News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, Dunnings. Now the site of the Harp carpark and Stephen Silvagni's coffee shop.
East Kew used to be a bit of a mini Cwood pocket - upwardly mobile people had moved up the Studley Park hill - couldn't afford Kew proper so settled for East Kew - it's a well located spot

What does a footy boss do? What part of their role requires them to know much about football?

They don’t have to do anything on the field - we have players to do that.

They don’t have to teach skills - we have assistants to do that.

They don’t have to come up with game plans - we have a senior coach that does that.

They don’t have to do player recruitment - we have a draft and list management team that does that.

The footy boss is an executive role, a strategic role. Their job is big picture. What is the vision / mission? Do the staff understand and have buy-in to the vision / mission? Yeah of course it’s to win games of footy and Premierships, but that’s no different to the other 17 teams and that’s the ‘what’. There’ll be a strategic element of the ‘how’ to go with it (eg: “Side by side”)

This is very normal in industry (eg: when Holgate went to Australia Post what did she know about delivering the mail given she’d come from a vitamins company?)

Advantages of recruiting from outside of the AFL …
  • Wider selection pool
  • Possibility of attracting quality people who come from an industry that doesn’t pay as well as the AFL
  • Probably lower risk of them being a micro manager
  • Cross pollination of ideas from other disciplines. If you have a candidate who has achieved huge success by running an innovation program, why wouldn’t you want that person at your footy club?
Personally, I struggle to see why it's even a necessary role. Why can't Head Coach, List manager, Fitness boss and Recruiting boss answer directly to the CEO? With non-footy extras shifted outside of the footy department and footy department tax.

Personally, I struggle to see why it's even a necessary role. Why can't Head Coach, List manager, Fitness boss and Recruiting boss answer directly to the CEO? With non-footy extras shifted outside of the footy department and footy department tax.
Can see how easy it would be for disagreements to arise & competing ego's to flare with so many head honcho's.

We see this artefact in modern AFL by the umpire signaling in the opposite direction for a free kick to what they would do in all other sports. I’ve always wondered about the origins of this? ( 35Daicos , you wouldn’t happen to know?)
I've never known why they do that in our game, but have always been curious! I also don't know when it started - perhaps it's always been that way?!

This chap was a boundary umpire in the AFL (and WAFL) for quite a few years, and gave this answer to the question some time back:
1728704289482.png

(2) It shows that one of the more bizarre peculiarities of AFL football has been around for a while. In every other sport on the planet, the “goal” is considered a teams attacking objective. AFL is different, the “goal” is what a team defends. Here we see Collingwood’s most prolific goal scorer lining up in front of “GEELONG GOAL”

In my experience you’ve got this completely the wrong way around.

In soccer the goal is definitely described as belonging to the defensive team, as is the territory (“Manchester United haven’t been able to get the ball out of their own half” for example would be describing United having to defend constantly).

Similarly in the NFL all the measurements use the defensive team (i.e. the ball being on Green Bay’s 20 would mean it is 20 yards from their defensive end zone). Same goes for the different forms of rugby as well. In all cases this no doubt arises from having offside rules which mean that each team lines up on ‘their’ side of the field.

In the AFL by the look of that old record we used to do the same, but nowadays if a commentator says the ball hasn’t left Collingwood’s half or it’s at the Collingwood end they would certainly be describing the attacking side.

In my experience you’ve got this completely the wrong way around.

In soccer the goal is definitely described as belonging to the defensive team, as is the territory (“Manchester United haven’t been able to get the ball out of their own half” for example would be describing United having to defend constantly).

Similarly in the NFL all the measurements use the defensive team (i.e. the ball being on Green Bay’s 20 would mean it is 20 yards from their defensive end zone). Same goes for the different forms of rugby as well. In all cases this no doubt arises from having offside rules which mean that each team lines up on ‘their’ side of the field.

In the AFL by the look of that old record we used to do the same, but nowadays if a commentator says the ball hasn’t left Collingwood’s half or it’s at the Collingwood end they would certainly be describing the attacking side.

If my objective is to drive from my home to the MCG …

… my goal is the MCG, but that doesn’t preclude my home still belonging to me. I’m travelling toward my goal.

So whilst MU may have the ball stuck in “their half”, MU’s goal is still at the other end of the pitch. They’re kicking toward their goal.

That old footy record shows that “Collingwood goal” is the end that they’re defending. And, as you say “Collingwood’s half” refers to Collingwood’s attacking 50. It’s all ass about face compared with soccer.

The modern rules of the game don’t seem to refer to a team’s goal (maybe they studiously avoid it to avoid confusion). Eg: they describe the toss of the coin as the captain pointing in the direction their team attacks in the first quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back