News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

On the Tigers board, there seems to be some belief that Hardwick is getting ambassadorial money from the AFL to substitute his wage. Has anyone heard that, I haven’t, I thought it had been ruled out.

They also seem to believe we are paying him 900,000 a year and the AFL another 200,000, I thought reports said that Dimma was very reasonable in his negotiations not looking to break our bank so could afford supporting coaches. Again has anyone heard anything about this?

On the Tigers board, there seems to be some belief that Hardwick is getting ambassadorial money from the AFL to substitute his wage. Has anyone heard that, I haven’t, I thought it had been ruled out.

They also seem to believe we are paying him 900,000 a year and the AFL another 200,000, I thought reports said that Dimma was very reasonable in his negotiations not looking to break our bank so could afford supporting coaches. Again has anyone heard anything about this?
Seen it written in various places he would be eligible for ambassadorial money, which comes from promoting the game in Qld. I think most are just guessing though.

I have heard in the past few weeks, can't recall where - was from some pretty official source, that AFL is not able to provide 'ambassadorial' money for any coaching staff. But there is nothing against Hardwick being paid ambassadorial money by AFL Queensland or another organisation to help promote the game locally.

Anyone who has signed/re-signed with us has only ever done so because of ‘ambassador money’ according to those down south.

The AFL must be paying about $4 million a year in ambassador costs with the number of players/coaches they are definitely paying extra to.

Anyone who has signed/re-signed with us has only ever done so because of ‘ambassador money’ according to those down south.

The AFL must be paying about $4 million a year in ambassador costs with the number of players/coaches they are definitely paying extra to.
Oh well, even's up all the extra's available to players at other clubs.

Congrats on the signing. Massive for GC and the state. I really hope the club sees some success. I think the stadium could sell out within a few years with consistently big crowds from as soon as next year.
Really hoping the club does a doco this year heading towards the clubs first finals appearance. Plenty of stories to tell. Dew sacked, the trip to Italy, dimma, young leaders, filling stands, community more engaged, first Qclash of 24, finals.
Someone needs to get Amazon onboard.
If nothing else, atleast some pre season footage of dimma and his speeches to the playing group. That will get people on GC more invested

we must play our 11 home games at Carrarra. Having no footy on the Gold Coast for 30-50 days like last couple years is detrimental to growth here. Imagine a Melbourne team not playing in Melbourne for that many days in middle of season. Crazy.

we must play our 11 home games at Carrarra. Having no footy on the Gold Coast for 30-50 days like last couple years is detrimental to growth here. Imagine a Melbourne team not playing in Melbourne for that many days in middle of season. Crazy.
I still think the Darwin connection is important.
Even if it was one home game and one away game back to back in Darwin.
So the gap between home games at HBS is shorter. I believe it’s a must to keep that Darwin connection.

I still think the Darwin connection is important.
Even if it was one home game and one away game back to back in Darwin.
So the gap between home games at HBS is shorter. I believe it’s a must to keep that Darwin connection.
yeh, there must be a better way in scheduling it. would be good if a melb team like saints had a home game there, we split the money with them, and their melb members getr a replacement away game with memership priviledges

I bitched to Evans about this, the club wants to play 2 games in a row at Darwin, but won’t cinsdier it again if it means that much time away from HBS again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maybe we should start the season away (say melbourne), then a Qclash at gabba in round 2, then away again (syd/per/melb).
and also have the last game of year away.
that way we can have a block of home games in a row, meaning, carrara, two weeks in darwin, and then carrara again.
but i think they want the bye after darwin, so best option will be 2 weeks darwin and then week off - so thats 3 weekends no footy locally...

do we have to do 2 games up there? how long is that signed up for?

maybe we should start the season away (say melbourne), then a Qclash at gabba in round 2, then away again (syd/per/melb).
and also have the last game of year away.
that way we can have a block of home games in a row, meaning, carrara, two weeks in darwin, and then carrara again.
but i think they want the bye after darwin, so best option will be 2 weeks darwin and then week off - so thats 3 weekends no footy locally...

do we have to do 2 games up there? how long is that signed up for?
Contract expired. So you want to start with 2 losses?😀

Last edited:
We must play our 11 home games at Carrara. Having no footy on the Gold Coast for 30-50 days like last couple years is detrimental to growth here. Imagine a Melbourne team not playing in Melbourne for that many days in middle of season. Crazy.
Not sure what our current deal with the NT government looks like but I'd like to think we would at least get 10 home games at Carrara next year. The 7 weeks between Carrara home games against the Dees and Hawks this year was completely unacceptable from a member point of view and should never happen again. I remember walking out of the stadium after the Melbourne game hearing all these locals talk about how excited they were by what they saw from us that night and that they were looking forward to attending the next home game. I'd imagine most of them didn't know they'd have to wait 7 weeks to see the team play on the GC again and I really do think it killed a lot of momentum we were building then. Don't get me wrong, I like the Darwin connection and I'd like to continue it if we can but not at the expense of growing the game on the Gold Coast - that's our number 1 priority after all. One game in Darwin next year and three weeks between games at Carrara will do just fine.

Not sure what our current deal with the NT government looks like but I'd like to think we would at least get 10 home games at Carrara next year. The 7 weeks between Carrara home games against the Dees and Hawks this year was completely unacceptable from a member point of view and should never happen again. I remember walking out of the stadium after the Melbourne game hearing all these locals talk about how excited they were by what they saw from us that night and that they were looking forward to attending the next home game. I'd imagine most of them didn't know they'd have to wait 7 weeks to see the team play on the GC again and I really do think it killed a lot of momentum we were building then. Don't get me wrong, I like the Darwin connection and I'd like to continue it if we can but not at the expense of growing the game on the Gold Coast - that's our number 1 priority after all. One game in Darwin next year and three weeks between games at Carrara will do just fine.

As many members need to let the club know their views on this as possible

I have heard in the past few weeks, can't recall where - was from some pretty official source, that AFL is not able to provide 'ambassadorial' money for any coaching staff. But there is nothing against Hardwick being paid ambassadorial money by AFL Queensland or another organisation to help promote the game locally.
Phones going crazy apparently with players managers enquiring about a move.
Couple of high profile Richmond players very interested. So l'm told.
Anyone for meatballs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back