News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I couldn't give a rodent's ar&e who's footy boss, who reports to them, who they report to and what their credit card limit is..
Just win flags!!

Sure, you could say the same thing about the coach and players?

Of course we’d all merrily trade the Daicos Brothers if it meant winning flags … not.

We traded out Treloar, Stephenson, Philips and <checks history> some superstar by the name of Bosenavulagi, and a bunch of the supporter base wanted to burn the joint down over it …

…and yet 3 years later we won a Premiership.

This talk of us chasing Bartel for the Wright role - I don’t get it.

Wright was one of the most experienced club operators when we finally enticed him back to the club. Years of experience at Hawthorn, etc.

Whereas Bartel has exactly zero experience in this or a similar role. He’s been a player, a media person, and a GWS board member. Am I missing something? And what makes him better than other numerous ex-footballers we could chase with similar limited experience in club land? Luke Ball comes to mind.

Finally, I thought the Wright job was sought after, and that our own Bolton and Leppa were after it. Am I wrong again? Can’t see them being happy about Bartel being parachuted into the position.

I really dont understand football club hierarchies.

It's the added extras.

We're trying to be a family club in a social media age. Are any other candidates married to social influencers who snort cocaine at illegal parties. It could come in handy.

It's the added extras.

We're trying to be a family club in a social media age. Are any other candidates married to social influencers who snort cocaine at illegal parties. It could come in handy.

Bartel certainly isn’t. Unless he has gone two for two.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bartel certainly isn’t. Unless he has gone two for two.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Damn it - there goes our recruiting advantage. In terms of pitching to 20-30 year olds - Jimmy and Nadia with coke would have well and truly trumped Wright and his wife with red wine.

Last edited:
It's the added extras.

We need a donut or a kebab van - maybe a ferris wheel 🛞 🎡 out the front of Pie HQ - that would certainly make some think twice about choosing Geelong

Not sure if Simon Lloyd wants to return to a GM of football role but he was Geelong's back in 22.

His time at the Cats ended abruptly this year after he had transitioned to a general manager of commercial projects position.

From the looks of it, the structure we are wanting to run with is now very different to what it was under GW.

He basically just took everything. GM Footy, List manager, CEO......
so if he heads to the blues, will he be able to avoid the footy stuff? Find that pretty unlikely.

His desire to take on everything without finding a replacement has actually contributed to us being beholden to a single person....never a good thing.

The GM role we're looking for is really cut down.
If Bolts is doing leadership & Leppa does list and Dekka (or someone) doing scouting, then the GM Footy is more about ops and supporting structure.
Focusing more on inward facing elements of the FD than it being about players that those aspects that people outside the club see.

Compared to the workload GW had, it would be significantly narrower and therefore more focussed.

Good thing in my book.

From the looks of it, the structure we are wanting to run with is now very different to what it was under GW.

so if he heads to the blues, will he be able to avoid the footy stuff? Find that pretty unlikely.

His desire to take on everything without finding a replacement has actually contributed to us being beholden to a single person....never a good thing.

If Bolts is doing leadership & Leppa does list and Dekka (or someone) doing scouting, then the GM Footy is more about ops and supporting structure.
Focusing more on inward facing elements of the FD than it being about players that those aspects that people outside the club see.

Compared to the workload GW had, it would be significantly narrower and therefore more focussed.

Good thing in my book.
Big whack out of footy dept money for all those salaries. Are coaches salaries taken out of the same (football dept) pool?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This talk of us chasing Bartel for the Wright role - I don’t get it.

Wright was one of the most experienced club operators when we finally enticed him back to the club. Years of experience at Hawthorn, etc.

Whereas Bartel has exactly zero experience in this or a similar role. He’s been a player, a media person, and a GWS board member. Am I missing something? And what makes him better than other numerous ex-footballers we could chase with similar limited experience in club land? Luke Ball comes to mind.

Finally, I thought the Wright job was sought after, and that our own Bolton and Leppa were after it. Am I wrong again? Can’t see them being happy about Bartel being parachuted into the position.

I really dont understand football club hierarchies.
There was an article in The Age some weeks ago (can't remember the author) stated that Leppa was interested in list management (which he is now doing) and that stated the Board did not feel Bolton had the exposure/ experience to do the GM of Football role and that the Pies would go to the market

It appears to be a tough gig trying to keep President's and CEO's from interfering in football department issues

The club has had no luck with the 3 people they have approached to date. It will be interesting to watch transpires from here

A prominent poster (Rudeboy) on Nicks/ EBW posted this week "It was conveyed to me today, from a very reliable source, that Wright clashed with Kelly because Wright wanted Kelly to be totally removed from interfering in the football department. He also was expecting to be transitioned to CEO of our club in 3 yrs. The Board decided to back Kelly not Wright. I strongly fear they backed the wrong horse"

Fox Footy reported some months ago that Bartel had resigned from the GWS Board effective the EOS. Fox attempted to qualify his experience with "Bartel first joined the Giants board late in 2018 and was said to have played a key role in the club’s list management calls and coaching decisions as well as the restructuring of its football department" Melbourne is reportedly interested in him to lead their culture change.

Good thing in my book.
Soft cap will be an issue though. We'll be paying a lot for someone to essentially just oversee and provision the footy department line managers. Seems more efficient and smarter to have the list manager/footy boss role combined into one salary. It will probably cost us a development coach or recruiting funds.

There was an article in The Age some weeks ago (can't remember the author) stated that Leppa was interested in list management (which he is now doing) and that stated the Board did not feel Bolton had the exposure/ experience to do the GM of Football role and that the Pies would go to the market

It appears to be a tough gig trying to keep President's and CEO's from interfering in football department issues

The club has had no luck with the 3 people they have approached to date. It will be interesting to watch transpires from here

A prominent poster (Rudeboy) on Nicks/ EBW posted this week "It was conveyed to me today, from a very reliable source, that Wright clashed with Kelly because Wright wanted Kelly to be totally removed from interfering in the football department. He also was expecting to be transitioned to CEO of our club in 3 yrs. The Board decided to back Kelly not Wright. I strongly fear they backed the wrong horse"

Fox Footy reported some months ago that Bartel had resigned from the GWS Board effective the EOS. Fox attempted to qualify his experience with "Bartel first joined the Giants board late in 2018 and was said to have played a key role in the club’s list management calls and coaching decisions as well as the restructuring of its football department" Melbourne is reportedly interested in him to lead their culture change.
What culture change? Does Pert know about this? He said Dee's have the best culture he's ever seen...

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back