News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

He said he didn't want to be an assistant anymore though. And he wasn't last year.

Now he's done a backflip.

Seems he got the job he said he wanted & realised it wasn't what he wanted after all.

I'd rather we now employ people who know what they want & have experience in that role.

surely he's allowed to change his mind. wouldn't be the first person to take a job and realize its not a good fit.

Bolton leaving on the back of Wright isnt a good luck.

I feel like they're just waiting for Leppitsch to get the Houston deal done before the end of the trade period, so that then they can announce him in the role and point to the great job he did.

If we don't get Houston it'll go over like a fart at a funeral though.
I feel that the GM of footy isn't really a thing for us.
Certainly not how it is at other clubs where the GM is wearing many hats.

For us, it is more leadership and admin....it doesn't need football knowledge.

That's already handled between list / recruiting / coach / fitness positions.

So its really more about making sure we stay at the forefront in our thinking around how to run the department and invest in people / process.
Which requires absolutely no football knowledge.

I'll be interested to see which way this goes.

surely he's allowed to change his mind. wouldn't be the first person to take a job and realize its not a good fit.

Bolton leaving on the back of Wright isnt a good luck.
Of course he's allowed to change his mind.

My point being we gave him the opportunity in the footy department that he wanted. He's obviously realised it's not for him.

We have all our assistant coaching roles filled, so no spot for him with us.

Perhaps if Skipworth got the Eagles job, he may have got an assistant role back with us. But maybe he also wanted a fresh start elsewhere.

I'm not concerned at all about him leaving to become an assistant under Lyon.

Wright wanted Kelly's job. So no role for him with us either.

Of course he's allowed to change his mind.

My point being we gave him the opportunity in the footy department that he wanted. He's obviously realised it's not for him.

We have all our assistant coaching roles filled, so no spot for him with us.

Perhaps if Skipworth got the Eagles job, he may have got an assistant role back with us. But maybe he also wanted a fresh start elsewhere.

I'm not concerned at all about him leaving to become an assistant under Lyon.

Wright wanted Kelly's job. So no role for him with us either.
Getting Matthew Boyd back is a big plus.

I'm going to chalk it up as he and Leppa going for the same job (Wright's) and Leppitsch winning out, so Bolton moves on somewhere with more opportunity for advancement, and where he doesn't have to report to a guy that he was previously on level pegging with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just as a shower thought... I think I remember a few people being annoyed that we'd failed to get Chris Davies from Port Adelaide across to replace Graham Wright.

How are people feeling about that now, in the aftermath of the Port Adelaide trade debacle? Regardless of whether you think Port got reasonable value or not, agreeing to a deal, having the board step in to stop it, and then ending up doing the exact same deal, is an absolutely terrible look for the guy who's in charge of getting the deals done.

Just as a shower thought... I think I remember a few people being annoyed that we'd failed to get Chris Davies from Port Adelaide across to replace Graham Wright.

How are people feeling about that now, in the aftermath of the Port Adelaide trade debacle? Regardless of whether you think Port got reasonable value or not, agreeing to a deal, having the board step in to stop it, and then ending up doing the exact same deal, is an absolutely terrible look for the guy who's in charge of getting the deals done.
He's got Kochie doing an Eddie and sticking his nose into the footy manager's "bizzus".

Can he take Leppa with him?

Confused Excuse Me GIF by YoungerTV

I'd be fine getting Davies

It's easy to bag him but I doubt anyone knows the circumstances under which this deal had to happen.

If Dan desperately wants out and picks Collingwood what do you want them to do? This deal is almost as good as they could get given the context.

Surely now some have to accept there's something amiss off field?

That's:

1 President
1 GMoF
1 Assistant
1 Dev coach

All 12 months after winning a flag. That feels like an extraordinary amount of change in some key roles so soon after a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back