News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Another post from Facebook:

Here’s a photo of the historic 1902 VFL Grand Final, played at the MCG on this day, 20 September, that year. It was the first VFL Grand Final played at the ground.
The previous Grand Finals were played at the Junction Oval , Lake Oval or the East Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Collingwood defeated Essendon 9.6.60 to 3.9.27 in front of 35,202 spectators.
(Source MCG)
With thanks to our friends at The Lost History Of Melbourne/Victoria & Its Pioneers.
1727340820809.jpeg

Here’s a photo of the historic 1902 VFL Grand Final, played at the MCG on this day, 20 September, that year. It was the first VFL Grand Final played at the ground.
The previous Grand Finals were played at the Junction Oval , Lake Oval or the East Melbourne Cricket Ground.
(Source MCG)
With thanks to our friends at The Lost History Of Melbourne/Victoria & Its Pioneers.
View attachment 2122683
I love that there used to be trees inside the ground back then. Would love to be allocated a branch for a GF rather than a seat. :tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(Source MCG)
View attachment 2122683
Awesome. I'd love to travel back to that time and be amongst the crowd and hear the comments and the noise when the Pies are kicking goals. I think there'd be the same characters we have today at a big game.

Awesome. I'd love to travel back to that time and be amongst the crowd and hear the comments and the noise when the Pies are kicking goals. I think there'd be the same characters we have today at a big game.
Absolutely. Im always fascinated by the sporting era of the 1920s and 30s. Imagine watching the Pies win 4 flags in a row, then watching Phar Lap during the Spring and Bradman bat during Summer. 😍

Absolutely. Im always fascinated by the sporting era of the 1920s and 30s. Imagine watching the Pies win 4 flags in a row, then watching Phar Lap during the Spring and Bradman bat during Summer. 😍
There's an 18 minute clip featuring crowds at games in a round back in 1969 and one of them is at Victoria Park. I was back in my boyhood standing on beer cans and breathing in the delicious scent of beer and tobacco in the air. I'll dig it up for you-it's fascinating and very evocative.

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back