Club Focus Collingwood 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Not sure why we’d be interested in Petracca.

We need to rebuild our list with youth. As great as Petracca is, he will be 29 years old before the start of next season and is on a massive contract with 5 years left.

Given his playing style I can’t see him maintaining his output until the end of that deal. Heck Dusty has only just turned 33 and he dropped off a cliff in terms of performance for the last couple of years.
Danger is still playing great footy

Maybe Collingwood should trade 2025r1 for if possible 3 or 4 second rounders, like West Coast did with Gold Coast in 2017 I think.
That way it gets talent in the door this year.
It is dangerous, given the 3 pretty bad trades for future first they have done in last 6 years or so.

Maybe Collingwood should trade 2025r1 for if possible 3 or 4 second rounders, like West Coast did with Gold Coast in 2017 I think.
It is dangerous, given the 3 pretty bad trades for future first they have done in last 6 years or so.
Possible but hard given the amount of Northern Academy, F&S and NGA players in this draft. The clubs linked to them will be trying to get similar picks for points value.

• Ashcroft Bris F&S say top 5
  • Lombard GCS NA say top 10
  • Kako Ess NGA say Top top 20
  • B Camporeale Carl F&S say top 20
  • Marshall Bris NA say 10-30
  • Welsh Ade F&S say 10-30
  • B Camporeale Carl F&S say 20-40

I would think if we went down this path it would be more likely to be live trading on draft day to maximise the value of any traded picks.

You may disagree as a cats fan.

But I think most neutrals would agree that he’s nowhere near the player he was when he came across. Or even the same as he was a couple of years ago.
Dangerfield is 34. Petracca is 28.

Of course Dangerfield is not the same player as at his peak. His 2016-17 is one of the best two seasons ever played.

We did tried that once and it didn’t work out for us at all. Trading future firsts should be banned for us.

Dangerfield is 34. Petracca is 28.

Of course Dangerfield is not the same player as at his peak. His 2016-17 is one of the best two seasons ever played.

Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m saying.

Danger has dropped off in the last few years. Pretty much all elite midfielders over history have done the same at a similar age. A lot have also retired around then.

Petracca will be 29 by the start of next season. So unless he is the exception to history, IMO he’s likely to only have about three elite years left.

Danger has dropped off in the last few years. Pretty much all elite midfielders over history have done the same at a similar age. A lot have also retired around then.

Petracca will be 29 by the start of next season. So unless he is the exception to history, IMO he’s likely to only have about three elite years left.
I agree as a midfielder. Perhaps more as a forward and he is I think a better forward than Dangerfield is.
There could well be a bit of a psychological scar there from his injury, hopefully not though.
I would expect him to wear some padding as well next year, that might slow him down a fraction.

Apologies. I misconstrued.

It's an interesting comparison - what would you have traded for a 28 year old Dangerfield at the end of 2018?

The best player in the game arguably in 2019, was a raging Brownlow favourite before Fyfe upset him.
Really strong again in 2020 with his last AA.

From 2021 onwards he's continued to be very good but has played 65/94 games.

Apologies. I misconstrued.

It's an interesting comparison - what would you have traded for a 28 year old Dangerfield at the end of 2018?

The best player in the game arguably in 2019, was a raging Brownlow favourite before Fyfe upset him.
Really strong again in 2020 with his last AA.

From 2021 onwards he's continued to be very good but has played 65/94 games.

Personally for someone of that age who a team will likely get less than 100 games from I couldn’t justify parting with more than a top 10 pick and a late first (or two seconds).

For me it’s too much an NBA approach. A Hail Mary at a premiership in a 1-2 year span. It rarely works out there with their tiny rosters, let alone in the AFL where you need 23 contributors to a flag.

If you are talking about a similarly elite star in the 20-25 age bracket that’s a different story all together as you have a longer period to build a premiership team around them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Collingwood 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back