List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

We may trade out picks 25 and 27 for future 2nds

Hoping we can trade out the Pick 51 we can't use to Brisbane for their future 3rd once they match Ashcroft's bid and need to get back into this year's draft (for another bid for Fletcher?)

Hopefully we can trade out one of the pick 25 or 27 for North's second next year given they only have picks 2 and 3 and nothing until 40s this year.

Funniest thing about this is that only 2 of these 3 will be playing senior fotball next season

View attachment 1534790
I think the funniest thing about this trade is that rather than give the Pies a first rounder for Ollie, the Cat's work experience boy running their trades ended up trading: a former first rounder (Stephens), plus 2 second rounders, plus 2 third rounders - hmmm, back to school young Andrew Mackie once you get out of hospital after shooting yourself in the foot.

COLLINGWOOD

Who left:
Brodie Grundy (Melbourne, trade), Ollie Henry (Geelong, trade)

Who arrived: Bobby Hill (GWS, trade), Daniel McStay (Brisbane, free agency), Billy Frampton (Adelaide, trade), Tom Mitchell (Hawthorn, trade)

Draft picks owned: 16, 25, 27, 51

David King says: “I think this is really transitioning into Craig McRae’s list now. He basically picked up a list that was heavily compromised in terms of salary and he really couldn’t make a lot of decisions last year. The first decision he makes is to not invest as much in the ruckman – and then get the speed and turnover game going, which they’re famous for this year. I love the acquisition of Bobby Hill and I think he gets an opportunity in this forward-half to play that blistering speed, back-to-goal game. And maybe I’m against the grain, but I’m a Dan McStay fan and one-on-one his work is really good. He’ll get better opportunities in a different leading pattern in a different way than what he got up north. This system will work for McStay more than the Brisbane system.”

Foxfooty.com.au trade grade: B

Hoping we can trade out the Pick 51 we can't use to Brisbane for their future 3rd once they match Ashcroft's bid and need to get back into this year's draft (for another bid for Fletcher?)

Hopefully we can trade out one of the pick 25 or 27 for North's second next year given they only have picks 2 and 3 and nothing until 40s this year.
Some good ideas there.

Yeah coz we did so poorly in the last half of the season without Grundy didn't we??

I meant it more from the perspective of not having much depth there. Cameron wouldn't want to get nicked up and have to miss games during the season because we'd be in a spot of bother.

I think the funniest thing about this trade is that rather than give the Pies a first rounder for Ollie, the Cat's work experience boy running their trades ended up trading: a former first rounder (Stephens), plus 2 second rounders, plus 2 third rounders - hmmm, back to school young Andrew Mackie once you get out of hospital after shooting yourself in the foot.
Overall I don’t think it was a particularly good outcome, but they got 7 so everything else is cream.

I think despite all the hyperbole, we've come out smashing this draft. The only position we're weaker in 2023 than this year is ruck, and that's only just considering we played most the year without Grundy. Henry and AJ are par for mine in terms of talent, and clear positional needs in Hill and Mcstay with some potential depth or a bargain pick up in Billy. I think in 8 months we have the chance to be laughing about the Mitchell trade. He is as clean as they come and gives us few years to develop some mids to replace pendles. Mitchell handballs out to Naicos who nails mcstay on the lead who handballs to hill running into an open goal. Sounds good to me!

To use Pick 51 in anyway on Draft night we must have the list spots which we will if Poulter and Madgen go.

I think despite all the hyperbole, we've come out smashing this draft. The only position we're weaker in 2023 than this year is ruck, and that's only just considering we played most the year without Grundy. Henry and AJ are par for mine in terms of talent, and clear positional needs in Hill and Mcstay with some potential depth or a bargain pick up in Billy. I think in 8 months we have the chance to be laughing about the Mitchell trade. He is as clean as they come and gives us few years to develop some mids to replace pendles. Mitchell handballs out to Naicos who nails mcstay on the lead who handballs to hill running into an open goal. Sounds good to me!
Good post your name does you no justice

I meant it more from the perspective of not having much depth there. Cameron wouldn't want to get nicked up and have to miss games during the season because we'd be in a spot of bother.
Cox is very good ruck backup. I prefer his ruckwork to Cameron's. We then still have a few options for 2nd ruck.

It's about now you realise that the footy season into the trade period has now finished, and there's a huge lull between now and the draft. It's depressing.
True but if you're like me and a horse racing punting tragic there is some stuff in between to get excited then depressed over

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox, Cameron, Begg, Mcstay, Frampton, Krueger. We have enough coverage in the position.
Plus Wright mentioned we will likely look for some depth rucks to either draft or rookie too

Rating our ins (note that I'm more focused on our list build in the medium to longer term rather than the short):

1. Hill - good to v.good (best 22; age++; gives us that quick, skillful small forward every team wants)
2. McStay - solid to good (best 22; age+; fills a gap at KPF, giving us time till we can recruit/develop others)
3. Mitchell - decent (best 22 mostly; age-; provides cover as inside mid, but not a great fit with Adams; lacks flexibility and impact)
4. Frampton - decent (cover, age++; starts as backup, but has potential to work his way into the 22; flexible cover as back/forward/ruck)

Rating our ins (note that I'm more focused on our list build in the medium to longer term rather than the short):

1. Hill - good to v.good (best 22; age++; gives us that quick, skillful small forward every team wants)
2. McStay - solid to good (best 22; age+; fills a gap at KPF, giving us time till we can recruit/develop others)
3. Adams - decent (best 22 mostly; age-; provides cover as inside mid, but not a great fit with Mitchell; lacks flexibility, struggles to find the football and impact)
4. Frampton - decent (cover, age++; starts as backup, but has potential to work his way into the 22; flexible cover as back/forward/ruck)
Just had to flip a few things round

3. Mitchell - decent (best 22 mostly; age-; provides cover as inside mid, but not a great fit with Adams; lacks flexibility and impact)
Agree with medium to long term view but in the short term Mitchell is a great pick up. And with pendles, sidebottom and Howe in their twilight years we have an opportunity to go for a flag before the medium to long term plans kick in

Good post.

The only area I may differ from you is I prefer short term, as the long term is more difficult to project than short term.

I will rate them with their possible ratings in brackets, from my humble opinion.

So I have them rated as Mitchell (very good to excellent), Hill (good to very good), McStay (decent to good), Frampton (average to decent)

Edit: changed brilliant to excellent for Mitchell.

Cox is very good ruck backup. I prefer his ruckwork to Cameron's. We then still have a few options for 2nd ruck.
Cox was certainly better in the ruck than Cameron in the PF.
Kreuger showed in the short time he was on that he could be a useful backup ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back