Collingwood, did very well in trade week.

Remove this Banner Ad

understudy

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2002
North East
AFL Club
Collingwood
Netted two top ten draft picks with 8 and 10.

Gives them a definite chance at one of the top 8 - Gibbs, Gumbleton, Hansen, Thorpe, Sellar, Leuenberger, Selwood or Proud and then the possibility of landing someone like a Nathan Brown, Jetta, Reiwoldt or Armitage at 10.

Could set them up well into the future.

understudy said:

Only netted one top ten draft pick during trade week.

understudy said:
Gives them a definite chance at one of the top 8 - Gibbs, Gumbleton, Hansen, Thorpe, Sellar, Leuenberger, Selwood or Proud and then the possibility of landing someone like a Nathan Brown, Jetta, Reiwoldt or Armitage at 10.

Definate chance at Gibbs, Hansen, Thorpe, Leuenberger? Kidding aren't you?

There isn't even a definite chance of getting one of Selwood or Sellar.

understudy said:

No doubt.

understudy said:

Umm yeah. Im tipping Gibbs and Gumbleton at picks 8 and 10 respectively.

Lets hope Leuenberger slides (to 8) as most ruckman do.

understudy said:

Gives them a definite chance at one of the top 8 - Gibbs, Gumbleton, Hansen, Thorpe, Sellar, Leuenberger, Selwood or Proud

yep definite chance of getting one of those 8 considering there are 8 of them and you have pick 8.

Well picked up !

The real standout players in the draft this year have been well documented:

Gibbs
Selwood
Hansen
Gumbleton
Lburger
Thorpe
Sellar

The next group are a fair way behind and pick 8 could be anyone of about 30 players.

Topping the list would be Collard, Proud, Jetta, Pettard, Armitage, Reiwolt, Reid, M&N Brown.

Audemars Piguet said:
The real standout players in the draft this year have been well documented:

Gibbs
Selwood
Hansen
Gumbleton
Lburger
Thorpe
Sellar

The next group are a fair way behind and pick 8 could be anyone of about 30 players.

Topping the list would be Collard, Proud, Jetta, Pettard, Armitage, Reiwolt, Reid, M&N Brown.
Of course it's a Top 7 now that Collingwood has the #8 pick.

I think you'll find that Albert Proud is as highly rated as the top players you've suggested. In fact, most people have him going before Collingwood's pick #8.

They will only do well if the player they draft turns out to be a gun because frankly I'm not convinced of Paul Medhurst, they really should have bargained harder and tried for someone like Schammer or Crowley etc, it does seem as though teh Pies were just really desperate to be rid of Tarrant.
In hindsight Richmond baulked at trading 2 first rnd draft picks for Fevola and that decision they will regret for years :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

celtic_pride said:
They will only do well if the player they draft turns out to be a gun because frankly I'm not convinced of Paul Medhurst, they really should have bargained harder and tried for someone like Schammer or Crowley etc, it does seem as though teh Pies were just really desperate to be rid of Tarrant.
In hindsight Richmond baulked at trading 2 first rnd draft picks for Fevola and that decision they will regret for years :)
We didn't have 2 first round picks to trade.

understudy said:

Geelong get pick 7 and Hawkins does that beat picks 8 and 10?
(sorry just sick of this two picks in top 10 stuff that collingwood are patting themselves on the back for)

understudy said:

Collingwood didn't draft well, Fremantle are just really stupid.

Asty said:
(sorry just sick of this two picks in top 10 stuff that collingwood are patting themselves on the back for)

At least we have taken a look at our list and realised that we cant win a premiership with it, and have decided to perform a mid ladder rebuild. You blokes, who finished outside the eight, still think you have a chance a winning a premiership, with a slow midfield and non-existant forward line. The fact is you didn't get involved in trade week because you weren't aggressive enough in trading people like kelly (who struggled for form and a spot in the 22) because he is a required player. Give me a break.
We traded well so we can talk as much about our 2 top ten picks as much as we like

Asty said:
No, because you didn't have to do anything to get them.

We had to trade for Pick #8, hence "good trading".

We weren't patting ourselves on the back for a job well done when we got Travis Cloke or Heath Shaw...

Remember guys though
It's up to the recruitiers to pick the right player.
If it works and you guys pick a gem (which in this draft it is very likely) then you guys have done well, but if the player turns out to be another Luke Livingston or Luke Molan (other high rated draft picks that turned out to be flops) and you guys gave up a lot of him.
It is essetntial that the recruitiers of Collingwood don't mess this one up, but if it succeeds I'll be the first one to admit I was wrong.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
No, because you didn't have to do anything to get them.

We had to trade for Pick #8, hence "good trading".

We weren't patting ourselves on the back for a job well done when we got Travis Cloke or Heath Shaw...

Who's patting the Geelong coach/administration on the back for a job well done? I think you will find quite the opposite. What he is saying is "Suck It Up" our prospects out of the draft are better than yours.

And yes
Hawkins + pick 7 is much better than pick 8 + pick 10 . I don't care what you did to get those picks. 8 & 10 are not as good as Hawkins & 7.

Travis Cloke and Heath Shaw were not nearly as good a prospect to brag about as Hawkins is. Anyway I can almost garantee you lot were rubbing it everyone faces when you were about to draft them.

DanA said:
Who's patting the Geelong coach/administration on the back for a job well done? I think you will find quite the opposite. What he is saying is "Suck It Up" our prospects out of the draft are better than yours.

And yes
Hawkins + pick 7 is much better than pick 8 + pick 10 . I don't care what you did to get those picks. 8 & 10 are not as good as Hawkins & 7.
This thread is saying that Collingwood did well in the trade period.

Therefore, what Geelong is getting is irrelevant, because they didn't trade. By that logic, Carlton fans could say they're doing better because they have the #1 pick. However, it would be equally as irrelevant as bringing up Geelong in a thread about who traded well.

DanA said:
Travis Cloke and Heath Shaw were not nearly as good a prospect to brag about as Hawkins is. Anyway I can almost garantee you lot were rubbing it everyone faces when you were about to draft them.
Travis Cloke was indeed a very good prospect, and we knew what we were getting, but if anything, it just goes to show that pre-draft hype on F/S selections can be totally inaccurate.

Travis Cloke was considered to be a late 1st round pick, while in that same draft, Jesse Smith and Mitch Morton were both considered to be Top 10 picks, when in reality, to date, Travis Cloke has looked better than either.

And as for Heath Shaw, he was considered to be barely worth the 3rd round pick it took to get him, while Brayden Shaw was considered to be an absolute steal for a 2nd round pick.

The fact is, with father-son selections, there is some element of doubt as to where they would really go, because nobody ever actually has to put up the pick to use on the player, and so people can go wild talking about how good a kid is.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
This thread is saying that Collingwood did well in the trade period.

The fact is, with father-son selections, there is some element of doubt as to where they would really go, because nobody ever actually has to put up the pick to use on the player, and so people can go wild talking about how good a kid is.

Fair enough I think Collingwood did fantastic out of trade week and are going to draft some great players.

Agreed there is an element of doubt. In saying that Hawkins is at least a top 10 pick, probable top 5, possible No.1.

For what it is worth I think there are four standouts:
Gibbs
Leuenberger
Gumbleton
Hansen

From there 5 players I find hard to order
Thorp
Sellar
Sellwood
Jetta
Proud

After that it is up in the air. If I were to guess I would say Collingwood will get Sellar & Proud. That would be two great players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood, did very well in trade week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back