Cocktail party reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I couldn't make it either. Looking forward to hearing some of the coach baiting I'm sure all the disgruntled fans on here would have surely got up to last night.

windsock said:
Yeah I couldn't make it either. Looking forward to hearing some of the coach baiting I'm sure all the disgruntled fans on here would have surely got up to last night.

Maybe it was a great night and nobody is home yet.

Noticed a few jeers when Laidley got up to speak. He only spoke for about 5 minutes, said nothing worthwhile at all, very poor.

Laidley spent most of the night in a corner on his own, didn't mingle with the crowd and the players kept well clear of him, he didn't want to be there at all, I kept thinking to myself that he's not going to be around for much longer.

Mike McClean was the host, didn't do anything wrong, but also very little personality.

PortPhillip said:
Laidley spent most of the night in a corner on his own, didn't mingle with the crowd and the players kept well clear of him, he didn't want to be there at all, I kept thinking to myself that he's not going to be around for much longer.

yeah well i am sure that will fuel some more rumours :rolleyes:

would you want to turn up when your 2-6....i know i wouldnt, so i dont blame him.

Conspiracy theories abound. Those who went last year would also know Dean behaved exactly the same way. So suffice to say you're looking in the wrong places for cover-ups and innuendo. Try the X-Files, much more exciting :)

KangaFett said:
yeah well i am sure that will fuel some more rumours :rolleyes:

would you want to turn up when your 2-6....i know i wouldnt, so i dont blame him.

Would be a tough gig for any coach in that position, especially Laids who doesn't seem to enjoy much of the public duties he has to do as coach. Basically the guy is very shy and clearly uneasy around groups of strangers. That is a character trait he has and can sometimes be misconstrued for arrogance.

Get him in the right environment and he is good company.

PortPhillip said:

If you were a player or a coach why would you want to go.

It was a good night! (struggled getting up for work this morning)

The most I've seen players interact with supporters.

Impressed overall, everyone seemed upbeat and a few good chickadees always makes the night worth while :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A colleague of mine was there & I asked him how the night was & he said he would've rathered crucify himself on an upside down crucifix. Sounds like I didn't miss much. And Shane on Survivor was in great form anyway - I wouldn't mind Shane taking over as caretaker coach for the remainder of the season. At least he'd keep the media & players on their toes. Thoughts?

Sco said:
It was a good night! (struggled getting up for work this morning)

The most I've seen players interact with supporters.

Impressed overall, everyone seemed upbeat and a few good chickadees always makes the night worth while :D

Well, I must have been at the wrong function. It was very poor and I think the last one they will have. How much potato did they want to serve? Laidley spoke for about 3 minutes and the rest of the night stood alone closest to the door. He could not wait to get outta there..

Unfortunately, I did not hear anything he said since I spent 20 minutes lining up to get a beer and the speakers were pointed in the wrong direction

The chicks were down in terms of quality and I looked all night for Simmo, Arch and Boomer.. Could not see them.

The highlight was hearing Schwatta have a chat and the footage of his career they showed to U2's "Unforgettable Fire".. Tingles up the spine for that.

The function officially finished at 9pm but I was out of the door by 8:45pm.. Had enough...

Simmo and Arch were at the Player Sponsor function earlier, not sure why they weren't upstairs (I didn't go to that).

Boomer's partner is about to drop her 2nd baby, that's why he wasn't there.

Harris 10 said:
If you were a player or a coach why would you want to go.

No. Not many of the players or Dean want to be there, You could see in there body reaction. They were thinking look at all theses nuffs nuffs here who I really dont give a crap about. :eek:

Well you can let our precious players and coach know that those "Nuff Nuffs" are the ones keeping the club afloat by turning up to these events while our players and coach are getting paid a fortune to do what we saw on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments like that make me very very angry nuff nuffs hey. I suppose the people who give up there time to volunteer for the club are losers as well if i heard a player refer to a supporter like this after Saturday I would feel compelled to wrap a chair round his head.

I got the feeling there was a dull mood, i wasn't going until I got my ticket in the mail LAST NIGHT, was 5.30 and thought bugger it, might as well.

Got a few snaps with Thommo and Sav, a bloke and his missus were very kind to take a photo of me and Sav after they did, with the same camera as mine, so if you're out there, thankyou very much! :thumbsu: :)

Auctions were pretty boring, Dish and Hale were very polite which was good.

Just at the enterance before i was going, for some reason i thought i might snag a scribble off Dean, but he ignored me for a good minute or two,gave up and walked over to Simmo who was nearby chattin to Schwatta and Arch and he passed my sigs around, got it back off Arch (who seemed down for most of the night) passed it back with smile. :D

Could have been better, but done worse on Tues nights.

Artichoke said:
Well, I must have been at the wrong function. It was very poor and I think the last one they will have. How much potato did they want to serve? Laidley spoke for about 3 minutes and the rest of the night stood alone closest to the door. He could not wait to get outta there..

Unfortunately, I did not hear anything he said since I spent 20 minutes lining up to get a beer and the speakers were pointed in the wrong direction

The chicks were down in terms of quality and I looked all night for Simmo, Arch and Boomer.. Could not see them.

The highlight was hearing Schwatta have a chat and the footage of his career they showed to U2's "Unforgettable Fire".. Tingles up the spine for that.

The function officially finished at 9pm but I was out of the door by 8:45pm.. Had enough...
Now that is a fair summary of the night. I'd like to also add that the dress code has slipped big time.

I reckon that its time for the cocktail party to end up in the tip. I'd rather that the club keep my money and spend it on keeping the club afloat. I'm not sure that the cocktail party turns over a profit now but I do know that in previous years it hasnt.

I wonder if other North supporters wouldnt be too upset if the cocktail party became a thing of the past.

Is it time to say goodbye to the cocktail party?

Zondor said:
Now that is a fair summary of the night. I'd like to also add that the dress code has slipped big time.

I reckon that its time for the cocktail party to end up in the tip. I'd rather that the club keep my money and spend it on keeping the club afloat. I'm not sure that the cocktail party turns over a profit now but I do know that in previous years it hasnt.

I wonder if other North supporters wouldnt be too upset if the cocktail party became a thing of the past.

Is it time to say goodbye to the cocktail party?
Well by the fact I have never, and would never go, my answer would be a definitive yes.And I agree with rb214, if that was going to be the attitude of the players/coach/officials etc, I would have got on the mike at about 7:30pm and said thanks for a night worthy of recent performances, we're leaving....

Remove this Banner Ad

Cocktail party reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back