Club Focus Collingwood 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

This is easy.

Heres my arguments.

Cox is in the bottom 10% of players in the AFL. You move him on and provide a list spot to develop another tall. Opening up his list spot provides significant value for a younger player to be provided opportunties. His on field output is non existent.

Howe should have been delisted. His body is continually failing him. You can only carry so may 30+ players with injury history like his. They should have given Charlie Dean more responsibility and elevated a younger defender to play more consistently.

Elliotts body is completely cooked, and lets be honest, theres 30 to 40 players in the league that play his role to the same level. He is cooked. You move forward with Joe Richards and Harvey Harrison and expose them at the level to enhance their development. He is hurting their development.

This is what hawthorn and Geelong have done well.

You move on Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, Shiels, Gunston*, Steve Johnson, Paul Chapman, Josh Hunt etc etc and it all provides development opportunities for younger players.
We’ve made plenty of poor list management choices but these aren’t it.

Yeah you’re way off, man.

Collingwood have two developing rucks in the VFL already. Cox would have been picked up by another club in an instant if we moved him on.

You mustn’t have watched too much of Howe this year as he is clearly deserving of a new deal and has played mostly great footy at both ends of the ground.

Elliott booted 39 goals last year and is still kicking 1.7 a game this year in an injury riddled year. To suggest he should have been sent into retirement is absolutely insane.

You seriously think the premiership winning team should have sent several players into retirement and replaced them with the last players available in the draft and SSP players?

Geelong and Hawthorn did not dump any of those players after a premiership. You even put up Liam Shiels who was moved on 7 years after Hawthorn’s last premiership. You’re way off.

I disagree.

I dont think Collingwood will be back in finals contention until 2027. The list needs a total regeneration which should have started last year

I disagree.

I dont think Collingwood will be back in finals contention until 2027. The list needs a total regeneration which should have started last year
We all wish we had hindsight to assess our decision making. No club has ever rebuilt the day after winning a flag and no team will ever will for obvious reasons

13th with a horrible list.

I'm clearly talking post GF. We know you won a flag last year. We get it.
I can assure you if Collingwood dumped all their over 30's after the grand final and replaced them with state league players and 18 year olds nobody else wanted, resulting in a spoon race with North Melbourne and Richmond, you would not be commending Collingwood's bold trade work to commence a heavy rebuild

You're looking at what's gone wrong with our season from the completely wrong end.

Pies should shop De Goey around for decent pick to land a quality key forward.

Trading in Shultz and turfing out Ginaven looks like a terrible move, top 10 pick plus 38 for a small forward you already had?

Ive heard a few Pies fans say they should keep Pendlebury on next year to get the highest games record. Even if he is played as the Sub. That doesnt sound like the ruthless Collingwood we have seen recently with list management. Not the best way to rebuild an aging list.

Last edited:
Pies should ship De Goey around for decent pick to oand a quality key forward.

Trading in Shultz and turfing out Ginaven looks like a terrible move, top 10 pick plus 38 for a small forward you already had?

Ive heard a few Pies fans say they should keep Pendlebury on next year to get the highest games record. Even if he is played as the Sub. That doesnt sound like the ruthless Collingwood we have seen recently with list management. Not the best way to rebuild an aging list.
He can't get to the games record anymore unless he plays on in 2026, which he shouldn't

I can assure you if Collingwood dumped all their over 30's after the grand final and replaced them with state league players and 18 year olds nobody else wanted, resulting in a spoon race with North Melbourne and Richmond, you would not be commending Collingwood's bold trade work to commence a heavy rebuild

You're looking at what's gone wrong with our season from the completely wrong end.
Spot on, you have to farewell the vets at the right time too if you're doing it by the masses.

For instance, retiring everybody in a year where a club has no draft capital, or no conga line of FA's lined up doesn't help anybody.

You're getting rid of champions, and replacing them with late picks who in all likelihood won't play any meaningful role in the future of the club.

It's masquerading as change or a 'rebuild', but it's effectively just removing deadwood for younger deadwood.

For all Geelong have done right over the last 20 years, we screwed that up royally at the end of 2018.

Retired/delisted players who probably needed to go...but we picked the wrong year to do so with the draft capital we had at our disposal.

Brought in 6-7 spuds though the draft, and because of the rules, you have to give these guys 2 year contracts too.

They end up clogging up the list and you can tell by April of their first year that they're not going to make it.

Collingwood have got to be smart over the impending period, and I suspect they'll learn from others mistakes, and won't be down for a long.

They're a well run club who tend to find a way, even when they shouldn't.

Need a couple of years at the draft, but it's nothing terminal. Just have to make sure they don't cut more than they can bring in over any single off-season.

I never said rebuild ever.

Its about making tough calls.

When did i say replace them with State league players and draftees? Your putting words in my mouth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all wish we had hindsight to assess our decision making. No club has ever rebuilt the day after winning a flag and no team will ever will for obvious reasons

But Collingwood were prepared to move on a 21 year old premiership player for a new shiny small forward which at this stage looks like it will cost a top 6 pick.

Pies should ship De Goey around for decent pick to oand a quality key forward.

This just never happens in the real world. When has a team turfed a player who wanted to stay to get a key forward. Who is this key forward anyway.

I never said rebuild ever.

Its about making tough calls.

When did i say replace them with State league players and draftees? Your putting words in my mouth.

The only wrong list management decision we made coming off the back last year was Schultz. And even then that’s with the benefit of hindsight for most people, as at the time even most AFL experts said that had improved us.

That’s not excusing previous years terrible drafting and trading decisions. As they have more often than not been diabolical.

But as other Collingwood supporters have already pointed out we didn’t exactly have young talent coming through to push the old guard out.

Saying otherwise is complete revisionist garbage.

Arent you Collingwood? You're a big club, throw your weight around. Bring in some gun players. Make some positive moves instead of shying away from making tough calls.

You keep say we failed to make the tough calls without explaining what they were/weren't.

Care to actually put some meat on that bone?

This just never happens in the real world. When has a team turfed a player who wanted to stay to get a key forward. Who is this key forward anyway.

Mate its Collingwood.

What did they do when they needed to move cap space?

Did they shop players around and ship them out? Yes they did.

Pies are not the Eagles. They are ruthless and make tough calls when it comes to list decisions. History has shown this. Recent history.

Think they need to load up on some kids this draft and bring in a kpf and kpd in FA. Trade out their future 1st for a 1st this round. Maybe F1, F2, 26, 44,45, for suns 10, 20, 51.

Retire: Mitchell, Elliot, Cox, Pendlebury. Delist: anyone that wont make it and go into the draft for 5 players. FAs: Kolodjashni, Perryman, Sam Day,

Think they need to load up on some kids this draft and bring in a kpf and kpd in FA. Trade out their future 1st for a 1st this round. Maybe F1, F2, 26, 44,45, for suns 10, 20, 51.

Retire: Mitchell, Elliot, Cox, Pendlebury. Delist: anyone that wont make it and go into the draft for 5 players. FAs: Kolodjashni, Perryman, Sam Day,
We have a top highly rated FS next year, so we need to be wary for points in the 2025 draft.

Mate its Collingwood.

What did they do when they needed to move cap space?

Did they shop players around and ship them out? Yes they did.

Pies are not the Eagles. They are ruthless and make tough calls when it comes to list decisions. History has shown this. Recent history.
Yeah very good point. Forgot about Treloar and co

With De Goey though I mean who would they get thats better, especially as a forward. Better off just playing him forward...

I dont really get why anyone thinks the forward line is a issue. It isnt. What they need is a lockdown tall defender and a in and under midfielder. Not even sure they need to be good, just good enough to hold a spot so others can be more impactful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Collingwood 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back