News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang on, let’s do a sanity check …

This says that the Swans are currently 100% chance of making top 4 (ie: a certainty regardless of what happens) …

… but if they lose this weekend then that goes down to 99% (ie: suddenly they’re not a certainty anymore ?!?)

This looks a bit dodgy.

4. WHERE TO FOR COLLINGWOOD?

In May, Collingwood president Jeff Bowne told colleague Sam Landsberger that the national draft doesn’t work. To stay on top you needed to trade and to get in free agents. It’s a curious approach because the cliff is approaching and the Pies need to restock. They have nine players aged 30-plus – Pendlebury, Howe, Sidebottom, Cox, Elliott, Mihocek, Mitchell, Hoskin-Elliott and Crisp. Do they all go on? Is there a decision to be made with Sidebottom, for example. Maybe the Pies believe they can rest up, re-gather and go again. They might not have a choice. The free agents left are Tim English, Josh Battle and Cam Zurhaar, and Bailey Smith is linked to Geelong. And their draft hand is 26, 44, 51, 87. Their first-round selection went to Fremantle for Lachie Schultz which presently looks heavily lopsided. It puts the Pies in a precarious position. There’s no free agents and there’s no early draft picks. Coach Craig McRae says the journey continues but how does it successfully continue with an ageing list? “For successful clubs who don’t want to drop down to the bottom,” Browne said, “the draft doesn’t really work for them.” That attitude will need to change soon enough because the Pies need more talented youth. They need to keep their first-rounders because this mob is one and done and need to restock.

Craig McRae doesn’t think Collingwood is finished, but they absolutely are just that

Saturday’s 66-point defeat to Hawthorn was the biggest in Craig McRae’s reign as Collingwood coach, but the 2023 premiership-winning leader is still holding hope this season.

Post-game, McRae said: “We’re still breathing here. Nothing is finished here.

“Resilience, pick yourself up and go again…. pick yourself up, dust yourself off, get on with it. You know, you fall off the bike, get up.”

While you’ve got to admire McRae’s optimism, the reality is that Collingwood is finished in 2024.

Sitting 13th and two games out of finals, the Pies need to go 4-1 from here to make it and that just won’t happen with how they’re playing and who they face – Richmond, Carlton, Sydney (away), Brisbane and Melbourne – on the run home.

While the Pies have had their struggles through the year with injury, the players appear to have genuinely given up as they’re being outhunted and outgunned week after week.

With four straight losses to their game, the Pies simply aren’t coping with being the hunted instead of the hunter, and it’s killed their season.

The next question is can they respond like Sydney and Geelong have in 2024 after down 2023 seasons… or is this a sign of things to come?

In Today's HS..

Collingwood president Jeff Browne has revealed he is pleased with the restructuring of the footy department in the absence of Graham Wright, who may not return to the club.

Collingwood president Jeff Browne is adamant the absence of respected football boss Graham Wright has had no impact on the reigning premier’s on-field demise.

Wright was granted leave to travel to Europe this season with the Magpies promoting assistant coaches Brendon Bolton and Justin Leppitsch to help fill the leadership void.

But the club’s premiership defence is on life support with the Magpies slumping to 13th on the ladder and no guarantees Wright will return to the club.

Adding to their woes is the fact they do not have a first-round pick in this year’s draft and the club was left red-faced by the performance of sacked premiership player Jack Ginnivan (Hawthorn) on Saturday.

Browne confirmed he was in talks with Wright – but said a possible return would have to fit within the new-look department that he has moulded.

“The enthusiasm in the group here and the restructuring of the football department that we’ve built while ‘Wrighty’ was away is something that’s very durable and futuristic,” Browne told the Herald Sun on Tuesday.

“We’re all learning a lot through the losses. We had most of our luck last year and we’re squaring up the ledger this year with a lot of bad luck with injuries.

“But I’m really happy with the structure of the football department and anyone who wants to attribute the losses this year to the absence of ‘Wrighty’ are just way off the mark.

“They don’t understand the strength that we have in that club. I’m very optimistic about the club. I believe we’re in for an era of success and we’re building for that.

“My focus is not on our win-loss ratio, it’s on winning our next premiership.”

Asked specifically about whether Wright would return, Browne said: “I’m still talking to him – but what has happened is we’ve built a really, durable structure behind him while he’s been away.

“So it’s looking at how he could fit into that, and I’m talking to him about that. That’s an ongoing discussion.

“But I’m very optimistic about the club. I’m very happy with the club.

“I’m very happy with the structures we’ve got and I’m very happy with the people we’ve got in place to take this club forward for many, many years to come.”

In Today's HS..

Collingwood president Jeff Browne has revealed he is pleased with the restructuring of the footy department in the absence of Graham Wright, who may not return to the club.

Collingwood president Jeff Browne is adamant the absence of respected football boss Graham Wright has had no impact on the reigning premier’s on-field demise.

Wright was granted leave to travel to Europe this season with the Magpies promoting assistant coaches Brendon Bolton and Justin Leppitsch to help fill the leadership void.

But the club’s premiership defence is on life support with the Magpies slumping to 13th on the ladder and no guarantees Wright will return to the club.

Adding to their woes is the fact they do not have a first-round pick in this year’s draft and the club was left red-faced by the performance of sacked premiership player Jack Ginnivan (Hawthorn) on Saturday.

Browne confirmed he was in talks with Wright – but said a possible return would have to fit within the new-look department that he has moulded.

“The enthusiasm in the group here and the restructuring of the football department that we’ve built while ‘Wrighty’ was away is something that’s very durable and futuristic,” Browne told the Herald Sun on Tuesday.

“We’re all learning a lot through the losses. We had most of our luck last year and we’re squaring up the ledger this year with a lot of bad luck with injuries.

“But I’m really happy with the structure of the football department and anyone who wants to attribute the losses this year to the absence of ‘Wrighty’ are just way off the mark.

“They don’t understand the strength that we have in that club. I’m very optimistic about the club. I believe we’re in for an era of success and we’re building for that.

Asked specifically about whether Wright would return, Browne said: “I’m still talking to him – but what has happened is we’ve built a really, durable structure behind him while he’s been away.

“So it’s looking at how he could fit into that, and I’m talking to him about that. That’s an ongoing discussion.

“I’m very happy with the structures we’ve got and I’m very happy with the people we’ve got in place to take this club forward for many, many years to come.”

Browne sounds delusional and is in denial.

In Today's HS..

It sounds like Wrighty is out the door.

Looks like the media are going to milk us for every story they can.

But yeah just like Dimma needed a break and then SURPRISE he is at Gold Coast. SImilar with Wrighty and Tassie. Both sides will give their version of events etc etc

Q

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the media are going to milk us for every story they can.

But yeah just like Dimma needed a break and then SURPRISE he is at Gold Coast. SImilar with Wrighty and Tassie. Both sides will give their version of events etc etc

Q

Media is Loving This

Makes there Job Easy

Not sure about that - my take was deadly serious about Club success and plotting a path to achieve it

Didn't we effectively go into this season minus one very important and highly credentialed employee in Wright?

I don't think we hired anyone new and chose instead to fill the vacancy from within by having people like Bolton and Leppitsch effectively doing new 1.5 roles each. To achieve this we took them away from the roles they played in a Premiership season.

Fresh off the high of a Premiership win and in the hope Wright would return to fill the general manager of football position most of us were prepared to wear it. That landscape has now changed.

After his comments today in the media it seems that Browne has all but ruled out Wright returning to fill the position he left. He left open the possibility a different role could be created, though if he's not prepared to be the GM and with Kelly a freshly minted CEO, I find it hard to see how any position could be viewed as career progression by Wright.

The last thing we need is some role created with a fancy title attached that doesn't make the best use of Wrights talents.

As it is you could argue we are already doing that this season with Leppitsch and Bolton.

If Wright isn't with us next season then we need to go out and find a GM of football with a resume of success like Wright.

If we wish to fulfill the position from within (Bolton?) then we need to go out and poach another quality assistant coach.

If we don't then we're still minus 1 from the collective talent pool that helped land us the 2023 flag, we're standing still and to me that smacks of complacency, it's the type of she'll be right attitude that eventually invaded the club before we got a long overdue reset at the end of 2017.

Over to you Jeff.

Time for actions not just words.

You can't read that article and what is reported as being Browne's words and not think that Wrighty is a longshot to return to the club.
This bit is pretty pointed about the AFL getting better at what it does (with Wright's help?)

"Frankly, the best thing that could happen to the football industry would be that he went into the AFL and sorted out all their problems in relation to how they administer the rules and how they could communicate better with the clubs. He would be a genius at that. If I am being ecumenical, I'd probably convince myself the best thing I could do would be to donate him to the AFL for the betterment of 18 clubs."

A couple of clear double standards I have noticed in the media.

1. Ginni carries on like a pork chop; hawthorn have double the free kicks drawn inside 50 than the next club .., yet now Ginni is a breath of fresh air and so are the Hawks.
2. I listen to SEN on my morning walk. Last year I was besieged in promos by Whateley’s call of the 2022 Gf call. At least 19 times a day. Lauding Chris Scott’s genius! This year I have barely heard anything of the like for the Pies.

That’s my rant and I should not be surprised. Ps I have worked in media for 35 years but it still frustrates me that the AFL narratives are coloured by supporters/ former players

Sounds like we aren't going to bother with drafts. That's a horrific idea.

Blokes we draft over the next 4 years won't have careers which overlap very much with JDG, Moore and Maynard. We're much better off trying to load up now and have a crack over the next 4 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back