List Mgmt. Collingwood FS & NGA "Peter Daicos Academy" kids

Remove this Banner Ad

If he did the MCL as well, they often like that to have healed up before doing the ACL reconstruction, as to have a graft in there with a sloppy MCL leads to excessive stress on the graft.

Equally if the knee is very inflamed, it’s not great to operate until that has settled.
You are 100% spot on. Just got a message from him.
MCL as well, which he is gonna let it heal naturally so they don't have to do surgery on that as well.

LQ struggled in the VFL but that means nothing for his future. He’s gotten a taste and if he has the same attitude as his brother he’ll work even harder to make sure he succeeds. It’s great thing in the VFL with that 23rd player rule. I remember Darcy Moore playing for us in a couple of games in that role.

Can you imagine if LQ became a pressure forward with Beau going into the midfield it’s going to be dangerous for the opposition.

McGuane also played his first coates league game at 16 late last year, and he's thriving.
Oscar is 16 as well, doesn't turn 17 until nov, so I'd no doubt he'll be better for this exposure and will thrive next year too.

Are both available in the 2025 draft for us?

Is it 2 or 3 Cat B spots?

Your logic is correct and I was thinking it was 2 and we’d move Parker to make room for Condon and Kerr.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Are you sure about that? It’s listed as 3 spots currently on the AFL site:
It's definitely just 2 Cat B spots. It might be a while since that web page has been updated, sadly!

This is McGuane’s first half of the year

6aa91566c58ed077af416c648702fb45.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LQ will be better for the exposure no doubt. And it'll help him even greater back at oakleigh.
Kids don't know the level of VFL coming from U18 until they get the exposure, so he'll understand the level.

Or he might not, you never know. Thought the poor kid had a bit of nightmare and I hope it doesn't hurt his confidence. It's often really good to give kids a taste of the higher level, but after his game i wonder if it was a mistake to play him.

Or he might not, you never know. Thought the poor kid had a bit of nightmare and I hope it doesn't hurt his confidence. It's often really good to give kids a taste of the higher level, but after his game i wonder if it was a mistake to play him.
Lets see how he goes when he plays for oakleigh next. But according to Fraser, oakleigh thought he was ready and while it wasn't ideal game for him; it'll be a good learning experience one way or another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all experience isn't it?

I'm not sure. It might really motivate him, but I felt a bit bad for him out there. He really struggled with the physicality, and also the pace of the game, then made a couple of goal costing mistakes including one howler of a passage. It's definitely an experience but was it good one for him to have? I don't know.
I remeber last year when we were thinking of playing Steene early, and Fly didn't pick him, saying he wanted to "set people up to achieve". I'm not sure this was that for LQ, but just a thought.

I'm not sure. It might really motivate him, but I felt a bit bad for him out there. He really struggled with the physicality, and also the pace of the game, then made a couple of goal costing mistakes including one howler of a passage. It's definitely an experience but was it good one for him to have? I don't know.
I remeber last year when we were thinking of playing Steene early, and Fly didn't pick him, saying he wanted to "set people up to achieve". I'm not sure this was that for LQ, but just a thought.
We usually play academy players through their draft year.
Voulanas and Ashwin last year and another the year before. You can only give them the experience especially if they are performing well at coates league. How do you know if they are ready or not?

We probably would have played Kerr if he hadn't done his ACL, and probably would have fared better.
But having talked to their oakleigh coach, Ash Close, he says that LQ is compeitive, but a bit more timid than his brother. But he'll be aggressive but still working on some things in his game.

Yeah, but I think playing your first VFL game is a bit different to playing someone too early in the AFL.

And he has his brother to chat to about it who will help put it all into perspective.

It's definitely just 2 Cat B spots. It might be a while since that web page has been updated, sadly!
Is it now? So why do Carlton and Geelong both have 3 cat b rookies on their current lists?

Sorry, but you and Jen seem to be wrong here, it’s currently 3 cat B spots that are available to all teams.

Is it now? So why do Carlton and Geelong both have 3 cat b rookies on their current lists?

Sorry, but you and Jen seem to be wrong here, it’s currently 3 cat B spots that are available to all teams.
No, its two. Some may appear as three if one goes on the inactive list, so they can sign another.

Every club except for North Melbourne and Gold Coast can sign a maximum of 44 footballers for next season, comprising between 36 and 38 on the primary list, four to six category A rookies – depending on the size of their primary list – and up to two category B rookies.

No, that site gets quite a bit wrong! They do a pretty good job with things, but there are mistakes to be found there, and it can't be fully trusted! On this page for example they haven't changed Oscar Steene to indicate that he is no longer on the Rookie List: https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2024/collingwood
Wil Parker hasn't been put on the list at all.

They even get them wrong in the Football Record occasionally. I recently let them know that they had Parker incorrectly shown as a Cat A Rookie:
1717241932002.png
That's how they had him (and Adelaide's Irishman Gallagher) shown back in Rd. 4. They're both Cat Bs. The # indicates a Cat A Rookie, * is for Cat B. It still hadn't been changed by Rd. 7.

No club has more than 2 Cat B Rookies currently. From AFL and AFLW Collective Bargaining Agreement “2023 – 2027”:
1717242346221.png

Australian Football League Rules 23 February 2024:
1717242821481.png

No, its two. Some may appear as three if one goes on the inactive list, so they can sign another.

Every club except for North Melbourne and Gold Coast can sign a maximum of 44 footballers for next season, comprising between 36 and 38 on the primary list, four to six category A rookies – depending on the size of their primary list – and up to two category B rookies.
Finally someone has provided something of substance rather than just a “trust me bro” post. This is what I’ve been searching for with no luck. Couldn’t find a rule pdf for 2024, the latest I could find was 2021 which said 3, the afl site says 3 and draft guru said 3.
No, that site gets quite a bit wrong! They do a pretty good job with things, but there are mistakes to be found there, and it can't be fully trusted! On this page for example they haven't changed Oscar Steene to indicate that he is no longer on the Rookie List: https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2024/collingwood
Wil Parker hasn't been put on the list at all.

They even get them wrong in the Football Record occasionally. I recently let them know that they had Parker incorrectly shown as a Cat A Rookie:
View attachment 2007768
That's how they had him (and Adelaide's Irishman Gallagher) shown back in Rd. 4. They're both Cat Bs. The # indicates a Cat A Rookie, * is for Cat B. It still hadn't been changed by Rd. 7.

No club has more than 2 Cat B Rookies currently. From AFL and AFLW Collective Bargaining Agreement “2023 – 2027”:
View attachment 2007774

Australian Football League Rules 23 February 2024:
View attachment 2007794
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. They don’t make it easy to find this stuff in a google search.

Two of those Carlton players are Irishman, and the rules clearly state only one of them can be a Cat B Rookie. That site doesn't seem to understand that important rule! One of those Irish players (Matt Duffy) I don't believe actually ended up on the list this year after all, as I think they deferred his coming here by a year for some reason. I also believe Geelong moved Clohesy to the Cat A list, leaving Irishman Mullin as a Cat B, and adding Furphy as one as well.

1717244862985.png

If you click on this thing in the top right hand corner of the AFL web site:
1717243603794.png
then click on AFL Policies, there's lots of fun reading to be had there!: https://www.afl.com.au/policies
1717243670550.png
The latest version of those key files/rules can always be found there.

Last edited:
Good luck today Oscar. Hopefully goes well. Been performing well for Frankston Dolphins this season

I loved Lonie back in the day.

Whenever he kicked one of those raking goals as a genuine half back flanker it lifted the team as he ran back to his position and high fived teammates along the way.

I loved Lonie back in the day.

Whenever he kicked one of those raking goals as a genuine half back flanker it lifted the team as he ran back to his position and high fived teammates along the way.

Yes, Lonie and Clement both used to regularly sneak forward and kick long bomb goals from 55-60m. They were so much fun to watch and as you say, lifted the whole team.

That’s one thing we presently lack - players who are genuine threats of scoring from outside 50m. Having some really spreads the opposition defence and creates more space and opportunity inside F50. For that reason I’ve always hoped we’d recruit Jack Lukosius from GC.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Looks like we'll need to keep next years 1st rounder to match a bid
Thomas becomes draft eligible in 2025 as he’s still only 16 years old, but that hasn’t stopped him from standing out in the Coates Talent League as an underage player by averaging 25.1 disposals, 4.8 marks and 3.8 inside 50s a game playing primarily on a wing.

McGuane stands at 177cm and is still lightly framed, making his impact even more impressive given he’s not yet one of the bigger bodies in the competition.

His performances drew the attention of SEN Future Stars hosts John Donohoe and James Pitcher – who is a player agent from Bravo Talent Management that looks after the likes of Darcy Moore, Jacob Weitering and other big names.

The duo discussed McGuane’s impact so far in 2024 and even put an eye ahead to his draft year next campaign.

Donohoe: “The Western Jets had a tight one as well, they had a three-point win over the Knights - 13.6 (84) to 12.9 (81).”

Pitcher: “Yeah, it was a good win by the Jets down at Williamstown.

“Now there's a young fella for next year's draft with a famous surname that's been going very well, Tommy McGuane, Mick’s son.

“Tommy is a sort of a half-back flanker, wing, midfield type that uses the ball really well.

“His last few weeks in particular (with disposals) he’s had - 24, 24, 31, 22, 24, 38 - and he's hitting the scoreboard as well (with five goals from eight games).

“So, he's a name that we need to look out for at the end of next year as a father-son.”

Donohoe: “It’s scary if he's doing that at this point when he's an underage player.

“To think what he could potentially do next year if he's doing that, he's going to be right up there in the top 10 or top 15 (picks).”

Pitcher: “And this is not to be disrespectful to the Jets, but they're not the strongest squad, so sometimes it’s harder when you’ve got to find your own footy (which Tom is doing).

“He had a good under-16s carnival last year, but he's really come on this year.

“It’s really good to see a future father-son in the works.”

The Jets currently sit eighth out of 18 sides. They next play on Saturday, June 29 against the Oakleigh Chargers at MacPherson Park.

In the meantime, McGuane is likely to play for Keilor in the EDFL where his father Mick is the coach of the seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood FS & NGA "Peter Daicos Academy" kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back