News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Write me two sentences about either one of these people and why they will be difficult to replace.

It's not about whether they can be replaced and by whom

It's about why are so many leaving in one big group so soon after a flag?

That’s not all of them …

1 General Manager of Football Ops (Clare Pettyfor) left earlier in the year
1 In addition to the President, another board member is leaving

Shame on the president for having cancer, 76. Holgate's firm is under pressure at the moment. I think it's good that she passes the baton to someone with more spare time.

That’s not all of them …

Boards should have turnover. I think 3 year terms is fairly normal board practice. They’re not manidory in our case but they do provide an opportunity to refresh.

It's not about whether they can be replaced and by whom

It's about why are so many leaving in one big group so soon after a flag?
Except that one of them isn't leaving and one of them had already been pre-emptively replaced and yet you guys are sooking about it anyway, leaving no conclusion to be drawn other than the fact that you're just desperate to have a cry over something.

Several of them don't even require "excuses". Jeff Browne is extremely unwell. He's not leaving because something is wrong and it's kind of offensive to even use him as a point of validation in this conversation.

If someone leaving is a sign something is wrong, then surely the pre-emptive signing of Matthew Boyd is a sign that things are good?

Or does it only count when someone is leaving?

**** knows but the two significant FD departures - Wright and Bolton covered in higher roles with people away and then saw others employed in those higher roles. I wouldn't underestimate that as a reason for looking elsewhere.

**** knows but the two significant FD departures - Wright and Bolton covered in higher roles with people away and then saw others employed in those higher roles. I wouldn't underestimate that as a reason for looking elsewhere.
I presume you're right. But it's a layer of nuance not being considered by the chicken littles in this thread.

Except that one of them isn't leaving and one of them had already been pre-emptively replaced and yet you guys are sooking about it anyway, leaving no conclusion to be drawn other than the fact that you're just desperate to have a cry over something.

You're getting oddly aggressive for no real reason

No one is having a cry

But the club shouldn't be immune to criticism or legitimate questioning when genuinely odd things happen

You can bury your head in the sand and hand wave it all you want, but there's no world where it isn't odd that a decent chunk of your off field staff leave 12 months after a flag.

It's easy to forget that I think even Brendan McCartney left too (he was a part timer)

That’s not all of them …

Re Christine Holgate :

"I hope my passion for Collingwood has served it well. I am pleased that our Club is in a strong position and I look forward to continuing to support and contribute in my role as Chair of the Collingwood Community Foundation.”

And as for Clare Pettyfor, who cares if someone chooses to leave us to go that rabble of a club in a position Pert created for her?

Surely now some have to accept there's something amiss off field?

That's:

1 President
1 GMoF
1 Assistant
1 Dev coach

All 12 months after winning a flag. That feels like an extraordinary amount of change in some key roles so soon after a flag

I said elsewhere, Port Adelaide fans would envy this ability to lose/move on senior staff.

Their Bigfooty threads to sack Davies (CEO) and Cripps (list manager) actually started in 2018 & 19, to go with longer term sack Hinkley and Sack Koch threads.

Stagnant water attracts mosquitoes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely now some have to accept there's something amiss off field?

That's:

1 President
1 GMoF
1 Assistant
1 Dev coach

All 12 months after winning a flag. That feels like an extraordinary amount of change in some key roles so soon after a flag

Linked to Boak for new development coach if he retires which is this blokes job

Why wouldn't he be trying to find another job if Boak says yes

If someone leaving is a sign something is wrong, then surely the pre-emptive signing of Matthew Boyd is a sign that things are good?

Or does it only count when someone is leaving?

When things are going well, board, execs and senior leadership don’t usually have a high attrition rate. This year we’re having 2 Board, 2 execs and 1 senior leader leave the 2023 Premiers.

I don’t think Boyd is replacing any of those roles?

Sure, these things sometimes do naturally occur in rhythms. Maybe there’s nothing in it? It takes a while for these things to take effect (years).

The seeds for the 2023 Premiership were planted at the end of 2020.

So if in 3 years we find ourselves languishing in the doldrums whilst Wrighty is leading a renaissance at Calton, I promise that I will haunt you with my ranting 😀

Boards should have turnover. I think 3 year terms is fairly normal board practice. They’re not manidory in our case but they do provide an opportunity to refresh.

Yeah, fair call.

But as I’ve said all along, I’m not so worried about individuals. Natural attrition is healthy for reasons you mentioned.

It’s what is happening in the aggregate that I think is a bit worrying.

When things are going well, board, execs and senior leadership don’t usually have a high attrition rate. This year we’re having 2 Board, 2 execs and 1 senior leader leave the 2023 Premiers.

I don’t think Boyd is replacing any of those roles?
What is it with you ghouls continuing bringing up Jeff Browne leaving to focus on battling cancer? It's genuinely disgusting behaviour to keep bringing it up to try and win an argument.

Christine Holgate isn't leaving the club, she's just not seeking re-election to the board at the end of her term. "Chair of the Collingwood Community Foundation" doesn't really sound like she's dissatisfied with the club and is walking out.

These things are obvious, but you people are like a dog with a bone on these points, and refuse to acknowledge reason.

Who's the "senior leader" leaving? Bolton? Boyd IS replacing Bolton, because Bolton was still an assistant coach ultimately. I expect Hayden Skipworth, who was very close to getting a senior coaching job this year, will take on a more senior position within the coaching team.

Sure, you can make excuses for individuals …

… but when you find yourself making a lot of excuses for a lot of individuals, you need to ask what’s going on behind the scenes.
I think the pearl clutchers should actually be the ones who provide some reasoning behind their pearl clutching, beyond "well it's a lot of people!"4

Will they be hard to replace? Why? To what extent have they contributed to our success?

What is it with you ghouls continuing bringing up Jeff Browne leaving to focus on battling cancer? It's genuinely disgusting behaviour to keep bringing it up to try and win an argument.

You’re leaning into the health thing a lot more than Jeff Browne himself is? In his press statement he cited giving somebody else a go as much as a reason as focusing on his health. He’s been sick for quite a while and insisted he could continue to fill the role - which is reasonable - President is hardly a full time job, he’s technically only obliged to attend one board meeting a month + read board notes + attend whatever committee meetings he’s a part of.

TBH, I’ve never rated him, so I’m not fussed to see him go. Credit where it’s due, he brought in a major sponsor (AIA) and he increased the membership, but I didn’t see him do too much else. The chess pieces that won our 2023 Premiership were in place well before he became President.

Christine Holgate isn't leaving the club, she's just not seeking re-election to the board at the end of her term. "Chair of the Collingwood Community Foundation" doesn't really sound like she's dissatisfied with the club and is walking out.

These things are obvious, but you people are like a dog with a bone on these points, and refuse to acknowledge reason.

Who's the "senior leader" leaving? Bolton? Boyd IS replacing Bolton, because Bolton was still an assistant coach ultimately. I expect Hayden Skipworth, who was very close to getting a senior coaching job this year, will take on a more senior position within the coaching team.
Agree with this 100%.
We actually lost the GM a year ago.
We actually got ourselves into this perceived mess by not just moving on from GW.

So it's a pretty straight forward path from here IMO.

For the sake of continuity (because changing the voice will probably trigger people if you exited the conversation and I took your place), i'm going to let you continue to lead the charge and put your head up over the trench.

I'll just hang back and blow the whistle to send you over the top.....

You're keen to suggest the club is going down the toilet because he's leaving though, because that suits your purposes of finding something to complain about.

I’ve consistently said I’m more concerned about the aggregate than the individuals.

There’s a lot of people leaving and a lot of excuses being made about that.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back