List Mgmt. Collingwood FS & NGA "Peter Daicos Academy" kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically the benefit of the father-son rule is diminished, which I think is sad as it’s a wonderful and traditional part of our game.

The discount reduction from 20 > 10% and need to use picks within the round to do that will make clubs think twice about matching which ultimately will mean a few less father son selections.

I like seeing father son players for every club for me to cheer, boo, admire and ridicule.

I do not believe expansion clubs should feel neglected in this. They get massive draft concessions and assistance for several years.
If we lower the eligibility threshold from 100 > 50 games they will get access to their father son options sooner as the children of mature age recruits who played less games for them will also be eligible.

I also think there’s a possibility that there will be some golden draft picks. For instance, pick 18, 36 and 54 as last picks in the round give equal access at a lower price.

I’d also like to understand how dvi works at the end of round three when compensation picks and father- son selections push round three picks beyond pick 54 and having a dvi value as I read it.

This system just trades one set of problems for another in my opinion.
And it will ultimately make it near impossible to draft multiple f/S and nga selections in the same year.

Not approved.
I don’t believe the changes went as far as having a pick in the same round. As someone said in the media the benefit should be in the access not the draft concession. Future pick trading will help with multiple father son or zone players in the same draft. There’s also no mention of the points deficit in the changes, so I assume clubs can still go into deficit and make up the difference the following year.

Basically the benefit of the father-son rule is diminished, which I think is sad as it’s a wonderful and traditional part of our game.

The discount reduction from 20 > 10% and need to use picks within the round to do that will make clubs think twice about matching which ultimately will mean a few less father son selections.

I like seeing father son players for every club for me to cheer, boo, admire and ridicule.

I do not believe expansion clubs should feel neglected in this. They get massive draft concessions and assistance for several years.
If we lower the eligibility threshold from 100 > 50 games they will get access to their father son options sooner as the children of mature age recruits who played less games for them will also be eligible.

I also think there’s a possibility that there will be some golden draft picks. For instance, pick 18, 36 and 54 as last picks in the round give equal access at a lower price.

I’d also like to understand how dvi works at the end of round three when compensation picks and father- son selections push round three picks beyond pick 54 and having a dvi value as I read it.

This system just trades one set of problems for another in my opinion.
And it will ultimately make it near impossible to draft multiple f/S and nga selections in the same year.

Not approved.
The benefit of the father son rule is to get father sons at the club so supporters can cheer them on. The fact that the rules have changed don’t diminish that. I don’t see clubs passing on them any more than they have in the past because they are considered too expensive.

I don’t believe the changes went as far as having a pick in the same round. As someone said in the media the benefit should be in the access not the draft concession. Future pick trading will help with multiple father son or zone players in the same draft. There’s also no mention of the points deficit in the changes, so I assume clubs can still go into deficit and make up the difference the following year.
Correct, The Phantom you can rest easy the changes didn’t extend to requiring a pick in the same round. The net impact on a clubs ability to stock up on FS or NGA picks will be dependent on the quality of the kids and honestly it’s a good thing that it now makes it extremely challenging if not practically impossible for a club to do what GC did last year. As an example the draft we had in 2018 would definitely still be possible.

Last edited:

Correct, The Phantom you can rest easy the changes didn’t extend to requiring a pick in the same round. The net impact on a clubs ability to stock up on FS or NGA picks will be dependent on the quality of the kids and honestly it’s a good thing that it now makes it extremely challenging if not practically impossible for a club to do what GC did last year. As an example the draft we had in 2018 would definitely still be possible.
Thanks for clearing that up about the same round rule.

And I can see we share the same sentiment of wanting f/s.

We do seem to have:
less picks with points
The discount halved
Value of picks for points skewed even further to early picks

I do realise this sorts the academies and ngas, making scenarios like last year’s less likely.

But I still feel f/s selectios will be more challenging.
It’ll be one thing to get Tom McGuane next year, but finding a way to draft Lonie as well I expect to be even more challenging.
I know that’s the idea.
But it’s an aspect of the game I love.

Callum and Tyler brown were no world beaters. But their drafting and playing brought out hope and passion. Even the negative comparisons were entertaining debates, let alone what better sons deliver now.

Let’s hope it still features prominently and we retain local flavours rather than NFL practices.

We do seem to have:
less picks with points
The discount halved

I do realise this sorts the academies and ngas, making scenarios like last year’s less likely.

It’ll be one thing to get Tom McGuane next year, but finding a way to draft Lonie as well I expect to be even more challenging.
I know that’s the idea.

Callum and Tyler brown were no world beaters. But their drafting and playing brought out hope and passion. Even the negative comparisons were entertaining debates, let alone what better sons deliver now.

Let’s hope it still features prominently and we retain local flavours rather than NFL practices.
My take on that specific example is that unless Lonie bolts and becomes a top 10 talent we’ll be fine. My one and only fear is supplementing Lonie and McGuane with NGA’s. For a practical example we have access to Walter, Read and McGuanre is similarly to Rogers. The rule changes will make acquiring all three borderline impossible without going into deficit or trading future picks into a draft. The changes are designed to limit a clubs ability to access all three, but I hope a club isn’t in a position that forces them to pass on the FS.

My take on that specific example is that unless Lonie bolts and becomes a top 10 talent we’ll be fine. My one and only fear is supplementing Lonie and McGuane with NGA’s. For a practical example we have access to Walter, Read and McGuanre is similarly to Rogers. The rule changes will make acquiring all three borderline impossible without going into deficit or trading future picks into a draft. The changes are designed to limit a clubs ability to access all three, but I hope a club isn’t in a position that forces them to pass on the FS.
Sooner or later I feel it’s bound to impact a f/S selection.
And that is exactly my concern and point.

I think Carlton is lucky to have access to the Camporeale twins this year instead of next.
It’ll be interesting to do a points and actions required comparison for them under each system once that plays out.

Sooner or later I feel it’s bound to impact a f/S selection.
And that is exactly my concern and point.

I think Carlton is lucky to have access to the Camporeale twins this year instead of next.
It’ll be interesting to do a points and actions required comparison for them under each system once that plays out.
The Camporeale’s are 30-50 range picks. Easy to get under old and new systems.

We do seem to have:
less picks with points
The discount halved

I know that’s the idea.

You need to remember that the AFL have left the door open for discounts etc to be changed/reverted for different categories. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the FS discount ended up being reverted to 20%, as it’s utilised far less often than academies, and pretty much all clubs, even the northern ones, will want to be able to bring FS recruits in easily. Getting a gun son of a former great does more than just improve the team, it increases fan engagement and by extension, profits for clubs. Nobody really wants to mess with that.

The Academy boys -- seemed to be about 15 or 16 of them, trained with the VFL side tonight.

The likes of LQ, The McCarthy brothers, McGuane, Max Christian, Oscar Lonie were all there.

Luke told me he has a fractured wrist, so was just doing a running session.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7364f0f4384646e84f02c1bfefa3ccc6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is there a website that lists the players an d profiles?

Nah. It’s more like a guessing game. Research basically. They really should give us a list of names and profiles. Ages etc for the academy

Is someone able to explain to me how the AFL is seeking to stop the northern academies from paying peanuts for elite players, a la Brisbane and Gold Coast in the last two years?

I understand that the restriction on matching a bid on an NGA player within the top 40 has been removed, however does this apply to the northern academies as well?

Is someone able to explain to me how the AFL is seeking to stop the northern academies from paying peanuts for elite players, a la Brisbane and Gold Coast in the last two years?

I understand that the restriction on matching a bid on an NGA player within the top 40 has been removed, however does this apply to the northern academies as well?
Surely hope so.
Nah. It’s more like a guessing game. Research basically. They really should give us a list of names and profiles. Ages etc for the academy

Yeah, it's so hard and tiring trying to find any info on who is NGA players for all clubs.

Surely hope so.

Yeah, it's so hard and tiring trying to find any info on who is NGA players for all clubs.
Like everything with the AFL, there's some information but rarely the full picture.

According to Kane, the AFL won't release the full compensation formula to clubs for free agency, choosing to only give some of the information on the grounds of confidentiality.

I've read the AFL's statement on proposed rule changes, however they don't seem to differentiate between the NGAs and the Norther Academies, so perhaps clubs can bid on Northern Academy players inside the top 40. I'm sure there's some devil in the detail, however all the detail seems to be missing.

Everyone will be ok that Brisbane gets a second Ashcroft 2 years after his Brother and Fletcher were taken in the same draft, but god forbid Collingwood gets 2 good FS players in 4 years 🤦🏻

Lol only got to look at the hoopla around Ginnivan getting high frees in a pies jumper vs him now getting them again as well as teaching his team mates at Hawks.

People like D.King applauding his smarts to draw the high and saying tacklers need to go lower ....well I'll be stuffed ...where was the support last year kingy.

Lol only got to look at the hoopla around Ginnivan getting high frees in a pies jumper vs him now getting them again as well as teaching his team mates at Hawks.

People like D.King applauding his smarts to draw the high and saying tacklers need to go lower ....well I'll be stuffed ...where was the support last year kingy.
When I saw that, I basically said the same thing
How things change eh haha

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood FS & NGA "Peter Daicos Academy" kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back