NO TROLLS Collingwood CEO Craig Kelly involved in racism & homophobia allegations lodged in court documents

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

Collingwood is facing a fresh racism scandal, with chief executive Craig Kelly accused of joking about putting a “live f***ing possum” in a special room for Indigenous players and calling an Aboriginal elder a “dumb old bitch”.

In explosive court documents, Kelly is accused of a series of racial slurs and physical assaults by the club’s former head of First Nations strategy Mark Cleaver, a “Palawa person” who was engaged by the Magpies in the wake of the 2021 “Do Better” crisis.

In addition to the accusations of Indigenous slurs, Mr Cleaver claimed that Kelly also joked about sending a photograph of a ‘Free Palestine’ sign to a Jewish colleague to wind her up.

Earlier during that trip, Mr Cleaver – who documents detail is gay – alleges Mr Kelly told him “we are taking my car; it’s a real man’s car”. When Mr Cleaver joked that he thought Kelly “flew by helicopter”, he said the club chief called him a “dickhead” and “jabbed” him “forcefully in the shoulder” causing him “to fall backwards”.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indigenous, Jews, women, elderly people, LGBT, Asians.......he must have been ticking them off like a game of Offensive Bingo.

But who should I make these jokes to???

Got it! The gay dude who is head of our First Nations strategy! You’ve done it again Ned

Classic Collingwood. Sounds like they might need to commission a 'do better again 2.0' report.

Is entitled to have the allegations fairly heard, but if true get rid of him.

If it is true, imagine the culture and environment they've got going on down at Collingwood that would make him think any of that is ok. And he is the one leading the culture and environment!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Classic Collingwood. Sounds like they might need to commission a 'do better again 2.0' report.

Is entitled to have the allegations fairly heard, but if true get rid of him.
Yeah compared to the Hawks allegations these are fairly lightweight, and Fagan and Clarko are still getting around.

But if proven true I'd move him on asap.

It is further alleged in the documents: “About halfway back to the office, on or about High Street or Hoddle Street … an Asian lady was walking across the road nearing the middle of the road. Mr Kelly swerved the car so it passed close by her, yelled “statistic” and laughed.”

Everything else aside… as a mate of Darren Millane’s, I find this staggering

Collingwood is facing a fresh racism scandal, with chief executive Craig Kelly accused of joking about putting a “live f***ing possum” in a special room for Indigenous players and calling an Aboriginal elder a “dumb old bitch”.

In explosive court documents, Kelly is accused of a series of racial slurs and physical assaults by the club’s former head of First Nations strategy Mark Cleaver, a “Palawa person” who was engaged by the Magpies in the wake of the 2021 “Do Better” crisis.

In addition to the accusations of Indigenous slurs, Mr Cleaver claimed that Kelly also joked about sending a photograph of a ‘Free Palestine’ sign to a Jewish colleague to wind her up.

During a meeting the need for a “cultural room” was raised, it is alleged in the documents. “We need to get this cultural room launched, (Collingwood president) Jeff (Browne) has been on my arse about it,” Kelly is alleged to have said.

Mr Cleaver told him: “The next step is to go through all the cultural artefacts, with Leon Davis to decide what goes in the room.”

The documents then assert: “Mr Kelly picked up a marngrook (a ball made of possum hair used by Indigenous peoples in Victoria) that was on the desk and said ‘I don’t give a f*** what you put in there, put this shit in there’ and forcefully threw the marngrook at Mr Cleaver.

“The marngrook hit Mr Cleaver, which humiliated them and caused them pain because of the paresthesia caused by their multiple sclerosis.

“Mr Kelly continued talking and said ‘I don’t give a f*** if you put a live f***ing possum in there, just get Jeff and Jodie (Sizer) off my arse’.

Ms Brewer is alleged to have responded by saying: “Great one, Ned (Kelly), that’s not culturally safe.”

The documents state that Kelly then “laughed”, prompting Ms Brewer to comment “not appropriate”.

Kelly is alleged to have then said: “I know it’s inappropriate.”

They also detail how Collingwood met with Indigenous support group Dardi Munwurro on March 18, with the organisation claiming it had not been paid $500,000 promised from CGU sponsorship funds after the “Do Better” racism scandal.

After Kelly said he really cared “about our Indigenous people”, documents assert Indigenous elder Aunty Carol Thorpe said “you don’t say ‘our’, we don’t belong to you”.

As they drove from the meeting in Kelly’s car, the documents allege that the club chief asked: “Who was that old bird?”

After Mr Cleaver told him it was “Aunty Carol” – the wife of Dardi Munwurro chief Alan Thorpe – he claimed: “Kelly laughed and said ‘That dumb old bitch was really angry but I got her to come around’.”

“As they drove back to Collingwood’s office … a free Palestine sign was painted on a building. Mr Kelly said ‘quick take a photo of that, send it to Galit and watch her go off’,” the documents allege.

Kelly was referring to Galit Yaary, who is Collingwood’s executive general manager for people and culture and is Jewish.

It is further alleged in the documents: “About halfway back to the office, on or about High Street or Hoddle Street … an Asian lady was walking across the road nearing the middle of the road. Mr Kelly swerved the car so it passed close by her, yelled “statistic” and laughed.”

In another exchange in his car on March 18, Kelly is alleged to have said to Mr Cleaver: “Why do you need to use google maps? I assume your people can navigate with their eyes closed.”

Earlier during that trip, Mr Cleaver – who documents detail is gay – alleges Mr Kelly told him “we are taking my car; it’s a real man’s car”.

When Mr Cleaver joked that he thought Kelly “flew by helicopter”, he said the club chief called him a “dickhead” and “jabbed” him “forcefully in the shoulder” causing him “to fall backwards”.

what the actual f*** did I just read?

That's some cartoon villain s***

Everything else aside… as a mate of Darren Millane’s, I find this staggering
seriously some of those accusations sound too outlandish to be true

This reads like a description of the actions of a man under the influence of something.
I’ll be one of the 1-2% who will reserve judgement and let the process play out.
Yeah i know… weird!
I've been drunk enough to do many, many things but it didn't turn me in the Klu Klux Klans amateur stand up comedy guy

Yeah compared to the Hawks allegations these are fairly lightweight, and Fagan and Clarko are still getting around.

But if proven true I'd move him on asap.
Fagan and Clarko were probably dropped from the human rights case because they don't have the cash to actually provide a pay out.

Remove this Banner Ad

NO TROLLS Collingwood CEO Craig Kelly involved in racism & homophobia allegations lodged in court documents

Remove this Banner Ad

Back