News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely now some have to accept there's something amiss off field?

That's:

1 President
1 GMoF
1 Assistant
1 Dev coach

All 12 months after winning a flag. That feels like an extraordinary amount of change in some key roles so soon after a flag

Has he actually left?

That's:

1 President
1 GMoF
1 Assistant
1 Dev coach

All 12 months after winning a flag. That feels like an extraordinary amount of change in some key roles so soon after a flag

Only if you’re looking to fabricate a tragedy. The Pres was only ever short term and has well known health issues. Looks like he’s set the transition up before departing. Wrighty was always as likely to leave as stay when he took the sabbatical. Bolts wasn’t an assistant anymore. Who knows whether Singh is a loss or not.

Only if you’re looking to fabricate a tragedy. The Pres was only ever short term and has well known health issues. Looks like he’s set the transition up before departing. Wrighty was always as likely to leave as stay when he took the sabbatical. Bolts wasn’t an assistant anymore. Who knows whether Singh is a loss or not.
The usual catasrophisers and hand wringers will be out in force.

There definitely feels like there is an issue causing a high churn of staff at the moment.
It’s okay to change, but we had a winning formula, which was a losing formula very quickly
Started when we did not let Wright Go when he Asked for his Release

That's:

1 President
1 GMoF
1 Assistant
1 Dev coach

Doesn't concern me in the slightest.

We already know who will likely replace Browne who was never going to nominate for re-election this year.

We've been linked to Boak as development coach if he retires from footy.

All our assistant coaching roles are filled with the great appointment of Boyd.

I believe the only position we need to fill is GM & we've been speaking to many.

I think a refresh & new ideas is good for every club.

The thing is we didn't back it up the following year after a premiership (injuries etc obviously played a role) whilst all those people were still at the club, so maybe it is better if a few move on.

Last edited:
I’m going to say yes and no to the question of whether something is amiss.

No we can’t lump a president that was leaving no matter what and some fringe coaching staff into the narrative.

But yes there has been internal turnover that doesn’t come from nowhere. Starting with Wright wanting to become a CEO/ out of FD role Kelly/us knocking that back and Bolton and Leppa looking for growth, going for the new gig and Bolton leaving as a result of missing out.

My main concern isn’t on the business side to be honest and I think Leppa has had a good start in list management and hopefully made some new important connections on the way (eg Connors though people have to understand that we have to give others some wins at times too, can’t go full Dodoro as it backfires)

Main concern is whether we can replicate the phenomenal coaching group we had in 2023 with Fly/Leppa/Bolt/Skip. We’re getting some talent in with Boyd but it’s also a system thing: who’s best on the bench for live player feedback, who’s best in the box for tactical insights, who does the opposition camp analysis (was Leppa in 23 I think) etc. Fingers crossed Fly works well with the new guys.

Doesn't concern me in the slightest.

We already know who will likely replace Browne who was never going to nominate for re-election this year.

We've been linked to Boak as development coach if he retires from footy.

All our assistant coaching roles are filled with the great appointment of Boyd.

I believe the only position we need to fill is GM & we've been speaking to many.

I think a refresh & new ideas is good for every club.

The thing is we didn't back it up the following year after a premiership (injuries etc obviously played a role) with all those people at the club, so maybe it is better if a few move on.

I'm not saying change isn't good

But this feels like a lot of change immediately after success

I'm not saying change isn't good

But this feels like a lot of change immediately after success
You need to look at each position individually & their reasons.

The only person leaving who was likely disgruntled..was Wright.

We were always worried about other clubs wanting to poach people from our club after the premiership. They stayed together last year & for some their roles changed..again, due to Wright's situation.

It didn't work for Bolton, he's decided he now wants to go back to being an assistant.

I think we'll be more settled next year with people in the roles they actually want & have experience in.

Just need that gun GM appointment 🤞

That's:

1 President
1 GMoF
1 Assistant
1 Dev coach

Perhaps it's because of the flag - their values went up when they were involved in a flag - other opportunities arise.

I'm not worried, as long as we have Fly and Leppa. Theyre the two I rate highly!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just as a shower thought... I think I remember a few people being annoyed that we'd failed to get Chris Davies from Port Adelaide across to replace Graham Wright.

How are people feeling about that now, in the aftermath of the Port Adelaide trade debacle? Regardless of whether you think Port got reasonable value or not, agreeing to a deal, having the board step in to stop it, and then ending up doing the exact same deal, is an absolutely terrible look for the guy who's in charge of getting the deals done.
Oh, I thought that Chris must have already started working for us!!!!!

That's:

1 President
1 GMoF
1 Assistant
1 Dev coach

Harmit Singh is not a development coach. He's basically a glorified junior coach, looking after academy kids before they're actually on our list. Not hard to replace.

Jeff Browne is leaving as President because he has cancer and he's almost 70, and honestly it's kind of gross to even bring him up in a discussion about "something's wrong at Collingwood".

1 assistant coach is leaving when WE HAD ALREADY HIRED HIS REPLACEMENT. Matthew Boyd signed on a month ago, returning to the club after a few years with Justin Longmuir at Fremantle, which hardly suggests that things have gone badly.

Which leaves the GM of Football job, which it seems highly likely that the man who just delivered us Dan Houston when he entered the trade period without a first round pick, Justin Leppitsch, is going to step into the role.

So no. None of this is out of the ordinary, devastatingly unfixable, or representative of a systematic issue.

Harmit Singh is not a development coach. He's basically a glorified junior coach, looking after academy kids before they're actually on our list. Not hard to replace.

Jeff Browne is leaving as President because he has cancer and he's almost 70, and honestly it's kind of gross to even bring him up in a discussion about "something's wrong at Collingwood".

1 assistant coach is leaving when WE HAD ALREADY HIRED HIS REPLACEMENT. Matthew Boyd signed on a month ago, returning to the club after a few years with Justin Longmuir at Fremantle, which hardly suggests that things have gone badly.

Which leaves the GM of Football job, which it seems highly likely that the man who just delivered us Dan Houston when he entered the trade period without a first round pick, Justin Leppitsch, is going to step into the role.

So no. None of this is out of the ordinary, devastatingly unfixable, or representative of a systematic issue.
stop making sense!! The usual suspects have to go through their catastrophising, hand ringing and conspiracy theory rituals, or they wont be able to function properly.

That's:

1 President
1 GMoF
1 Assistant
1 Dev coach

That’s not all of them …

1 General Manager of Football Ops (Clare Pettyfor) left earlier in the year
1 In addition to the President, another board member is leaving

Sure, you can make excuses for individuals …

… but when you find yourself making a lot of excuses for a lot of individuals, you need to ask what’s going on behind the scenes.

That’s not all of them …

1 General Manager of Football Ops (Clare Pettyfor) left earlier in the year
1 In addition to the President, another board member is leaving
Write me two sentences about either one of these people and why they will be difficult to replace.

Sure, you can make excuses for individuals …

… but when you find yourself making a lot of excuses for a lot of individuals, you need to ask what’s going on behind the scenes.
Several of them don't even require "excuses". Jeff Browne is extremely unwell. He's not leaving because something is wrong and it's kind of offensive to even use him as a point of validation in this conversation.

If someone leaving is a sign something is wrong, then surely the pre-emptive signing of Matthew Boyd is a sign that things are good?

Or does it only count when someone is leaving?

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back