Autopsy Collingwood Ducks v Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind shrugging a tackle. Its a legitimate attempt to break the tackle and get clear. But it should be considered prior opportunity. Dunno if it should be a free if it slips high. Depends on tackling player's intent when the high contact comes honestly.
By shrugging I'm referring to when the tackler does a legit tackle and the bloke being tackled raises his arm to slip the tackle over his shoulders. He isn't evading anything.

(Don't think I could say a proper sentence without using the word 'tackle' more if I tried. I've gone tackle happy)

s-l400.jpg

The main reason I know about Selwood is because Swallow was giving him an absolute bath ay Eithad/Marvel, and then did his achilles.

Swallow was a very good player at his best. Better than some think imo.

Swallow did his Achilles against Melbourne when we beat them by 20 goals at Etihad in 2013.

But yeah, he was a good player - made up for being slowish, and lacking penetration in kicking - with being hard at the contest and footy smarts.

Disagree about it being a contest of strength. A shrug or pushing your arms out sideways is taught as self defense when someone grabs you, because it uses short lever points which give you a significant advantage to escape. The person getting tackled always has the advantage in that regard, unless you get them really low around the waist... which is countered by dropping at the knees, theres a reason they do both actions.

If a tackle slips high, then it should rightly be a free.

But if the person getting tackled is the reason for that contact going high, stuff them.

It's the same situation as them relaxing high frees when a player leads with the head. The person who intentionally puts their head down when they don't need to, gains an advantage as they can't be tackled from the front. There was a few of these that were let go in our game alone because the player in possession did it.

You're right about the leverage but it works both ways. The lower you tackle (ie closer to the elbow) the harder it is for the other player to push your arms up. Players like Jed rarely give away high tackles because of how they do it and that they are strong enough to prevent being shrugged off.

Swallow did his Achilles against Melbourne when we beat them by 20 goals at Etihad in 2013.

But yeah, he was a good player - made up for being slowish, and lacking penetration in kicking - with being hard at the contest and footy smarts.

What injury did he do that day? He went off injured and didn't come back on - it cost us hugely as he was dominating.

I think he was a bit better than that. I genuinely think he was a very good player at his top.

You're right about the leverage but it works both ways. The lower you tackle (ie closer to the elbow) the harder it is for the other player to push your arms up. Players like Jed rarely give away high tackles because of how they do it and that they are strong enough to prevent being shrugged off.
By the time he drops his knees his elbow is barely 30cm from the ground.

Thing is, were we good or the Pies poor to make it a competitive game? (for a welcome change yes)

WC Eagles beat them in Melbourne!!

They really aren't that great imo, and with two of their best 5 players out, I honestly think we could have won that despite all the excuses of "why" we lost when in control.
Your take on things is seriously off.

It was a damn good game and we played really well.

Flicking across radio stations during the match consensus in the media was the same. Great game of footy. It was a real spectacle.

Have you watched the game yet?

Flicking across radio stations during the match consensus in the media was the same. Great game of footy. It was a real spectacle.

So aggressive.

Calm down, I was simply raising a thought.

No I haven't hence why I asked the question.

Very lower order response but I only just focused on the fact we were wearing that cartoon jumper. I was so busy watching the play I literally didn’t notice the jumper. I don’t like it in principle but the lack of clash on the day was great and it turns out if we are playing well I don’t really care.

I had * & Brion mates texting during the game saying one of the best pure " football " games they have watched this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I HEARD SOMEONE WAS TALKING ABOUT ANDREW SWALLOW AND I CAME AS FAST AS I COULD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Collingwood Ducks v Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back