Collingwood out of Cousins race

Remove this Banner Ad

scottwade

Premiership Player
Feb 23, 2006
around
AFL Club
Sydney
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/magpies-out-of-cousins-race/2008/10/16/1223750232347.html

COLLINGWOOD has withdrawn from the race to recruit Ben Cousins, leaving St Kilda as the hot favourite to secure him if the AFL clears him to resume his career.
Cousins' manager, Ricky Nixon, confirmed last night that the Magpies had informed him that they would not be pursuing Cousins in the draft — a decision believed to based on a raft of reasons, including the club's preference for youth, concerns about injury and his well-documented issues with drugs and even the potential impact on sponsorship in the current environment.

Who was the non-Vic club that was mentioned the other day? Anyone know?

According to the Hun. Brisbane.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24508404-661,00.html
St Kilda remains in the box seat to draft Cousins, with Brisbane also believed to have expressed an interest.

The Age confirms certainly not Sydney.

Sydney chief executive Myles Baron-Hay said yesterday the Swans were not interested in recruiting Cousins either. "If there is a race on (for Cousins') services, we are not in it," he said.

At least hutchy is now vindicated in his attack on the the shock jock in the west with his ridiculous statement that Cuz would definitely play at collingwood next year.

Maybe it was the PI that finished it off or the recent photo of him having lunch with Kizon's brother. Eddie doesn't like it when a player has a scaly mate hanging around.

As posted on the pies forum (just came on the sun website)

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24508404-11088,00.html

(Thanks rusdid24)

Pretty much the Sun says that the Pies met with Christine Nixon (Victorian Police Chief Commissioner) and discussed the issue, etc....Not confirmed but most likely...Pretty much the Pies didn't want the risk of relapse so they would rather invest in youth

[quote=CouchPotato;12832002]At least hutchy is now vindicated in his attack on the the shock jock in the west with his ridiculous statement that Cuz would definitely play at collingwood next year.

Maybe it was the PI that finished it off or the recent photo of him having lunch with Kizon's brother. Eddie doesn't like it when a player has a scaly mate hanging around.[/quote]

The irony and stupidity in this statement is amazing.

Me thinks someone with zero credibility has no reason for vindication:rolleyes:

My God I ****ing hate Collingwood sometimes, and this is one of those moments.

It's not so much that it's Ben Cousins, it's that an absolute gun has come onto the market in the one area we really need one (midfield), clearly wants to come to Collingwood, and we pull out not for on-field reasons but because he's a "risk" to our good blokes policy which clearly isn't working given we've probably had more off-field "incidents" (whether they be media sensationalised or not)

It's a weak, pathetic, gutless decision by a football club that I'm starting to believe will never be able to make the hard enough decisions to ever win a flag in my lifetime. It's depressing.

But hey, I"m sure Alan Toovey has more chance of giving 3 years of good to great service than Ben Cousins is, right?

Cue the teeth gnashing and wailing from the BF collingwood supporters ...they have had him signed and running around in the black and white for the last 3 months on here.

Good move by Collingwood IMO ..Cousins risk factor is just too high.

They dont believe he's clean and they dont believe he's a good risk. Basically, they dont believe him.

Good on them for doing the due diligence. At the end of the day they have done the same amount of risk assessment as they would on a potential recruit who had a chronic knee injury. Different type of investigation of course, but no less thorough.

Shame, he would have been good but clearly he hasnt passed the test.

Time to move on and look for the next smokie, as per Tyson Goldsack or Sean Rusling.

Cue the teeth gnashing and wailing from the BF collingwood supporters ...they have had him signed and running around in the black and white for the last 3 months on here.

Good move by Collingwood IMO ..Cousins risk factor is just too high.
What risk factor is that? That he'll **** up season one and only play 4-5 games?

I think the risk of that is equivalent to, or less equivalent to, pick 46 (or pick 10 in the PSD) being no good and not playing at all, or only a handful of ordinary games. The potental upside is much greater IMO, with the chances of the Pies picking up an A grade midfielder with this pick approaching zero.

Last time we had this choice, it was Camporeale or a kid. We went the kid, Iles, yet I'd say that given Campo played at least one good game at Essendon, we still made the wrong choice. We took the "safe" option that was simply the weak option.

And Cousins is a 10x better footballer than Campo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My God I ****ing hate Collingwood sometimes, and this is one of those moments.

It's not so much that it's Ben Cousins, it's that an absolute gun has come onto the market in the one area we really need one (midfield), clearly wants to come to Collingwood, and we pull out not for on-field reasons but because he's a "risk" to our good blokes policy which clearly isn't working given we've probably had more off-field "incidents" (whether they be media sensationalised or not)

It's a weak, pathetic, gutless decision by a football club that I'm starting to believe will never be able to make the hard enough decisions to ever win a flag in my lifetime. It's depressing.

But hey, I"m sure Alan Toovey has more chance of giving 3 years of good to great service than Ben Cousins is, right?

I agree completely. All they'd have to do is extend the holding cells at the Lexus centre to house another inmate. It would also give Didak, Shaw and co have someone to party with.

Last time we had this choice, it was Camporeale or a kid. We went the kid, Iles, yet I'd say that given Campo played at least one good game at Essendon, we still made the wrong choice. We took the "safe" option that was simply the weak option..

I'd have taken a risk on Iles a million times before a washed up hack like Camporeale. For every Iles that fails there are many other late picks, PSD picks, and rookie picks, that make the grade. There are very few Camporeale types that provide anything more than one years service.

Personally I think Collingwood's actions in dealing with this issue have been reprehensible.

I would hope both the AFL & the AFLPA take the issue further.
why? because they performed due diligence and received advice from elsewhere?
its like any other person going for a job, people make enquiries etc to those in the know. big ****en deal?

Personally I think Collingwood's actions in dealing with this issue have been reprehensible.

Hopefully no one bites at this. Poor effort.

Edit: Too late, someone did.

Hopefully no one bites at this. Poor effort.

Edit: Too late, someone did.

Rather than wasting my time responding to someone who clearly is incapable of thinking beyond a headline, I'll simply repost what I posted on Saintsational :

I can understand why Nixon would be ticked with Collingwood.

Leaking the information they had a private D following him and now suggesting he's too big a risk leads people to a conclusion that damages his reputation further without a shred of evidence.

Personally I think the AFL & the AFLPA should be investigating Collingwood's actions in this because I reckon it's reprehensible in the circumstances.

Collingwood are well within their rights doing their so-called due-dilligence, but that isn't the issue here. They feel like they're losing the battle so let's tarnish his reputation.

Pity the very same club didn't do it's due dilligence when they backed a known liar by belittling anyone that questioned what was an obvious lie.

does he have a repuation that is even worth tarnishing? he can't even help himself in that regard. i don't think i have seen him once declare himself clean, he always dances around the question in a poltical-esque fashion.

maybe the pies are doing him a favour, sending him back with gardi, maybe he can set him straight :rolleyes:

does he have a repuation that is even worth tarnishing? he can't even help himself in that regard. i don't think i have seen him once declare himself clean, he always dances around the question in a poltical-esque fashion.

I don't know if you've ever had a family member or friend deal with addiction, but the stuff Cousins has been saying is actually reflective of the attitude of someone who is truly on the path to recovery.

Any addict that comes straight out and says they will never use drugs again clearly has not fully come to terms with the nature of addiction.

Yes indeed!!! This is getting beyond a joke. If this is true that Christine Nixon spoke AT ALL about this, it is a major investigation in itself. I find it amazing that they would entertain this when Victorians couldn't even watch Underbelly for fear of compromising a trial of two guys that weren't even named in the show!!!

Again, and I know it sounds like a WA V Vic thing, but why would you talk to the head of the Victorian Police about a WA bloke. Is it because they have looser lips?? I still find it unbelievable that a VICTORIAN drug dealer being IMPORTANT enough to be taped by the VICTORIAN police for HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of hours, only had 3 high profile WESTERN AUSTRALIAN clients???

I hope someone gets to the bottom of this because Cousins has only ever been found guilty of a traffic infringement, but is seeming to get less rights than rapists and murderers.:confused:

maybe the pies are doing him a favour, sending him back with gardi, maybe he can set him straight :rolleyes:

Thank you for your quality input into the discussion and showing a perfect example of why Collingwood's actions are so questionable in the circumstances.

I don't know if you've ever had a family member or friend deal with addiction, but the stuff Cousins has been saying is actually reflective of the attitude of someone who is truly on the path to recovery.

Any addict that comes straight out and says they will never use drugs again clearly has not fully come to terms with the nature of addiction.

fair enough then, wasn't aware of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood out of Cousins race

Remove this Banner Ad

Back