Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

When is Tim Gepp being moved on? Does anyone know why he is still hanging around now that his handler Nissy has been retired. Also Stocks, clean out needs to be completed.

When is the coach being announced ??

Why is taking so long ??

Hurry up ffs
Because other clubs are preparing for finals so their assistants are likely slightly preoccupied?

Our season finished a week ago. Other clubs’ seasons are still going. Patience.

Because other clubs are preparing for finals so their assistants are likely slightly preoccupied?

Our season finished a week ago. Other clubs’ seasons are still going. Patience.
yeah I know but its bloody frustrating

fingers crossed when the cats get knocked out in straight sets ..Scott signs a 5 year deal straight away

thats who I would be targeting

When is the coach being announced ??

Why is taking so long ??

Hurry up ffs

Yeo was interviewed on ABC this morning (he won the Christian medal). Is a genuinely great interview fwiw highly recommend having a listen if you can find it

Anyway he was asked about why so many seem to pulling out of the coaching race and he pretty blatantly said just wait until the seasons actually over for the teams still going. Whether he knows anything more than us regular punters who knows, but it definitely sounds like he does

Yeo was interviewed on ABC this morning (he won the Christian medal). Is a genuinely great interview fwiw highly recommend having a listen if you can find it

Anyway he was asked about why so many seem to pulling out of the coaching race and he pretty blatantly said just wait until the seasons actually over for the teams still going. Whether he knows anything more than us regular punters who knows, but it definitely sounds like he does

I think that’s the thing. It’s been 6 weeks and would be great if we have a coach announcement done but it seems a few people we are interested in still are with teams playing so as long as it’s sorted by trade period it’s all good..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wasn't it Rawlings that was responsible for drafting Brander and not Oscar with our first pick and in doing so we missed out on Kelly. ? This then led to the horrible decision to trade early draft picks to get him back from Geelong.
Simmo should cop the blame for Rawlings appointment.

I always thought ROB was the one who made the final decision on Branders selection. My memory is that the WA based team wanted Oscar but ROB being based in Vic made the final call, could be wrong though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why? He has major responsibility for our plight. Why are we just letting it go? We don’t owe Adam anything

This a thread about choosing Simpson’s successor not an analysis of Simpson’s coaching - that was done to death in the lead up to his sacking

He’s gone, we’re finding someone new

Move on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have sceretly wondered whether this was a long term plan for the club - first female coach of a men's team. Tough gig but Daisy could do it if anyone could.
F me, I'd rather have Kern than this. Nothing against her as a person, but she has next to no experience at AFL level.

If we're going with a first time coach, they need to have done a long apprenticeship. Preferably assistant then senior assistant at a couple of clubs and hopefully coached their own team for a while (at 2nds level).

I'm also not a fan of appointing a coach that hasn't played AFL. Hard to be taken seriously if you haven't walked the talk.

7? Magnificent.
Screenshot 2024-09-02 010726.png

Have to admit I was hoping for a few more inspiring candidates. Going back to Woosha would certainly be a choice, and I think Watters and McKenna have had their shot. No one has given Suma a go yet though! Could Waterman coach his son (has it been done before?)?

Paul Peos or Chris Lewis is my pick.

No one should have to pay to read the West or anything Coc*smack writes:

West Coast Eagles CEO Don Pyke reveals club has ‘several’ high-quality candidates in coach race​

West Coast chief executive Don Pyke says the club has identified “several” high-quality candidates to be the next coach, despite a number of frontrunners publicly declaring they are not interested in the top job.

And while he says the man to replace Adam Simpson will be crucial in the next phase of the club’s history, Pyke said it was important they put the right support around them to ensure they have the best chance to succeed.

The Eagles are on the hunt for a replacement for Simpson after they parted ways with the 2018 premiership coach in July after more than a decade.

West Coast champion Dean Cox was viewed as the strong favourite but quickly ruled himself out of the race, instead deciding to stay on Sydney where he is the senior assistant.

Cox was joined by the likes of Josh Carr, Jaymie Graham, Ash Hansen, Daniel Giansiracusa and Josh Carr all deciding to not be part of the process.

Despite the list of public withdrawals, Pyke said he was confident the Eagles would still find a quality coach through their process.

66e68994ccd873fc7a95ea97742d10d2c4d0d536.jpg
Dean Cox was a frontrunner before he declared he was not interest in the Eagles job.

“I know there’s been a lot made of those who for one reason or another (have withdrawn), and the reality some of those reasons are family reasons for people or just personal reasons as to why it doesn’t suit them at this very minute to be a part of it,” Pyke told The West Australian.

“We’ve identified a number of high-quality candidates and are quite excited to see what the process will unveil. And find the right guy to take us forward.”

West Coast chief executive Don Pyke.: “We’ve identified a number of high-quality candidates.”

Pyke said ensuring they had a strong network around the next coach was just as important as who they contracted to lead the team.

“The senior coach is the face of the club, he sets the direction of the club from a football viewpoint, so it’s an important decision,” he said.

“It’s also really important that we support whoever that person is in the role to ensure that they’ve got the best chance of having success and that includes all the people around the senior coach.

“I know having done the job there’s a lot to it, but you need a lot of support at all levels and it’s important that we set that person up as best we can with the right people around to drive the programs forward.

21250b837e5a3fd6ebee0eed7710ee9026b606ea.jpg
Interim coach Jarrad Schofield with Don Pyke.

“It can’t just be one guy, the successful teams playing in the finals there’s a senior coach who does a lot of the heavy lifting but the support he has whether that be from high-performance, from medical, from mental skills stuff or coaching and assistant coaching, development coaching – they’re all important pieces. We’re mindful of that as we bring someone new on board.”

After five wins in the past two seasons and a second wooden spoon in the club’s history the Eagles claimed five victories in 2024 to finish 16th.

Pyke said while they had taken steps forward, they were not pleased with their season overall and identified the inconsistency week to week as a focal point.

“We’ve shown in some games this year a high level of performance, but they haven’t been sustainable,” he said.
“The end of the season probably epitomised that a little bit. We had a couple of strong performances albeit against teams that are outside the eight in Gold Coast and North Melbourne, but there were some positives there, only to finish the season against Carlton and Geelong.

“The gap between our best and worst, we’ve certainly got to narrow that down. There was some improvement, but I wouldn’t sit here saying we’re anyway pleased with the season.

“We’ve got a lot more work to do and obviously there’s some change and some transition within the club and within the football department and that is what the next 10 or 12 weeks is focused on.”

West Coast have been linked to several players already this year including Richmond vice-captain Liam Baker and his Tigers teammate and free agent Jack Graham.
8f4c75d4a6e668e66f36f00c92554d0929d7c533.jpg
Richmond star Liam Baker.

They are also looking to continue to bring in high-end young talent through the draft after recruiting No.1 draftee Harley Reid as well as Reuben Ginbey and Elijah Hewett in the past two years.

Pyke said the challenge was to find the balance during their list build of brining in experience as well as draftees.
“Historically if you look across successful teams, they’ve got enough first round, top 20 picks on the list that mean you’ve got the talent base to work from,” he said.

“We’ve got pick No.3 this year and then No.23 as it currently stands. How do we position ourselves to bring in that talent but also, we do have a gap on our list in the 22- to 27-year-olds. If opportunities come up that we can add to it, then we look to do that as well without giving away our draft capital.

“It’s a balancing act. We’re pretty clear in terms of the strategy we’ve got but it’s like anything now it’s all about execution and we’ve got to in the next period of time set ourselves up both through the trade period and into the draft period to be able to make sure the list continues to evolve.”

57b84e249b233d3497f2c6ddced5df3df7443443.jpg
West Coast have hit the draft in recent years.

Pyke said the Eagles also had to create an environment where the current young talent they have on their list can take a step forward.

“The key is that we see the list getting better year on year and we saw it with guys (Harvey) Johnston who came in at the end of the year, (Ryan) Maric continued to show that there’s something there,” he said.

“Jack Williams and Harry Edwards came in and played some strong footy. It’s a combination of the work needed to play consistently strong AFL footy.

“Guys like Reuben and (Brady) Hough would be sitting there going ‘I can play AFL footy, I know I’m good enough at AFL footy’. Those guys are ready for the next step now we have got to create the environment where these guys can actually take the next step and come forward.

“But mindful also we need to continue to add talent to that list and that’s been our focus since pretty much early in the season. We’re talking about making sure that we have enough draft capital to bring in some talent and some high-end picks but also if there’s some free agents or some other players available that we’re actively pursuing them and just make sure we’ve got the balance right.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back