came back in while going ok in the WAFL but not killing it, numbers were behind what Trew was putting up as many noted at the time. Besides this though I was referring to Ryan, then Sheed, then Flynn then Allen all coming straight back in off injuries either directly or when severely underdone. Very little selection integrity was shown through that period, many noted it at the time and the wheels fell off for Simmo from there.

Eighth team in history to be down by 100 at the half. In history. Absolutely diabolical, and absolutely one of our worst losses ever.

Eighth team to be down by 100 by half time? Ok, did anyone say the first half was good? Why are we needing to bring in half time stats there were plenty of records for full-time scores broken under the previous coach. The point is Geelong still had everything to play for and we won the second half. No 100 point losses under Schofield, 5 last year under Simpson and a 99 point loss under him earlier in the season. What does accountability look like for you there? According to Schofield they seem to think they prepared well. If it costs him the job do you look at moving on the 15 or so players who've failed to show up switched on for the 20th time in the past 2 seasons or do they get to kill the next coach who comes in and assumes a good preseason is going to put those psychological demons to bed. Incredible start by a red hot Geelong at home against Harry Edwards and Rhett Bazzo being absolutely hung out to dry by match committee, but pretty entertainly second half. I don't have this anywhere near my worst losses ever pile.

he’s meant to be the rah rah, uncompromising hard nut motivator, and three of our four worst losses of the year imo were under him

This is very revealing I feel. You can't stand the bloke because you think he's some old school campaigner who's only trick is yelling at the players and that offends you? Also explains why you hate Sam Mitchell? Except, this is not how Schofield coaches and if you've watched any of his responses over how to handle the players he's directly said you can't go about coaching this way and that's not his style. One of the reasons I like Schofield is because it seems that he started his coaching career in this mould and over time has matured and come up with a more effective style. I think working under Simpson has influenced him and he's learned from the way Simpson coached, and see's the value in having positive relationships with players and the softly softly approach. There is upside to the Simpson method, but also huge downside as we've seen. I think Schofield has been in an interesting position of having a front seat to seeing a good coaches method unravel, and see's that there is a balance that needs to be struck where players also crave honest feedback and to be held to standards. Hearing him talk about this was actually what won me over to wanting him to be a coach and I'd suggest you track it down if you can.

Not sure what this is about. Simmo pretty much said at the start of the season we're just focussing on the basics as players aren't ready for a complicated game plan yet. Were you expecting Schofield to come in and try implement a new gameplan for the last 7 games of the season? I don't think he's tried to do that, he's made some positional tweaks and asked the players to focus on being more consistent over 4 quarters. I personally don't believe in magic bullets or that there's some assistant coach out there sitting on IP that's going to revolutionise football and that its our job to find that guy and pay him a million dollars. Very much subscribe to its a simple game, all coaches are trying to do pretty much the same thing and the difference is mostly self belief and confidence and will to win. Fitness next. Lastly talent. Definitely no magic system and definitely no coach is going to come in an turn us into a high possessions side in 6 weeks when the majority of the team can't even execute a simple handball.

I'll cop criticism for the statements made on selection, I think the point you are making is dumb but I've left myself open for that gotcha. I think most would be ok with a re-frame where I'd suggest that as coach Schofield has some influence on selection as he's part of match committee, and as coach he'd have the scope to make positional moves like Ginbey to half back or giving certain players more time in the centre. I think as interim coach who presumably might not be there next year, and with perhaps a new coach coming in, that final say on moves he wants to make are going to be made by the list management team or Gavin Bell or someone like that. Can we get Hall in for a look? Yeah sure, we've wanted him in since round 1. Ginbey is struggling can I move him to half back and see how it goes? Yeah sure. Look we all know Gaffy's cooked does he have to come back into the side for 2 games when it's obvious he's not going to have any impact at all? No, we're giving him a proper send off. We're struggling down back, can I get TB into the side this week? No, he won't be playing again tell the press he's got a bad back. Gov and TB are out and Harry and Rhett are going to be slaughtered, can I move Allen back to stem the damage? No, he's our captain and want to play ff, and you shouldn't have been using him down there that other time you did it don't think we didn't notice Jarrad! etc etc. He is free-ish to coach the team the way he wants, but there are obviously limits and he has to work within what higher above have planned for the list beyond 2024.

PS: Zane Trew hate is cringe, and you've been proven wrong about his disposal multiple times by multiple posters ;)
IMO you'll get more traction shitting on Clay Halls kicking, I wouldn't personally do given he's just played his 3rd game but at least it'd be accurate. [sorry Clay]

Now if you'll excuse me, going to go log into my alt now and give this post a thumbs up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not really interested in the experienced coach to guide the team through some unspecified period, it’s either Schofield or we go even younger and try to innovate, but a coach that can see the bones of the list, has a plan for what to do with the list, and is prepared to see it through.

I'm in the same boat, could be swayed on a left field young guy with a heap of passion for the job. Quite risky though. Second time coaches are usually a bust and not really any in the market anyway. My gut feel and as I said the moment he pulled out of the race, is that Dean Cox has had this sewn up since the mid season break and ha s miraculous change of heart as soon as the Swans season is over.

It's not a fallacy its you incorrectly framing what I said. Gaff came back in while going ok in the WAFL but not killing it, numbers were behind what Trew was putting up as many noted at the time.
Just gotta point out that Trew and Gaff werent fighting for the same spot, Gaff wing vs nobody and Trew inside mid vs Yeo/Reid/Kelly.
Comparing their numbers is pointless

I think Schofield will still stay on , everyone behind the scenes at Wce knew what would happen today .. Next year he will be given the chance to build his own game plan that will be more attacking and aggressive..
^Disclaimer
I missed the game today thinking it was on Sunday so sometimes I know nothing ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Worth noting that of the 100 point half time margins:
1931 R02 - rich v nth; final margin 168
1985 R18 - ess v nth; final margin 104
1993 R08 - bris v syd; final margin 162
1996 R17 - adel v fitz; final margin 99
1999 R20 - bris v frem; final margin 114
2007 R06 - geel v rich; final margin 157
2011 R19 - geel v melb; final margin 186
2024 R24 - GEEL v WCE; final margin 93

Showed something to claw it back for the second half. I was interested in that 1996 game, Fitzroy got outscored 31-10 in the first quarter, then 86-1 in the 2nd quarter. Wow. Still outscored 27-18 in the 3rd, so margin was 115 at 3/4 time. Looks like Crows put the cue in the rack and Fitzroy got some junktime scores to win the last 38-22.

Happy to cordially reply, I still think you are being overly harsh.

It's not a fallacy its you incorrectly framing what I said. Gaff came back in while going ok in the WAFL but not killing it, numbers were behind what Trew was putting up as many noted at the time. Besides this though I was referring to Ryan, then Sheed, then Flynn then Allen all coming straight back in off injuries either directly or when severely underdone. Very little selection integrity was shown through that period, many noted it at the time and the wheels fell off for Simmo from there.

Eighth team to be down by 100 by half time? Ok, did anyone say the first half was good? Why are we needing to bring in half time stats there were plenty of records for full-time scores broken under the previous coach. The point is Geelong still had everything to play for and we won the second half. No 100 point losses under Schofield, 5 last year under Simpson and a 99 point loss under him earlier in the season. What does accountability look like for you there? According to Schofield they seem to think they prepared well. If it costs him the job do you look at moving on the 15 or so players who've failed to show up switched on for the 20th time in the past 2 seasons or do they get to kill the next coach who comes in and assumes a good preseason is going to put those psychological demons to bed. Incredible start by a red hot Geelong at home against Harry Edwards and Rhett Bazzo being absolutely hung out to dry by match committee, but pretty entertainly second half. I don't have this anywhere near my worst losses ever pile.

This is very revealing I feel. You can't stand the bloke because you think he's some old school campaigner who's only trick is yelling at the players and that offends you? Also explains why you hate Sam Mitchell? Except, this is not how Schofield coaches and if you've watched any of his responses over how to handle the players he's directly said you can't go about coaching this way and that's not his style. One of the reasons I like Schofield is because it seems that he started his coaching career in this mould and over time has matured and come up with a more effective style. I think working under Simpson has influenced him and he's learned from the way Simpson coached, and see's the value in having positive relationships with players and the softly softly approach. There is upside to the Simpson method, but also huge downside as we've seen. I think Schofield has been in an interesting position of having a front seat to seeing a good coaches method unravel, and see's that there is a balance that needs to be struck where players also crave honest feedback and to be held to standards. Hearing him talk about this was actually what won me over to wanting him to be a coach and I'd suggest you track it down if you can.

Not sure what this is about. Simmo pretty much said at the start of the season we're just focussing on the basics as players aren't ready for a complicated game plan yet. Were you expecting Schofield to come in and try implement a new gameplan for the last 7 games of the season? I don't think he's tried to do that, he's made some positional tweaks and asked the players to focus on being more consistent over 4 quarters. I personally don't believe in magic bullets or that there's some assistant coach out there sitting on IP that's going to revolutionise football and that its our job to find that guy and pay him a million dollars. Very much subscribe to its a simple game, all coaches are trying to do pretty much the same thing and the difference is mostly self belief and confidence and will to win. Fitness next. Lastly talent. Definitely no magic system and definitely no coach is going to come in an turn us into a high possessions side in 6 weeks when the majority of the team can't even execute a simple handball.

I'll cop criticism for the statements made on selection, I think the point you are making is dumb but I've left myself open for that gotcha. I think most would be ok with a re-frame where I'd suggest that as coach Schofield has some influence on selection as he's part of match committee, and as coach he'd have the scope to make positional moves like Ginbey to half back or giving certain players more time in the centre. I think as interim coach who presumably might not be there next year, and with perhaps a new coach coming in, that final say on moves he wants to make are going to be made by the list management team or Gavin Bell or someone like that. Can we get Hall in for a look? Yeah sure, we've wanted him in since round 1. Ginbey is struggling can I move him to half back and see how it goes? Yeah sure. Look we all know Gaffy's cooked does he have to come back into the side for 2 games when it's obvious he's not going to have any impact at all? No, we're giving him a proper send off. We're struggling down back, can I get TB into the side this week? No, he won't be playing again tell the press he's got a bad back. Gov and TB are out and Harry and Rhett are going to be slaughtered, can I move Allen back to stem the damage? No, he's our captain and want to play ff, and you shouldn't have been using him down there that other time you did it don't think we didn't notice Jarrad! etc etc. He is free-ish to coach the team the way he wants, but there are obviously limits and he has to work within what higher above have planned for the list beyond 2024.

PS: Zane Trew hate is cringe, and you've been proven wrong about his disposal multiple times by multiple posters ;)
IMO you'll get more traction shitting on Clay Halls kicking, I wouldn't personally do given he's just played his 3rd game but at least it'd be accurate. [sorry Clay]

Now if you'll excuse me, going to go log into my alt now and give this post a thumbs up.
This is all fair enough stuff and well put. And yes, Clay Hall’s kicking terrifies me (and plenty others by the looks).

The only thing I do think is egregious enough to correct is the hating Schoey/Mitchell at all, and especially for being reportedly hard nuts. I don’t hate Schoey at all, and he’s got my full support and a clean slate if he gets the gig.

Sam Mitchell is clearly an exceptional coach and was a huge part of our success during his time with us. Played his role beautifully. But that’s what it was, a role, not the be all and end all. They can’t be Schrodingers assistant, winning flags but also taking no blame for bad performances. He’s now a head coach and performing brilliantly, obviously a very smart operator.

You need a mix of carrot and stick in the coaching ranks. I just think the “I’m mad and smashed my remote so why isn’t the coach giving them a biblical spray on field” approach is pathetic and embarrassingly smooth brained. Doesn’t mean that some tough love and discipline isn’t needed from time to time, just that it’s a crutch used by angry old dudes who think footy’s gone soft and typically don’t have a clue.

Look at the Hawks this year - got the “bring the mouthguard” treatment, responded well, but since then it’s been a huge love in. Not because they’re terrified of their coach, or cause they got yelled at, but because even other psycho coaches like Hardwick (who used to encourage his multi flag team to physically write “warm fuzzies” to eachother, like on ****ing paper in their training facility) knows that you catch way more flies with honey. Time and place for the coaching meltdown, not default setting because I’m mad so I wished the coach smashed a phone every week to gee them up.

This is all fair enough stuff and well put. And yes, Clay Hall’s kicking terrifies me (and plenty others by the looks).

The only thing I do think is egregious enough to correct is the hating Schoey/Mitchell at all, and especially for being reportedly hard nuts. I don’t hate Schoey at all, and he’s got my full support and a clean slate if he gets the gig.

Sam Mitchell is clearly an exceptional coach and was a huge part of our success during his time with us. Played his role beautifully. But that’s what it was, a role, not the be all and end all. They can’t be Schrodingers assistant, winning flags but also taking no blame for bad performances. He’s now a head coach and performing brilliantly, obviously a very smart operator.

You need a mix of carrot and stick in the coaching ranks. I just think the “I’m mad and smashed my remote so why isn’t the coach giving them a biblical spray on field” approach is pathetic and embarrassingly smooth brained. Doesn’t mean that some tough love and discipline isn’t needed from time to time, just that it’s a crutch used by angry old dudes who think footy’s gone soft and typically don’t have a clue.

Look at the Hawks this year - got the “bring the mouthguard” treatment, responded well, but since then it’s been a huge love in. Not because they’re terrified of their coach, or cause they got yelled at, but because even other psycho coaches like Hardwick (who used to encourage his multi flag team to physically write “warm fuzzies” to eachother, like on ****ing paper in their training facility) knows that you catch way more flies with honey. Time and place for the coaching meltdown, not default setting because I’m mad so I wished the coach smashed a phone every week to gee them up.

From all reports seems Schoey gave the boys a decent spray at half time, maybe he'll learn if given the opportunity that sometimes it'd be more efficient to go the stick right out the gate.

So far at Mitchell, I'm glad he played his role in 2018 but to be honest I'm hoping that you are right about their stock crashing next year. He did us pretty dirty after we rolled the red carpet out for him. I'm pretty sure that after he forced Matt Priddis into one of the saddest retirements of all time the backlash from the players is half the reason Simmo went all sentimental with the whole "credits crew 4eva" stuff in recent years. Really hoping we live to spoil many a Sam Mitchell parade in our next up cycle.

Last edited:
But seriously, what's wrong with Sumich? Was a champion player for your club, and has some emotional investment in the club. I doubt he would stand for what's happening today like that Port Power guy.
He's a shouty, bully, 1970's type of coach. And about as bright as a deflated football.

Great FF. Let's leave it at that.

I was in favour of Schofield.
But I’m more swinging to an entirely new team.
Montgomery is probably the one I’m most keen on.
Field Marshal, Montgomery (Monty or
The Spartan General)
Led the Aussie troops like a legend.
We need a legend to lead us through, like this man did, many years ago.
IMG_0401.jpeg

I was in favour of Schofield.
But I’m more swinging to an entirely new team.
Montgomery is probably the one I’m most keen on.
Field Marshal, Montgomery (Monty or
The Spartan General)
Led the Aussie troops like a legend.
We need a legend to lead us through, like this man did, many years ago.
View attachment 2090436

Lol this montgomery would soon have every player want to leave the club including Reid.

But sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back