List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

I am not suggesting he has performed poorly, rather that we haven't done anything other than procure McStay, who was always going to be ours for a modest fee and Hill. We're still waiting on movement in the low level trade to secure Frampton. Henry and Grundy are likely to be his major tests. If the guy is a genius, this is not a draft which seems likely to allow him to display the full array of powers available to him.
I think he's filling list gaps with a tight cap but it can be dangerous to compare him with what Grelong are doing, They are having an unbelievable trade period.

Maybe we think too highly of GW... I'm not sure he's a genius but perhaps just a good operator. Seems out expectations on BF are high.

But as you say we don’t need the later picks. We already have about 17 third rounders we probably won’t take to the draft and could use to trade in these players .

I’m all for a sweetener but 2022 third round picks aren’t going to help. Not sure they will help us move far up the order either...

Remembering we also have a pick in the 20’s coming in for Grundy that leaves us with 16, and two picks in the 20s should we accept the Henry offer. Combined with 40 50 and 51 we might be able to shuffle up the order if we are only intending on going in live with two picks.... not sure how far though. Probably better with three live picks
Grundy pick will be going to Hawks in the Mitchell trade I think. But should get Pick 25 from Suns with Fiorini for a 3rd rounder?

But as you say we don’t need the later picks. We already have about 17 third rounders we probably won’t take to the draft and could use to trade in these players .

I’m all for a sweetener but 2022 third round picks aren’t going to help. Not sure they will help us move far up the order either...

Remembering we also have a pick in the 20’s coming in for Grundy that leaves us with 16, and two picks in the 20s should we accept the Henry offer. Combined with 40 50 and 51 we might be able to shuffle up the order if we are only intending on going in live with two picks.... not sure how far though. Probably better with three live picks
Also need to get back into the second and third round next year to replace Hill and potential Frampton swaps

The only players on the list GW hasn’t re-contracted are Adams, Grundy and maybe Crisp. Any issues we now have are his own doing.

FWIW I think he’s playing a decent hand (we’re a little light on for picks this year) extremely well to this point and the only reason to pause has been the McStay deal, but that’s more because I think we’re ******* spiders with him and my preference is to really invest in a KPF.
I’m thinking more along the lines of the Grundy, Treloar et al tying up salary cap space and limiting the scope for players.

lol hasn't played a decent game in 2 years? I guess that's why he was top 6 in our Copeland last year.

We have picked up our big fish. It's $3m for McStay for 5 years. Now that's the definition of someone who hasn't played a decent game for over 2 years.
Finished in the top six in a year we finished second last, huge effort. Not worth the money by a long shot and the club has made the right decision.

Your comment regarding McStay is asinine at best.

I think he's filling list gaps with a tight cap but it can be dangerous to compare him with what Grelong are doing, They are having an unbelievable trade period.

Maybe we think too highly of GW... I'm not sure he's a genius but perhaps just a good operator. Seems out expectations on BF are high.
Are we going early on Geelong's unbelievable trade period? So far they have gotten a former pick 12, who hasn't shown much, for pick 18 and traded a large number of picks for a mid second. That's it.

lol hasn't played a decent game in 2 years? I guess that's why he was top 6 in our Copeland last year.

We have picked up our big fish. It's $3m for McStay for 5 years. Now that's the definition of someone who hasn't played a decent game for over 2 years.
I don't think you know what 'definition' means

Not sure you’ve been following the debate - I suggest you do the Cap numbers (post Grundy’s exit) after removing $300k for a depth Ruck, and tell us what the remaining Cap gets us in terms of quality.

And if Grundy is as bad as you suggest, why would a flag contender like Melb be interested?
Are any of the other sixteen teams interested? I guess they also are of the opinion that Grundy isn't worth anywhere near the money he is on based on his rapid decline over the last few years.

Impossible to do any of the cap numbers when we don't have the facts and I don't generally speculate. I will leave the guessing to you.

Are any of the other sixteen teams interested? I guess they also are of the opinion that Grundy isn't worth anywhere near the money he is on based on his rapid decline over the last few years.

Impossible to do any of the cap numbers when we don't have the facts and I don't generally speculate. I will leave the guessing to you.
They were interested. Plenty of clubs enquired about him this time around including Port and Geelong. In the end, Grundy chose Melbourne and they're the only club we can deal with given Grundy is contracted so has the ultimate say.

I don't think you know what 'definition' means
Brodie's output may have underperformed his contract but he rarely put in a mediocre performance. He was always consistently still a top tier ruck. May not be worth $1m a season but definitely still worth over $650k.

McStays had many games over the last 2 seasons that can genuinely be defined as mediocre.

Maybe you don't know what 'mediocre' means?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brodie's output may have underperformed his contract but he rarely put in a mediocre performance. He was always consistently still a top tier ruck. May not be worth $1m a season but definitely still worth over $650k.

McStays had many games over the last 2 seasons that can genuinely be defined as mediocre.

Maybe you don't know what 'mediocre' means?
Agree with your first 3 sentences.

Cool - good thing we're not paying McStay $650+ :)

They were interested. Plenty of clubs enquired about him this time around including Port and Geelong. In the end, Grundy chose Melbourne and they're the only club we can deal with given Grundy is contracted so has the ultimate say.
Is it worth all the huff and puff considering Grundy is leaving. Just let it go and move on or even better go support Melbourne where you can be with the grundog for ever

I am hoping we get the future first for Henry. If however they also gave us a future 2nd say PA pick then we probably accept it. This becomes like Henry for 25 and Hill and hopefully a better 2nd round pick next year. They gave away their 2nd yesterday so given they would then need 2 , they are currently not thinking of doing this and the PA future pick goes to GC in their minds.
It would be very similar deal to what we gave Brisbane for Aish when he left after two years, probably comparable players as to what they had shown in those 2 years.
What I think will happen though is we will get a future 3rd and give that to Adelaide for Frampton, still think we should be giving 51 this year for him.

There were at least 4-5 teams interested but Grundy chose Melbourne or nothing.

Alternatively has he done anything particularly noteworthy or pulled any surprises? I wouldn't say I am underwhelmed, though I probably am, but compared to Geelong and some other teams, we are hardly the best operators to date in this trade period. One poster described Wright as a genius. I invite to do something to justify that assessment.
I'm equally conservative in my assessment of GW. "Genius" is both premature and OTT.
I need to check in with the Hawthorn board but from memory GW was good in negotiating deals for the likes of Burgoyne, O'Meara, Lake, Frawley, Mitchell but the pipeline of young talent has dried up.
People also forget that it was Pelchen who built the core list of champions like Hodge, Cyril, S Mitchell, Lewis, Roughead, Breust (sh!t that's a lot!)
Not saying that GW is bad but to call him a genius is misguided.

Plenty of clubs enquired about how much we were prepared to pay towards his ridiculous contract would be closer to the facts I bet.

He chose Melbourne because they were the only team that showed real interest because of the Jackson situation. Grundy must think that he will get a game over Gawn, laughable.

Future first would also get it done. But it looks like the Cats rate next year's draft and don't want to part with it.
That’s the issue. something in the mid first round for Henry is fair.
Geelong have pick 7 and a future first.
one of them has to come our way. preferably The 7 with a sweetener going back their way. It’s then up to them to trade up back into the top 10 of the draft with what they have.

they would be silly not to do the deal with Collingwood over the weekend so they can sort out their next plan. GW has been steadfast in telling them that it has to be a first rounder.

Is it worth all the huff and puff considering Grundy is leaving. Just let it go and move on or even better go support Melbourne where you can be with the grundog for ever
I have accepted Grundy's leaving. It's other posters bringing up my older posts that's continuing the dialogue.

My issue now isn't with Grundy being pushed out but with what we're going to get for him. If we're getting less for him and Henry than we got from Treloar and Stephenson whilst overpaying for average fringe players from other clubs I'll be ropeable.

Plenty of clubs enquired about how much we were prepared to pay towards his ridiculous contract would be closer to the facts I bet.

He chose Melbourne because they were the only team that showed real interest because of the Jackson situation. Grundy must think that he will get a game over Gawn, laughable.
Why would Melbourne only pursue the most expensive, long-term alternative for replacing Jackson?

I'm equally conservative in my assessment of GW. "Genius" is both premature and OTT.
I need to check in with the Hawthorn board but from memory GW was good in negotiating deals for the likes of Burgoyne, O'Meara, Lake, Frawley, Mitchell but the pipeline of young talent has dried up.
People also forget that it was Pelchen who built the core list of champions like Hodge, Cyril, S Mitchell, Lewis, Roughead, Breust (sh!t that's a lot!)
Not saying that GW is bad but to call him a genius is misguided.
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. His history shows he's neither a genius or a patsy but we also don't know what parameters he was working in. Those who have made bold declarations either way about Wright in the middle of the trade are the fools.

I have accepted Grundy's leaving. It's other posters bringing up my older posts that's continuing the dialogue.

My issue now isn't with Grundy being pushed out but with what we're going to get for him. If we're getting less for him and Henry than we got from Treloar and Stephenson whilst overpaying for average fringe players from other clubs I'll be ropeable.
You'll be ropeable. But we're clearing his salary and we'll never know the actual details around that, so we'll never be able to judge the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back