News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

So Wright exiting essentially because he's had a falling out with Kelly and told in April he wont be returning.

That reads like it wasn't him not being willing to return and resume his role as GM of football.

Sorry Craig but if it was a choice between you and him then Wright should have won out.

So Leppitsch and Bolton don't get on. Okay we won a flag under those conditions so fine but it was when both were in the coaches box. The roles they were head hunted for!

I can accept now that to retain Leppitsch 12 months ago he wanted to progress to a list management / football manager role. I can understand we needed someone to stand in for Wright so Bolton was acknowledged for his experience and got the gig.

It's a year later now however and while I'm interested to see how Leppitsch fares, the role created for Bolton (God I never tire at these titles) doesn't sound like a return to the coaches box.

Are we going to go out and look for another highly credentialed assistant like the above two were?

As it is the reigning Premier went into this season with a line coach rookie in Roughead taking on the defence, while the other two in Selwood and Skipworth both shared a line during our 2023 season. Are we at all surprised our structures and system looked a damn mess at times this season?

All together that's a lot of upheaval for a club who had just won the flag and as the club rightfully acknowledges now it was to much.
Next step - sort out what roles are required - get the best people to fill them and issue general instruction to leave ego at home if possible or at least in the car park

For those type of plays they have a kick rating and the data must suggest he fluffs his lines enough to be brought down a peg. Most don’t remember that because it’s overshadowed by the memory of him pulling it off. I guarantee Naicos would remember them and be working on it.

Where I land on it and as a punter I think not having Naicos in your AA team is an indicator that the parameters need tweaking. I imagine they’ll sit down and review it at year end because people with brains like his do that type of stuff. Being their livelihood and all they check bias’ unlike on here.
They issue they'll always have for inside mids is that different teams have different tactics for bailout territory kicks. Some will want it shorter to grass and others long - depending on how they set the forwards. So you don't know whether it was the right option or not unless you're part of the team.

They issue they'll always have for inside mids is that different teams have different tactics for bailout territory kicks. Some will want it shorter to grass and others long - depending on how they set the forwards. So you don't know whether it was the right option or not unless you're part of the team.
I agree, but I think the issue is primarily with kicking inside mids. Over the years the system hasn’t struggled with the likes of Neale, Oliver or Cripps, but the next two in on CD’s rankings this year were Warner and Naicos. Both guys are the prototype ball winner that wins it in the contest, they use their legs to create space and deliver (be it a dump kick or hit up target).

I’d suggest a tweak to the rating on a kick from a CP or clearance would be all it takes. The flip side is we just don’t know what the ramifications of that tweak might be. For instance Matt Crouch might jump from top 100 to top 20 because he wins so much contested ball. The system has always had quirks (do we all remember Cox being rated elite?) it just so happens that the 2024 model has thrown up the Naicis quirk.

Has something been reported today about off field Collingwood stuff? Or are people re-hashing what we already know?

I feel like I've missed something..
Just that article posted earlier.

For me it’s just more smoke around Kelly’s negative influence at the club. I’d be interested to know what he was trying to get Wright to do that Wright knocked back.

Written by our good friend, Caro.☹️

When I started reading it, I was apprehensive, thinking Oh God, what has she written about us this time?

But when I got to the end, I was unexpectedly positive. If the article is to be believed we are keeping both Leppa and Bolts. Tick. We have cash and time to plan well for ‘25. Tick. The worst of the Wright-related upheaval is over. Tick.

Unlike Caro to make me feel better after one of her Pies articles, and maybe she set out to dump on us. But I’m not sure she achieved that.

BTW, I am no Caro hater, and believe there is a place for her kind of journalism in footy.
Agree. I saw who wrote it & immediately thought, 'here we go, it will be all doom & gloom'..

I love that we're spending more on recruitment, that's definitely a positive.

Also a positive keeping Leppa & Bolton.

If Wright & Kelly weren't getting along, that's sorted too.

Just that article posted earlier.

For me it’s just more smoke around Kelly’s negative influence at the club. I’d be interested to know what he was trying to get Wright to do that Wright knocked back.
Just scrolled back & found it. Seems like most if not all the issues in that article have been dealt with now anyway.

Love that we're spending more on recruitment & keeping both Leppa & Bolton.

Caro's article is surprisingly reassuring.

Sounds like Leppa and Bolton will both stay on, and we've allocated more of our soft cap spend towards list management and recruiting.

The main concern is whether Kelly is interfering too much into football matters.

Caro's article is surprisingly reassuring.

Sounds like Leppa and Bolton will both stay on, and we've allocated more of our soft cap spend towards list management and recruiting.

The main concern is whether Kelly is interfering too much into football matters.
Its about time we spent more money on recruiting we have lost a couple of good people in that area and have not to my knowledge replaced them
Certainly need to spend more on our NGA and Father sons with Tassie coming into the comp
Development of these players will be very important

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Friction between Bolton and Leppitsch predates their current football roles, with the pair known to clash semi-regularly in the coaches box.

Didn’t know about that ^
That doesn't bother me so much as I like coaches with different robust views It worked well for us. I was more concerned with Ned meddling into football department roles

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree. I saw who wrote it & immediately thought, 'here we go, it will be all doom & gloom'..

I love that we're spending more on recruitment, that's definitely a positive.

Also a positive keeping Leppa & Bolton.

If Wright & Kelly weren't getting along, that's sorted too.
I would rather have kept Wright than Kelly. Loved Kelly as a player but getting bad vibes from him as an administrator.

I would rather have kept Wright than Kelly. Loved Kelly as a player but getting bad vibes from him as an administrator.
Nah. Kelly is very good as was Wright. To me Wright is doing what is right for himself. Going after the big dollars now.
He would have left anyway. Probably Tassie or AFL job.
No big deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back