Colin Sylvia - best individual performance of the decade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Grandmaster_B

Club Legend
Suspended
May 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sylvias game in the weekend was a sight to behold. He almost single handedly willed the Demons to a monumental come from behind victory in the best display from a player that I can remember, at least for this decade.

His first half was glorious, but it was his scinitillating third quarter that made the footy world sit up and take notice. Ands he went on with it in the last, continually setting up playing with his glorious disposal and gut running.

37 damaging possessions, 4 goals. He would have kicked 6 or 7 if not for Russell Robertson screwing him over.

The result of Sylvias brilliance was that the Hawks, who thougt they had the game won, resorted to chipping the ball around for the last 8 minutes of the game in what can only be described as a gutless dfisplay. It drew boos from fans of both sides, and signalled for sure that the Hawks 2008 flag should have an asterisk next to it. Luck, and nothing else. I doubt the make the 8 this year.

Only one other player in the AFL is capable of having the sort of game that Sylvia had on the weekend, and that is Ablett Jnr. But even then, he will have too many handballs and wont be as damaging.

Make no mistake, Colin 'The Kid' Sylvia has arrived.

And the game of Aussie rules will be better for it.

Champion Data ranking points I'd say are the best measure of a players impact. He managed to just beat Gary Abletts year average without a heavy tag so I wouldn't quite call it the best game ever but who am I to deprive you of a rare highlight.

Oh and a less than impressive Effective % of 73, 4 clangers and only 8 contested possesions (rioli had 9, 6 hawthorn players had 7) in the stats that matter column in case you were wondering.

No doubt it was his best game for the club but lets not get ahead of ourselves,one BOG does'nt make a career,he has set a standard now he must reach it week in week out,if he can achieve this year on end then we can sing his praises,but not quite yet!

Sylvias game in the weekend was a sight to behold. He almost single handedly willed the Demons to a monumental come from behind victory in the best display from a player that I can remember, at least for this decade.

His first half was glorious, but it was his scinitillating third quarter that made the footy world sit up and take notice. Ands he went on with it in the last, continually setting up playing with his glorious disposal and gut running.

37 damaging possessions, 4 goals. He would have kicked 6 or 7 if not for Russell Robertson screwing him over.

The result of Sylvias brilliance was that the Hawks, who thougt they had the game won, resorted to chipping the ball around for the last 8 minutes of the game in what can only be described as a gutless dfisplay. It drew boos from fans of both sides, and signalled for sure that the Hawks 2008 flag should have an asterisk next to it. Luck, and nothing else. I doubt the make the 8 this year.

Only one other player in the AFL is capable of having the sort of game that Sylvia had on the weekend, and that is Ablett Jnr. But even then, he will have too many handballs and wont be as damaging.

Make no mistake, Colin 'The Kid' Sylvia has arrived.

And the game of Aussie rules will be better for it.

Are you his best mate?

I don't blame you for getting excited about Sylvia. After all, he was drafted with pick 3 in 2003 behind Adam Cooney. People thought the Coondog took a long time to knuckle down. But at least he finally came good and delivered. Even won a Brownlow.

Prior to this season, the only thing Sylvia has achieved is bad publicity... for being drunk as a skunk at the Spearmint Rhino (too drunk to accompany Didak and Wayne Hudson on their wild drive) and beating up his girlfriend on Chapel St. Oh, and he managed to break the ribs of a teammate when tried to be a hero and take the Mark Of The Day.

So well done to Colin Sylvia for finally pulling his finger out of his arse and repaying Melbourne's faith.
The result of Sylvia's brilliance was that...
The result of Sylvia's brilliance was four points to Hawthorn.
If Sylvia sticks at it, then maybe one day he can help Melbourne to victory
..the Hawks, who thougt they had the game won...
They did have the game won.
..resorted to chipping the ball around for the last 8 minutes of the game in what can only be described as a gutless display.
Gutless? While Hawthorn chipped the ball around for the last 8 minutes, Melbourne had three extra players standing back in defence with their thumbs up their arses.

Flooding your defence while trailing by 5 goals with only 10 minutes to play... :rolleyes:

What could be more gutless than that?

Melbourne supporters are such muppets.
I love going to Melbourne games and checking out those clueless twits in the stands.

GO DEEEEEEEEEEEES! :D:thumbsu:

..It drew boos from fans
The very same people who were booing Beau Muston for whacking Colin Sylvia behind the earhole and screaming for him to be reported.

No case to answer. :)

Well done to young Beau on collecting 31 possessions and giving Sylvia a clip in his first game.

The game of Aussie rules was all the better for it.

I'd almost go further and label it the greatest individual AFL, hell, even sporting performance of all time really.

Certainly surpassing past displays of brilliance by not only the likes of Carey, Ablett, Brereton etc but also Bradman, Ali, Jordan, Michael Phelps, Makybe Diva, Maradona etc

Wouldn't be getting a game at a non-loser club.

Good to see him getting a few kicks on the field for a change. Hopefully too tired to wale on his missus after the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David Honybun is my uncle I kid you not. But we arent blood related.

I remember when Denis Cometti first starting commentating for Channel 7.

He said, "Tony Free... kicks the ball to David Honybun... he'd have to be a good footballer with a name like that... has a shot at goal... and just misses to the near side..."

Mil Hanna

Steven and Matthew Febey (Phoebe)

And Paul Licuria AKA Licca

Nice one Chew.

As you can tell I did minimal thinking before making my comment.

Milham Hanna was probably never considered as I always called him cueball.

hodge with 34 touches and kicking 6 goals 2 verses the doggies in round 21 2007 would go close, but the fact hawthorn won means it would never compare to the efforts of a guy who had such an influence in a losing game

hodge with 34 touches and kicking 6 goals 2 verses the doggies in round 21 2007 would go close, but the fact hawthorn won means it would never compare to the efforts of a guy who had such an influence in a losing game

Well, fatty Hodge is a frontrunner.

He just went along for that ride, similar to Grand Final day.

Sylvia almost won the game for his team after they were down 55 points.

Enough said.

Nice one Chew.

As you can tell I did minimal thinking before making my comment.
Here's some more AFL players with girl's names:

Brett Allison

Dean Bailey

Phi Carman

Leon Daphne (former Tiger President)

Craig Kimberly (former Swans President)

Shane Ellen

Paul Kelly

Martin Leslie

Austin Lucy

Jack Regan, the Prince Of Full Backs

Bobby Rose

Brian Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

Colin Sylvia - best individual performance of the decade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back