News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I was wondering about the non-binary mr/ms - I assume by what you wrote it's just M?

This from the ABC makes no sense to me at all:

Mr Cleaver, who is non-binary and described himself in his application as a First Nations person who is gay, in a same-sex relationship

The HUN had:

Mr
they/them
gay

In my post Savvy, the M stood for Mark. I often struggle to get it right so prefer to use the full name.

if his solicitors play that card they will look like fools (not that they would care). they opened pandora's box by leaking to the media and throwing fire on the situation.
The solicitor has already achieved HIS goal - publicity for him and his ambulance chasing firm. FMD, a boxing promoter might even be a little embarrassed trotting out this line of bullshit,

"There needs to be serious consequences and one of the most ultimate consequences would be a penalisation of premiership points, and I think it's something that the AFL should look at if these allegations are proven."

That is true, but if I engaged now in the type of banter that I did in the 80s, I'd be sacked.
A year ago I told an innocuous joke about a husband and wife, in our Lunch room as I was leaving to go to my office.
Half way to my desk I turned back to apologize incase I’d offended anyone.
You just never know now days - people are so easily offended.

I was wondering about the non-binary mr/ms - I assume by what you wrote it's just M?

This from the ABC makes no sense to me at all:

Mr Cleaver, who is non-binary and described himself in his application as a First Nations person who is gay, in a same-sex relationship

The HUN had:

Mr
they/them
gay
I wish I was non binary but there always seems to be more than one of me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's really bizarre isn't it?

I can't get my head around Kelly speaking like that to someone who is employed at the club to help drive the First Nations strategy at the club. Someone who identifies as non binary, gay, disabled & Indigenous.

That is some kind of dumb if any of this is remotely true.
Yes I shake my head also. Perhaps the club has internal benchmarks on DE&I which many organisations do. It sounds like the club had performance issues with this person quite early in the tenure (6 months) which would be outside of the probationary period. We don't know the details surrounding this person's performance, buts its apparent that he had engaged lawyers from the get-go, which is when the club terminated employment.

I would assume HR led this process and engaged their own legal advice throughout the process.

I'm cynical about the claims to be honest.

no piss taking? the world has got way too serious.
I didn't say no piss taking, ever 🙄..but surely you pick your time & crowd better than this.

It's almost unbelievable that Craig would be silly enough to speak like this to the person employed to ensure the club is welcoming & respectful. A person who identifies as non binary, gay, disabled & Indigenous...!

It just beggars belief that Kelly could be so ignorant & inappropriate. Even if he is known to be brash, a bloke's bloke, etc.

I didn't say no piss taking, ever 🙄..but surely you pick your time & crowd better than this.

It's almost unbelievable that Craig would be silly enough to speak like this to the person employed to ensure the club is welcoming & respectful. A person who identifies as non binary, gay, disabled & Indigenous...!

It just beggars belief that Kelly could be so ignorant & inappropriate. Even if he is known to be brash, a bloke's bloke, etc.
It’s one of the more hilarious “breaking news” type stories the industry has seen, IMO. Either Kelly’s ended a 35 year career in the industry or the club have employed one of the most creative liars in history. There really does seem to be no middle ground given the reviews that have so far cleared Kelly.

Could you imagine the plot twist of GW being welcomed back in an executive capacity late in 2024 with the club announcing a succession plan with Kelly over the course of 2025? I wouldn’t know what to believe, but it would be typically Collingwood at the very least.

One thing I will say for the allegations is how creative some of the storytelling is from the whistleblowers in cases such as this and the Hawthorn racism saga…

Collingwood has been dumped – “effective immediately” – as a partner of a leading First Nations support service in the wake of the Craig Kelly racism scandal.
Dardi Munwurro, an Indigenous family violence group, said the scandal engulfing the Pies and their chief executive had “left us no choice but to terminate our partnership with them effective immediately”.

The support group said the pain of the scandal was “simply too great to tolerate” and “causing great emotional and spiritual harm to us and our people”.

In explosive court documents filed in a federal court on Monday, Mr Kelly was accused of calling Aboriginal elder Aunty Carol — the wife of Dardi Munwurro chief executive Alan Thorpe — a “dumb old bitch”.

Dardi Munwurro has had a partnership with Collingwood since 2017.

“Throughout this time we have attempted to be as supportive as possible with the club as they have navigated their way through issues involving racism and their culture that led to the ‘Do Better’ report,” Dardi Munwurro said in a statement.

“However, recent media reports involving Collingwood have left us no choice but to terminate our partnership with them effective immediately.

“We want to make clear that we are not passing judgement on any individual at the club or the club itself, we understand the media reports are based on unproven allegations that relate to an ongoing court case and we respect this process.

“By making this statement we are in no way suggesting that the allegations are true, only that they have been made in documents before the court. However, the media coverage of this case has unfortunately included the naming of Dardi Munwurro and a highly respected Elder in the community.

“The unfortunate public exposure of some of these allegations also calls on us to reiterate that Dardi Munwurro is a family violence service for the First Nations community.

“Furthermore, we are deeply committed to supporting all women to feel safe and respected in the community. We encourage everyone in the community to take this stance. Dardi Munwurro will not be making any further comment about this issue.”

Court documents filed by lawyers for the club’s former head of First Nations strategy, Mark Cleaver, also detail how Mr Kelly is accused of joking about putting a “live f---ing possum” in a special room at the club for Indigenous players.

Mr Cleaver, a Palawa person, also claimed in the documents that Mr Kelly quipped “why do you need Google Maps, I assume your people can navigate with their eyes closed” and joked about sending a photograph of a ‘Free Palestine’ sign to a Jewish colleague to wind her up.

Claims Dardi Munwurro had not been paid $500,000 promised as part of a Collingwood sponsorship were included in the court claims.

However, Mr Thorpe this week said the financial matter had been resolved.

They have that choice. Fine.
But they don’t even want to find out if the allegations are totally false, partly false, or substantiated. They acknowledge that, so it seems strange they walk away.

Seems to me they saw an opportunity to walk away that makes them look justified in doing that, after their $500,000 donation was settled.

I am wondering if they have commitments as part of that deal that they don’t want to undertake.

Currently on the front page of The Age online:

It’ll be interesting to see where this takes the media because that’s the CSR way for that partner to handle this story. It’s akin to TAC pulling out after a number of players are alleged to have broken the law while behind the wheel. Gut feel it’s spun as “long term partners abandoning Collingwood following the CEO being embroiled in yet another racism saga”…

Currently on the front page of The Age online:

“We want to make clear that we are not passing judgement on any individual at the club or the club itself, we understand the media reports are based on unproven allegations that relate to an ongoing court case, and we respect this process,"

Why not wait until the process is concluded then decide, jumping the gun like a few posters on here

“We want to make clear that we are not passing judgement on any individual at the club or the club itself, we understand the media reports are based on unproven allegations that relate to an ongoing court case, and we respect this process,"

Why not wait until the process is concluded then decide, jumping the gun like a few posters on here

The support group said the pain of the scandal was “simply too great to tolerate” and “causing great emotional and spiritual harm to us and our people”.

Fair enough

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back