Club Focus Collingwood 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Arent you Collingwood? You're a big club, throw your weight around. Bring in some gun players. Make some positive moves instead of shying away from making tough calls.
Collingwood are one of 18 clubs, and 10 in their state. With the same salary cap and draft allocation as every other club. Do you think we’re Real Madrid or something?

Collingwood are one of 18 clubs, and 10 in their state. With the same salary cap and draft allocation as every other club. Do you think we’re Real Madrid or something?
Im pretty sure everyone in this thread thinks the trade perios will go like

"Look we really want Bailey Smith, he fits our team perfectly. We have pick 28 and"
"We aint taking pick 28"
"But we are a big club... We know people who you need to know. Look, lets top it up. Pick 28 and Scott Pendlebury. About time we got rid of that old jackass"

Yeah very good point. Forgot about Treloar and co

With De Goey though I mean who would they get thats better, especially as a forward. Better off just playing him forward...

I dont really get why anyone thinks the forward line is a issue. It isnt. What they need is a lockdown tall defender and a in and under midfielder. Not even sure they need to be good, just good enough to hold a spot so others can be more impactful.

They need a refresh. De Goey at 28 would still get them a decent pick.

Melbourne maybe?

North if they lose Zuurhar?

Pies need an injection of quality youth.

They need a refresh. De Goey at 28 would still get them a decent pick.

Melbourne maybe?

North if they lose Zuurhar?

Pies need an injection of quality youth.
They're cooked.

Luckily for them they won a flag last year because the next decade is going to be very bleak.

They need to push for 1 more flag to be honest. List profile is still of that mould.

They do, but it's Russian Roulette at this point in the same way the Eagles did with Kelly.

There's no massive FA that suits them this year. They will overpay for someone like Zurhaar possibly, because it's the only way to move forward.

They should be so thankful that Daicos' F/S situation bailed them out 3 years ago, otherwise they'd be looking down the barell of having burnt Pick #2 and Pick #5* on two future trades inside of 4 drafts.

They'd be absolute ****ed if not for that. They still might be.

There's been very very few top end FA midfielders to leave since it's inception.

There's been more talls, than genuine A grade mids.

I'd argue with De Goey closing in on 30, midfielders is what Collingwood lack and Daicos is going to need 2 x bull inside mids for most of his career with his game style.

Crisp and De Goey had top 10 in the comp type seasons in 2022 and 2023.

They need to replace that.

Last edited:
The other torpedo is clearly Tassie.

It's either cut now or hit FA hard somehow to have another tilt.

Get either wrong and it may be the mid 2030's before having a legitimate tilt again.

As I think the early Tassie period is going to be contended by Sydney, Freo, GC, Haw, North imo.

They couldn't have picked a worse draft either to give up Pick 6.

That might be Langford or Smith, both would have been exactly what they need to build around Daicos longterm. Langford particularly is the perfect Pendlebury replacement and someone that would have complimented Daicos.

Last edited:
They need to hit the next trade period looking for cheap AFL ready players. They tried to do it with Bytel/Long who have provided nothing

If im Collingwood this off season im wanting a deep cut. Maybe 7 to go. Lost 2 to retirement but then id say buy to Eyre, Bytel, Long, Steene and Begg

Im then probably doing something crazy and aiming for 4 experienced bodies. They have no trade assets to will need to pick these up as well freebies. Id be going after

Will Brodie
Adam Tomlinson
Nick Haynes
Nick Bryan

Haynes lets Howe stay full tine up forward. Brodie gives them grunt when Mitchell is out and lets De Goey and Daicos move to a less contested game style. Nick Bryan allows them to move on from Cox and get a ruck who can let Cameron spend more time up forward. They need a ruck who is good around the ground and not just a hitout guy. I think even Tim English is worth a shout too if they have salary cap room avalabl. Tomlinson just feels like best free option. Not sure he suits 100% but the price is right. Can probably get all of that by moving from pick pick 44 to pick 60 or the like. Next year can go in with

FB: Quaynor, Moore, Maynard
HB: Daicos, Tomlinson, Haynes
C: Daicos, Mitchell, Crisp
HF: Schultz, Mihocek, Howe
FF: Hill, McStay, Cameron
R: Bryan, Pendles, De Goey
I/C: Brodie, Elliot, Lipinski, McCreery

Almost feel like Schultz isnt best 22 sadly enough. Probably gets a game cos of cost. Id say Hoskin-Elliot better player for that team
Maybe they can ask Gold coast to swap pick say 10 for 2025r1. Get some youth in the midfield, only sign free agents apart from that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same was said after 2021 Season
Well, this time around there's no NickyD that made up for giving up a top 10 draft pick, so unless you trade someone out this year, your draft hand is looking very bleak.

Then Collingwood will be down the bottom right when Tassie's concessions kick in.

Having said that, most fans would happily take that for a flag win, so ultimately it's been worth it.

Well, this time around there's no NickyD that made up for giving up a top 10 draft pick, so unless you trade someone out this year, your draft hand is looking very bleak.

Then Collingwood will be down the bottom right when Tassie's concessions kick in.

Having said that, most fans would happily take that for a flag win, so ultimately it's been worth it.
Collingwood will be bailed out by another potentially elite father-son next year in Tom McGuane. Hopefully the greatest fraud at our club Derek Hine will be dismissed before then so he doesn't get to cover up his pathetic drafting with another F/S that has been handed to us.

West Coast and Port Adelaide were two clubs screwed over by the GC/GWS draft concessions however that didn't stop them from savvy drafting that saw them deep in finals in the coming years. It's only one club coming in this time too. Clubs shouldn't be scared of the Tassie concessions. It's a small setback.

Collingwood will be bailed out by another potentially elite father-son next year in Tom McGuane. Hopefully the greatest fraud at our club Derek Hine will be dismissed before then so he doesn't get to cover up his pathetic drafting with another F/S that has been handed to us.

West Coast and Port Adelaide were two clubs screwed over by the GC/GWS draft concessions however that didn't stop them from savvy drafting that saw them deep in finals in the coming years. It's only one club coming in this time too. Clubs shouldn't be scared of the Tassie concessions. It's a small setback.

Collingwood may be able to turn it around but they will indeed be reliant on FS/FA, because it's probably unwise for them to invest high draft picks to try to rejuvenate their list, otherwise they'll end up doing a Richmond.

With such an incredibly old side, I'm very surprised they let someone like Ginnivan go last year and then spent way too much to bring in Schulz. I get that there were supposed culture issues but gee, if McRae had his time again...

That might be next year with McGuane Kid

That might be next year with McGuane Kid
If he's going top 5, would it be worth trading your future first into this year? (If you're allowed to)

I know the CFC has been burnt by that in recent times, but it would get you a pick this year, and out from under a potential bid next year.

If he's going top 5, would it be worth trading your future first into this year? (If you're allowed to)

I know the CFC has been burnt by that in recent times, but it would get you a pick this year, and out from under a potential bid next year.
Unless we’re using it a to get a gun from another club then maybe, but if we’re just moving picks into this years draft we’re better off just seeing how next years pick turns out then using it to trade for the points we need.

If we trade next years first now we’ll be trading it’s at its lowest value.

Last edited:
The other torpedo is clearly Tassie.

It's either cut now or hit FA hard somehow to have another tilt.

Get either wrong and it may be the mid 2030's before having a legitimate tilt again.

As I think the early Tassie period is going to be contended by Sydney, Freo, GC, Haw, North imo.

They couldn't have picked a worse draft either to give up Pick 6.

That might be Langford or Smith, both would have been exactly what they need to build around Daicos longterm. Langford particularly is the perfect Pendlebury replacement and someone that would have complimented Daicos.
This was the most outrageous suggestion I've read on bigfooty ever.
Some good signs from a few players today too, Parker and in the reserves, really good signs from the likes of Allan, Smit, Eyre to name a few. It goes to show a week is a long time in football. But ten years? Absolutely absurd and obviously wishful thinking from this poster who suggested it.

Last edited:
Oldest list in the AFL.
No first round pick.
Likely to re-sign Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe, Mason Cox etc for another year.
Likely to chase experienced players this trade period.

Oof... I'd be targeting first round picks ASAP but I think McRae wants to try the Richmond strategy with Hopper/Taranto.

Oldest list in the AFL.
No first round pick.
Likely to re-sign Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe, Mason Cox etc for another year.
Likely to chase experienced players this trade period.

Oof... I'd be targeting first round picks ASAP but I think McRae wants to try the Richmond strategy with Hopper/Taranto.
We won't be able to do a Richmond type deal.
Richmond had Picks 12, 19, 31 and a F1 to trade.

Collingwood don't have a 1st this year, have a potential high end F&S next year so limits future pick trades and don't have many fringe players with value to trade.
Our salary cap is rumoured to be under control but there are few remaining free agents so that avenue seems to be closed also.

I would expect that the best we could do is just shuffle a few fringe players in areas of depth for other fringe players in areas of weakness on our list.

Players who could move out:
  • Joe Richards (OOC) [Rumours of Port and Essendon interest]
  • Nathan Kreuger (OOC)
  • Reef McInnes (OOC)
  • Ash Johnson (contracted to 2025)
  • Finlay Macrae (contracted to 2025)
  • Oleg Markov (OOC) not much value
With guys like Pendles, Steele, Howe, Cox, etc. all expected to go on I would expect that we are in a sort of holding pattern hoping that we have a limited injury list in 2025 and see how we go.

The pies will be spewing they got schultz and didn't keep ginnivan.

If they had that first they would have landed petracca this trade period. They've got a bare cupboard to try get him

Not sure why we’d be interested in Petracca.

We need to rebuild our list with youth. As great as Petracca is, he will be 29 years old before the start of next season and is on a massive contract with 5 years left.

Given his playing style I can’t see him maintaining his output until the end of that deal. Heck Dusty has only just turned 33 and he dropped off a cliff in terms of performance for the last couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Collingwood 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back