• Lade

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Hinkley

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 29 29.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Skipworth's credentials are decidedly middling. Played barely more than 50 games and never won a premiership. Spent time as a midfield coach at Essendon, who were pretty mediocre, and then spent 4-5 years at Collingwood. Not sure why he's so highly rated.

McQualter has a similarly medicore playing career. But at least served a number of years under Hardwick at Richmond, including during their 3 premierships.
Their playing career isn't really relevant.

I think you'll find that those who really had to work hard for their opportunities generally make the best teachers/coaches over those who are more naturally gifted, because they understand struggle whilst geniuses don't.

Which one ?
What the hell? There’s no way this does anything to King’s chances unless of course a long term / serious health issue results. Madness that we couldn’t still hire him if a one off event that is now controllable with medical care
definitely choose Schofield!...

And... It should do harm to King's chances... No disrespect to him but we travel every second week... And a coach needs to mentally and physically fit to keep up with the demands of the gig.

We aren't a woke charity case to be dishing out head coaching gigs to anybody but the most qualified... And I'm pretty sure stress and mental acument comes under that....

Seems strange to make that announcement if King won't be offered the role. For King though, he's already so stressed and he hasn't even started the role?

Nah, I think it is just being a caring footy club plus not wanting to comment to the media (rightfully, as King’s health is a private matter).

The cause will have some bearing of course. Stress/etc probably doesn’t help his cause, but could easily be a virus, or new medication, sleep deprivation…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And Jeffrey Toobin... never mind...
definitely choose Schofield!...

And... It should do harm to King's chances... No disrespect to him but we travel every second week... And a coach needs to mentally and physically fit to keep up with the demands of the gig.

We aren't a woke charity case to be dishing out head coaching gigs to anybody but the most qualified... And I'm pretty sure stress and mental acument comes under that....
Except you have absolutely no idea what caused it, if it's problematic long term or a one off. But somehow have managed to invoke being a woke charity if we give him the coaching gig...

Their playing career isn't really relevant.

I think you'll find that those who really had to work hard for their opportunities generally make the best teachers/coaches over those who are more naturally gifted, because they understand struggle whilst geniuses don't.
This is a fair point, generally supported by history. Of course there will always be exceptions.

What the hell? There’s no way this does anything to King’s chances unless of course a long term / serious health issue results. Madness that we couldn’t still hire him if a one off event that is now controllable with medical care

After Rhyce Shaw's coaching career was ended due to health, and question marks over whether North did their due diligence before hiring him, I think it's perfectly valid to question whether his health is a factor.

Exactly

The audio was from yesterday afternoon- the same day Skipworth flew into Perth so there’s no way information about how well he went leaked that quick. Entirely possible he hadn’t even done the interview when that went to air

There’s three candidates so the new coach will be one of that three obviously but nobody outside the selection panel would know who’s leading the race. They might not even know themselves

The key words are AFL media.

This is someone who wasn’t even good enough to get a job in a real media organisation.

Agree with Tim Gossage. Those three aren't a step up from Simmo or Jarrod or Kern. Those three all have some sort of black mark on their CV

I wish Jarrod wasn't our assistance he would be the front runner by a large gap.

Seems strange to make that announcement if King won't be offered the role. For King though, he's already so stressed and he hasn't even started the role?

It’s strange to publicly wish a bloke well?

And we’ve decided it’s an stress-related collapse, have we?

If King was the one that was going to be chosen.... Then there's no way he can be now... Optics would be weird and players will be questioning him....

Then the question is if you give it to one of the backup choices.... Or Schofield?...

I know which one id choose...
Depends on what the issue was. You've gone too early. If it is serious I suspect he will take himself out of it and force our hand anyway.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it amusing that so many on here, cast comments as to the suitability and merit of the candidates, with out having listened to the respective candidates pitch to the Club.

In the past I can remember several times previous when there seemed to be an obvious appointee and front runner, for there then to be a supposed outsider, clinching the Head Coach position on the back of a presentation that blew the interviewing Club away.

Such as when:

Simpson did just that when Sumich was seen as the frontrunner.

Ross Lyon pitched to St Kilda when Horse was seen as the front runner.

Clarkson did the same when he pitched to Hawthorn and beat out several more highly fancied applicants.

As I have said previously, we just need to trust the process.

After Rhyce Shaw's coaching career was ended due to health, and question marks over whether North did their due diligence before hiring him, I think it's perfectly valid to question whether his health is a factor.
There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of a poorly run club that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Shaw was crazy and could be stood aside. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to coach more games. Shaw would be crazy to coach more games and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to coach them. If he coached them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.

This coach recruitment phase has taken a few twists and turns along the way; with favourite sons not interested in the gig; no former coaches interested (or being approached); the interim coach seemingly out of the race (?); three relatively lesser known candidates being selected; one of whom suffers a dramatic health episode upon return from his interview.

Not feeling very optimistic at this stage - maybe whoever is selected will be a blessing in disguise? One can only hope...or trust the process?

Depends on what the issue was. You've gone too early. If it is serious I suspect he will take himself out of it and force our hand anyway.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Doesn't really matter what the issue was... of that I have no interest

But if a head coach candidate is falling over at a training session... What would our players think... Forget supporters like myself

Doesn't really matter what the issue was... of that I have no interest

But if a head coach candidate is falling over at a training session... What would our players think... Forget supporters like myself

They’d probably be concerned for his welfare??

Why is he less of a man because he’s had a health issue? I really don’t understand this logic.

I find it amusing that so many on here, cast comments as to the suitability and merit of the candidates, with out having listened to the respective candidates pitch to the Club.

In the past I can remember several times previous when there seemed to be an obvious appointee and front runner, for there then to be a supposed outsider, clinching the Head Coach position on the back of a presentation that blew the interviewing Club away.

Such as when:

Simpson did just that when Sumich was seen as the frontrunner.

Ross Lyon pitched to St Kilda when Horse was seen as the front runner.

Clarkson did the same when he pitched to Hawthorn and beat out several more highly fancied applicants.

As I have said previously, we just need to trust the process.

Not only that, for Collingwood coaching job, McRae and Kingsley were up there in the race. Clearly either would have been good choices so there may more than one right answer.

Sumich would not have lasted 2 years. Thank god for that process to weed him out.

They’d probably be concerned for his welfare??

Why is he less of a man because he’s had a health issue? I really don’t understand this logic.
Yep I'm concerned with his welfare too

... And also worried that he may not be up to the job.

It's human nature and i daresay a proportion of the players will be thinking that

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Back