List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

Laconic -
(of a person, speech, or style of writing) using very few words.
"his laconic reply suggested a lack of interest in the topic"

If you said Johnson's shots at goal are laconic it would kind of make sense (although that would still be erroneous). Laconic does not mean laid-back or any synonym of that. Whomever started it in the sporting sense can get in the bin.
There's always a lag between a word's usage changing and a dictionary definition describing that change. In Australian sport, laconic has come to mean laid back, or appearing to lack urgency.

If they weren't such a good club, it could go the other way with them losing kids to the bright lights of the city.

Credit to them for turn living in Geelong as to some sort of advantage.

However, they surely have deals cooking on the side?

As an Essendon supporter at work pointed out - Surely Thompson and Dank were up to mischief at Geelong?

As an Essendon supporter at work pointed out - Surely Thompson and Dank were up to mischief at Geelong?
The whole AFL has had dodgy operators in it. Every club has done something they shouldn't have. It's professional sport with a goal to make money and win. Big business and politics with sport an added extra. Everyone likes to think the AFL is an honest organisation and everybody in it works and plays by the rules.

I

I like your thinking… but they don’t have such a pick and I think they’re tied to using the future 2023 1st Rounder.
With their midfield about to qualify for OAP status they may value Bruhn more…
I did suggest 2nd Round 2022 & 2023 most likely our best outcome… or as you suggest… PSD that way and don’t let the door hit you on the way out
I imagine they'll get an exception to be able to trade out the future pick given that its likely to result in 2 previous first round selections from only 2 years ago

Jayden Hunt worth a look at for our backline?

McCrae has reinvigorated the squad - Sidey and Pendles looked cooked last year.
No reason why McCrae couldn’t achieve the same with Grundy.
Also, he may not have enjoyed playing under Buckley.

Talent is permanent, form is temporary.
100% agree it’s all in the head, I think the contract size is one of the issues…increased contract comes with higher expectations that would be weighing on him. It has killed many careers across all sports.

You see that's where we disagree sr.

Bomber and a certain doctor were there before Essendon and they bulked up in exactly the same manner as Essendon.

I'm not a believer in that much coincidence.
So players want to go to Geelong because the players were able to bulk up on drugs years ago but now they can't? Pretty good drugs if players are still holding their bulk from the alleged original shots after all this time.

We do, because it's an acceptance that it was a bad deal that will cost 1.5 million to get out of. But if we don't, then we are continuing to invest 5 million on pure hope that there's a turnaround and somehow we get our money's worth.

Put it this way, if in 2020 we had signed Grundy on that same contract, then immediately realised our mistake and paid him a million to break it right there and then, we would financially be better off right now. If we paid him a million to break it after the first year we would now be better off and so on....

This isn't even taking into account if the contract is backloaded in the last couple of years. Our best move is to pay out as much of 1.5 million tax as soon as possible and move on. The only question seems to be is what monetary value does the club place on draft picks.

I can understand that but the part I struggle with from a purely financial/numbers view is that there is a player that goes out and a player/s that comes in. On the field there needs to be a clear improvement in output to justify that decision. Say Grundy is on 950k and we pay 300k of his salary, is a 650k player likely to improve on Grundy's output? I'm not so sure.

Exactly the same circumstances played out at Geelong that played out at Essendon and the identical principals were also there at that time.

Too many coincidences for me.

Last edited:

Deterioration is permanent… Grundy looks cooked. Slow lumbering big man, who has already put his body through a lot, and now gone and put on more weight. Mind also doesn’t seem 100% invested in the game anymore. Reckon GW knows this and is getting value whilst he can. Good move, but should’ve been done two years ago, when we probably could’ve landed pick 2 from Adelaide…

According to the AFL website the Suns may be willing to offer pick 7 & Jack Bowes as part of a salary dump deal.
Bowes has 2 years left on his contract.
He's described as a mid turned defender, another one who can't get into the Suns stacked midfield.
I wonder what sort of deal we could get on Bowes & Fiorini.
Pick 7 would be a nice enticement.
Now we are finally catching up to the elite international sports. The club with foreward thinking that masters the value of monetary trades will have an advantage over all others.

For instance - this is off the top of my head - the club pays the 300k of Grundy's salary netting about pick 15. Then take the 600k left in the TTP from Grundy's wage next year and get Bowes and the early first. In the short term (only 2 years) we've overpaid for a player and are paying another not to play for us. In the long term we have turned Grundy's deal into 2 first round picks and Jack Bowes. That's without even going into what can be done by moving on those picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deterioration is permanent… Grundy looks cooked. Slow lumbering big man, who has already put his body through a lot, and now gone and put on more weight. Mind also doesn’t seem 100% invested in the game anymore. Reckon GW knows this and is getting value whilst he can. Good move, but should’ve been done two years ago, when we probably could’ve landed pick 2 from Adelaide…
The determining factor is Fly is committed to the pinnacle and Grundy will accept it but won't be devastated if it doesn't happen.

The two attitudes are incompatible.

You're blaming Bucks for Gundy playing ordinary?

I thought they had a man crush on each other.

This article is similar to the one on the Fox Footy webpage. Basically with the salary dump, clubs are basically buying pick 7. GC's cap must be in a bad way
Yep just shows that this isn't a 'Collingwood failure".

I said we were the first but would be far from the last at the time of Treloar's departure.

Those with agendas against the club about this issue need to get over it and realize this is the new normal.

I said we were the first but would be far from the last at the time of Treloar's departure.

Those with agendas against the club about this issue need to get over it and realize this is the new normal.

Why should we just accept the club fcked up the cap? Does anyone outside footy get a pass for messing up their job that bad?

The other thing with the Jackson trade is the Dee's are looking for two first rounders. I heard Freo are looking to get another clubs first rounder involved to facilitate the Jackson trade. If they can in fact get that done the Dee's will have two first rounders and will probably give us their later first rounder regardless of how much we pay.

Grundy is most likely gone but I do think we could all survive if he stayed and missed out on Hill and and McStay (even though grundy will get traded and we will get these two). Frampton would be so cheap we could get him regardless.

If Henry goes, maybe we could get a current/future first or Narkle and a 2nd rounder back. It seems that Narkle who is 24 would be comparable to Fiorini and could play as a small forward. I also think Hunter Clark (who really is a midfielder and classy one at that at 23 years of age) for a future second is a pretty good get for North, why wouldn't we pick that up.

Looking like you’re right. They did say at the time we weren’t the only club. Look at Carlton, how they can keep attracting players on big money is beyond me.

Why should we just accept the club fcked up the cap? Does anyone outside footy get a pass for messing up their job that bad?
I'm far from arguing against a failure by the club but can't you see beyond that?

My issue is with the treatment of Adam which was simply disgraceful.

The rest was the first sighting of the circumstances that now dominate the trading landscape.

We were overextended with contract juggling at the time Covid hit - and we weren't the only ones but we were vulnerable and took it in the neck.

I don't scream incompetence like so many - I seethe quietly at an unsupportable attack on a loyal player that played out publicly.

The rest is happenstance.

There's always a lag between a word's usage changing and a dictionary definition describing that change. In Australian sport, laconic has come to mean laid back, or appearing to lack urgency.
Only because so many that write about football have almost no comprehension of the meanings of the words they use, and not much idea about the language in general.

Laconic -
(of a person, speech, or style of writing) using very few words.
"his laconic reply suggested a lack of interest in the topic"

If you said Johnson's shots at goal are laconic it would kind of make sense (although that would still be erroneous). Laconic does not mean laid-back or any synonym of that. Whomever started it in the sporting sense can get in the bin.

I'm listening to Hardcore History and just learnt the history behind the word yesterday. Was fascinating to realise that the Spartans spoke in such economic and impactful language that the word laconic, coming from Laconia, the region incorporating Sparta, is still used over 2000 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back