Collingwood, did very well in trade week.

Remove this Banner Ad

We had to trade for Pick #8, hence "good trading".

ANY club can get a good pick for a good player if they're willing to give them up:confused:

Just because Coll finally decided to trade off Tarrant doesnt make them good traders - does that mean we should have traded Fev last year? Or the bulldogs should trade Cooney Or the Eagles should trade Cox?

understudy said:
Pick 8 for Tarrant in this draft is a good trade, Collingwood have done very well out of trade week.
Do we really need to go into how many dud top ten picks there have been??

Pick 8 is currency. If we spend it on some magic beans (eg. a Mourish, who turns out to be the next Billy Morrison) then we couldn't have done worse out of trade week, and you're begging for this thread to be dredged up at any opportunity in the future.

DanA said:
For what it is worth I think there are four standouts:
Gibbs
Leuenberger
Gumbleton
Hansen

From there 5 players I find hard to order
Thorp
Sellar
Sellwood
Jetta
Proud

After that it is up in the air. If I were to guess I would say Collingwood will get Sellar & Proud. That would be two great players.
Those are my exact Top 9, including the top 4 and next 5. Only difference is the order I have them in.

As for getting Sellar and Proud, I would be pretty damn excited if that happened.

coffee man said:
ANY club can get a good pick for a good player if they're willing to give them up:confused:

Just because Coll finally decided to trade off Tarrant doesnt make them good traders - does that mean we should have traded Fev last year? Or the bulldogs should trade Cooney Or the Eagles should trade Cox?

Fev and Cooney are great players, Tarrant is not. They did very well to get pick 8 + Medhurst for an overrated HFF who cannot kick.

FIGJAM said:
Do we really need to go into how many dud top ten picks there have been??

Pick 8 is currency. If we spend it on some magic beans (eg. a Mourish, who turns out to be the next Billy Morrison) then we couldn't have done worse out of trade week, and you're begging for this thread to be dredged up at any opportunity in the future.
Exactly - It's currency.

That means that regardless of what you spend it on, the deal is good. We cannot change the trade now - The trade is done.

If we waste the pick, that's bad drafting, not bad trading. To suggest otherwise is like saying that if you buy a BMW for 20 bucks, but then write it off by running into a telephone pole, that it wasn't a good deal to buy the Beamer...

FIGJAM said:

That would be poor recruiting and drafting not trading. Hine has the runs on the board we got to trust him to read out the right name.

understudy said:
Pick 8 for Tarrant in this draft is a good trade, Collingwood have done very well out of trade week.

Only pick 8 for a former AA forward, an unknown talent for a quality forward, that's gotta make you nervous. :eek: ;)

Then again, i'd have done it too.:D

Collingwood did great. Medhurst will probably kick as many goals as Tarant did, plus they get pick 8 in the "super-draft".
And they were very happy to see the back of Tarrant.

On the other hand, Freo have stuffed up again. They lose a 1st round pick + Polak + Medhurst, and get an overpaid underperforming alcoholic! What a bargain!
Good one Freo. You've done it again.

Books said:
Collingwood did great. Medhurst will probably kick as many goals as Tarant did, plus they get pick 8 in the "super-draft".
And they were very happy to see the back of Tarrant.

On the other hand, Freo have stuffed up again. They lose a 1st round pick + Polak + Medhurst, and get an overpaid underperforming alcoholic! What a bargain!
Good one Freo. You've done it again.

Do you think ?

Medhurst and Polak couldnt even get in their best 22. They get Tarrant who will prosper from a more talented midfield than Collingwood's and will also benefit from having Pavlich sit right next to him.

As for losing pick 8 ... well they never really had it in the first place, they had pick 13. Time will tell, but there have been many flops in the top 10, even in the last super draft (Molan, X Clarke, Sampi etc).

They've hardly stuffed up, but if you think this super draft will be a saviour for teams who have good draft picks ... dont let me stop you ! :rolleyes:

No doubt it was a good trade. I didn't want to see Taz go but once he indictaed via his manager that he'd rather leave, he was gone.

Also, Pie management realised we probably wouldn't challenge for a flag in the next few years so why not continue now what we started 3 years ago.

ie. Egan, T.Cloke and Rusling
Thomas, Pendlebury & have faith JA, Stanley and Cook

You could add in H.O'Brien who we be a very solid contributor in the backline. Then you have H.Shaw and Dane Swan.

Teams outside of the WCE have a lot of chasing to do in the next 3 years to challenge them. Have a look at the age of their guns!

So in summation, by the time we would next be challenging for a flag Taz would be past his best.

Good trade.

Bay Pie said:
No doubt it was a good trade. I didn't want to see Taz go but once he indictaed via his manager that he'd rather leave, he was gone.

Also, Pie management realised we probably wouldn't challenge for a flag in the next few years so why not continue now what we started 3 years ago.

ie. Egan, T.Cloke and Rusling
Thomas, Pendlebury & have faith JA, Stanley and Cook

You could add in H.O'Brien who we be a very solid contributor in the backline. Then you have H.Shaw and Dane Swan.

Teams outside of the WCE have a lot of chasing to do in the next 3 years to challenge them. Have a look at the age of their guns!

So in summation, by the time we would next be challenging for a flag Taz would be past his best.

Good trade.

Agreed. Winners on both sides of the fence. Freo get Tarrant who will work well next to Pavlich, Collingwood get Medhurst who should make their best 22 AND pick 8. The trade is a win/win for both teams, who Collingwood pick up with pick 8 is irrelevant to the trade just done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, collingwood did really well to get pick 8. This will set them up post-07 really well.

Their will be questions about 2007 though. Tarrant contributed to roughly 10% of collingwood's goals. Now that he's gone, I am not sure where Collingwood will find another 36 goal kicker. Rocca will recede due to age (or stay the same). Dale Thomas would improve but I doubt it'll be sufficient to cover the 36 goal gap. Add to that, you've got Didak struggling due to his recovery during early part of 2007 and all of a sudden pies look a little soft up forward. Of course, playing 15 games at MCG means things will never be terribly rough.

Axcellence said:
Yes, collingwood did really well to get pick 8. This will set them up post-07 really well.

Their will be questions about 2007 though. Tarrant contributed to roughly 10% of collingwood's goals. Now that he's gone, I am not sure where Collingwood will find another 36 goal kicker. Rocca will recede due to age (or stay the same). Dale Thomas would improve but I doubt it'll be sufficient to cover the 36 goal gap. Add to that, you've got Didak struggling due to his recovery during early part of 2007 and all of a sudden pies look a little soft up forward. Of course, playing 15 games at MCG means things will never be terribly rough.
Without overrating him at all, despite all the criticism he gets, Medhurst has shown in the past that he's good for 30 goals a year.

People forget that he should pick up some of the goal-kicking slack.

I haven't been this happy for Collingwood since seeing Monkey and Kerro running around Waverley.

I also think the acquisition of Medhurst will be nice. Apparently he has kicked at least 40 goals in 3 seasons now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood, did very well in trade week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back